Author Topic: Short Shifter - Changing nob  (Read 3022 times)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Short Shifter - Changing nob
« on: May 8, 2012, 04:41PM »
Guys

I know I'm posting a lot of threads but appreciate the help your giving me. It makes working on my car a lot easier.

I'll get a photo (don't have one at the moment) of my short shifter. I want to change the knob as the current gear shift knob is plain with no shift pattern indicated (automatic defect in NSW).

The shifter seems to have a base for the knob welded which means you can only use a certain gear shift knob. My question, how do I get this off.

Like I said I'll get a photo. Hopefully I won't have to replace the short shifter for a frickn gear knob!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Short Shifter - Changing nob
« Reply #1 on: May 8, 2012, 05:27PM »
the gear knob should be threaded. the photo below shows 2 different short shifters vs. stock

if the knob is welded to the shifter then you're in for a spot of trouble removing it. chances are the knob isn't welded. even genuine nismo shift knobs that you pay a bucketload for are internally plastic with an outer brushed aluminium finish

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2012, 07:28PM »
I know I'm posting a lot of threads but appreciate the help your giving me. It makes working on my car a lot easier.

That's what the site is for.. feel free to post up questions though searching is usually encouraged first.  :)

I'll get a photo (don't have one at the moment) of my short shifter. I want to change the knob as the current gear shift knob is plain with no shift pattern indicated (automatic defect in NSW).

If you still like the knob.. just mock up a sticker with the shift pattern. I haven't been in a S15 for awhile but IIRC, the knob has a big S (Silvia style) with a shift pattern sticker stuck nearby on the trim (I think under the Cd Player).

But pretty much what Noss said, they twist on.. than Ebays or Autobarn etc is yours to play with..  ;)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2012, 10:52PM »

Thanks guys. The nob goes on the top half of what is in the picture. There is like an Allan Key screw in the centre but upon closer inspection it is not an allen key screw at all. It also moves as you shift the shifter.

I agree that it probably isn't welded however you can't screw this off and you can't pull it off. I'm stumped!
[/quote]

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #4 on: May 8, 2012, 11:03PM »
From picture one the bottom part that is there should unscrew down, it's a cover.  There should then be some allen key screws that hide under that, that holds it to the shaft.

Chances are if done up too tight without the rubber insert it could have stuffed the thread so you may need to clean it up before trying to screw the new one on. It's a common type of knob that is marketed as a universal to fit all cars because it isn't screwed onto the shifter itself.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: May 9, 2012, 11:17AM »
From picture one the bottom part that is there should unscrew down, it's a cover.  There should then be some allen key screws that hide under that, that holds it to the shaft.

Chances are if done up too tight without the rubber insert it could have stuffed the thread so you may need to clean it up before trying to screw the new one on. It's a common type of knob that is marketed as a universal to fit all cars because it isn't screwed onto the shifter itself.

As soon as I read your post I jumped down to garage and yep, unscrewed the bottom although it was a bit hard at first to undo. Then I saw the Allen key bolts and took it off. I have fitted the new shifter on. At least now I can't get defected for having a shifter with no shift pattern!

Thanks Kranzy (and everyone as well).

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #6 on: May 9, 2012, 12:38PM »
At least now I can't get defected for having a shifter with no shift pattern!

Say what ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: May 9, 2012, 12:42PM »
Say what ?

Failure to display a shift pattern = defect.

Hence OEM S15s which has a gear knob with no shift pattern, have a sticker placed somewhere else in view.

The whole reasoning is if someone in an emergency has to use the car, they will be able to understand the shift pattern... ::)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.