Author Topic: Aftermarket Central Locking - Mongoose  (Read 6430 times)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Aftermarket Central Locking - Mongoose
« on: Apr 15, 2012, 10:43PM »
Hi Guys

I have installed Aftermarket Central Locking on my car. All was going well when I initially tested it but the drivers door got loose and I had to reattach the rod. Wiring all works however one of the wires from the module to the drivers door actuator broke and I resoldered the existing joins, all solid.

When I now lock the car from the drivers side the door lock closes all locks but then pops straight back up and reopens them. I'm stumped as to what is causing it as before it was working fine.

Have you guys had this problem before or known something similar? I'm sure its an easy fix, just don't know what it is.

Offline JAWSTRX!

• antrx.com junkie
  • TRX STYLE!!!
Re: Aftermarket Central Locking - Mongoose
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2012, 12:36AM »
When u soldered that wire did u disconnect the Module? u might have shorted it out or something like that.Another thing is, have u checked u have a proper ground,Join's etc?
TRX 1-FORD FALCON 0

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2012, 11:03AM »
Does it only do it when the door trims are off? or does it pop back up all the time.

I had the same issue with my car. My solution ended up being the lock button that sits through the trim was being pulled on a slightly different angle by the actuator, catching on the door trim and poping back up. I shaved the sides of the button to stop that, and also adjusted the actuator so it was pulling straight up and down rather than on a slight angle which is how it was set up prior to me getting the car.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2012, 11:58AM »
I'll test it tonight or tomorrow but thinking about it logically I think it is the way the rod is attached to the actuator and actuator rod. It works fine with the door trim on.

You can spend more time installing aftermarket actuators then you can taking a turbo and exhaust manifold off the engine!

Will see if the actuator on its own tonight works fine. If not then I know it is the actuator and not linkages. If it does work fine I know its the way I have the rods attached.

Offline Dragon

• What do they call a mini pringle!?!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2012, 07:29PM »
this happened to me, the solenoid rod could be slightly too tight in the unlock position,

1) loosen the rod and lock the door
 2) press the lock button on the central locking
 3) tighten the rod where it sits.

should work all fine after that (may need slight fine tuning)
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2012, 07:34PM by Dragon »
"Noss is GOD"

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Re: Aftermarket Central Locking - Mongoose
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2012, 10:46PM »
As dragon said, but also check the rod isn't twisting around which can also cause it.

Sent from my Xperia Arc using Tapatalk

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2012, 12:31AM »
Coming from someone who fits this stuff every day - Dragon is all over it. Make sure you hold the rod at the angle it normally sits when you readjust the position of the clamp (as Kranzy said).
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2012, 10:54AM »
Thanks guys for the info. I adjusted the actuator rod and it works perfect on both front doors. This brings me to my second problem

How did you guys (who have aftermarket central locking) do the rear doors. The two door rods (one of the handle and the other for the door lock button) are pretty close together which makes mounting the actuator to work horizontally and straight difficult.

Any tips would be appreciated. I looked at ANTRX and there was a thread from years ago with a small picture but the actuator rod seems to still be too much of an angle.

Offline Dragon

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2012, 12:56PM »
well this picture shows how i did the back doors on both of my cars and have never had a problem.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2012, 10:13PM »
Biggest issue I have found with bending the rods is that the actuator doesn't like the alignment however if there is no freeplay it would work fine like with yours Dragon. Thanks for the pics as well!  ;D

My actuators came with slightly thicker rods but I'll try the same.

Only question is that does the door trim allow for good enough room for the actuator and its movement. Guessing so if you've had no issues.

With the gold bracket strip, do you have it only secured on one side as I can only see the actuator is attached to it but not the bracket to the door.

Offline Dragon

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com full member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2012, 10:29PM »
Only question is that does the door trim allow for good enough room for the actuator and its movement. Guessing so if you've had no issues.

With the gold bracket strip, do you have it only secured on one side as I can only see the actuator is attached to it but not the bracket to the door.

yeah There's plenty of operating room between the door trim and the actuator.

the bracket strip is only attached at the side off picture using two screws in the door surround using two of the bracket strips holes so its firm and wont be able to twist (don't have a pic of that part)
"Noss is GOD"

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:42PM »
I'm confident that mine are different to that in the rear, however I dont have any pics. If I remember next time I have the trims off I'll take a pic.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2012, 02:43PM »
I've always connected mine strait to the locking mechanism (as a factory fitted unit would be setup) this avoids using the screw things.  Nothing to work loose, and ensures alignment is direct.  I'll take a pic when I pull the trims off next.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2012, 03:15PM »
I've always connected mine strait to the locking mechanism (as a factory fitted unit would be setup) this avoids using the screw things.  Nothing to work loose, and ensures alignment is direct.  I'll take a pic when I pull the trims off next.

I tried this to one of the rear doors but it doesn't seem to operate the lock well. I'll have to have a look again on the weekend.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2012, 03:25PM »
I just remembered that the only aftermarket motor in mine is the drivers door as ive used the stock Ti central locking motors.

So i can take a pic for you, but it would be worthless lol.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #15 on: May 8, 2012, 11:12AM »
well this picture shows how i did the back doors on both of my cars and have never had a problem.

Dragon, your method works perfect. The only thing I would say to someone else is that you need to bend the upper end of the rod that slots through the clamp as a mirror image of the door lock rod it attaches too. If it is slightly at a different angle the rod won't push correctly.

I had to buy another door locking set to get the actuator rod and clamps. Jaycar sell better door lock sets (given the type of clamps and actuator rods) compared to Mongoose!