Author Topic: A few questions for this Newbie  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Virus

• antrx.com senior member
  • Cpt Sense Of Direction
A few questions for this Newbie
« on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:28PM »
Hi all,

Im quite new to these forums as i have recently been looking for articles on the U12 pintara's and came across this site. SInce then i have read quite a lot of the tech forums and mod forums.
After driving my dad's '92 Pintara Gli since i got my L's (I am 16, turnin 17 in 2 months) I have really grown to like the feel of the car.
Now that my dad's car broke down recently it will be gettin its head reco'd and basically most things repaired or replaced. eg. rings, valves.

Anyway, the car is running a stock CA20E with Extractors.

A few things i am wondering is, with just extractors around how many Kw's AT THE WHEELS would the car have? I have seached all over these forums but have been unable to find anywhere stating around how many Kw's at the wheels this car will have. I know it is 83 at the Fly (well im pretty sure)

Ill also like to know how close id be able to get to 100Kw's for $1000. I wanna get a 3.5" or 4" Cannon Muffler but im not sure whether to get a catback system or full. Would i need a new set of extractors? and i have no idea what else i should get to bring up the power. I will also be putting in a CAI and ive been looking at the antrx.com chips.

Any other recommendations or help would be great

Cheers
Dave

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
Re: A few questions for this Newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:36PM »
Hey mate,
most of what you are asking has been covered in some way shape or form var the dyno figure. I don't know of a ca20e getting Dyno'd. I have a ka so I can't help you there.

Now, as you have said a good start is a antrx chip, a cai will help also. The bigger you go with an exhaust the better. This has been discussed in depth here:

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=6302.0

For $1000 the things I would do is: antrx chip, cai, extractors, exhaust. That would pretty much have spent your 1k and would more than likely give you a 15% power increase over standard.

Perhaps some of the ca guys can point you to a few other ca threads.

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline Colzie

• Type X BITCH!
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:39PM »
yeah thats what i was gunna say, check out the ANTRX.com shop, they have some great mods for  really low prices  ;D
get in my pants!

Offline Virus

• Cpt Sense Of Direction
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:44PM »
@ ChadzaTRX - Thanx for that :) So i guess ill go catback as itsĀ  prob the best value for the amount of power i will actually get out of it, im just confused because im under the impreession the CA20e exaust system is 1.75" through but the cat back system i will get would be 2.5" so how would i be able to mount to cat? cut a bigger whole? :P

@ Colzie - Yea mate, ive been lookin in that shop and just wishin i had a few extra $ to spare to start get some parts :) Unfortunantly i joined too late and missed out on the stickers :(
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2005, 08:47PM by Virus »

Offline Colzie

• Type X BITCH!
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2005, 10:02PM »
i dont think noss has got the stickers ordered yet, perhaps shoot him a pm?

its worth a try!

Welcome to the site dude, hope u enjoy this place as much as i do!
get in my pants!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2005, 01:38AM »
stickers i have ordered last week. i'm just finalising the colours.

as for mods, you said you already have extractors so that will save you a large chunk of cas there. the cat wont be enlarged, it will still be 1.75" in/out, hence the reason the exhaust is a 'cat back' exhaust.. it doesnt include the cat, just everything after it. 2.25" or 2.5" is the best size for your ca20e, most people have 2.25" but i know someone that has 2.5" the chip is a good mod to have as well but i guess i'm supposed to say that cause i sell them :P other than that i cant think of many other mods that would come in under the $1k mark. there is a ca20e cam you can get done but you will have to buy another cam to have it ground.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2005, 02:03AM »
i'd probably budget around the following:

2.25inch cat back zorst - $250
stage two ca20e chip - $170
K&N air pod - $80
CAI - $150
CAM - $176

that'd get you going.... honestly after that the only way i'd go is turbo, port and polish, etc etc etc will make a difference but in MY opinion i dont think its worthwhile...
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline Virus

• Cpt Sense Of Direction
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2005, 01:06PM »
The thing with the exaust is if i get say 2.5" catback how will it mount to the cat? As the cat has 1.75" piping.

also the cams, if i ordered the ones from here it would be 100depoist +170 PP for a set and id get the 100 back when i send my old cams back? but is the new one already supplied (if u know what i mean) or do i have to source another camshaft?

With the mods stated though will that get me pretty close to 100KW at the wheels? I wont be turboing it or nething as I live in VIC and the crappy power/weight crap, plus i wont have the money.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2005, 01:20PM »
No it won't unfortunately. My KA24E is one of a few that are the more heavily modified NA engines here on antrx, and best i could get was 92kw at the wheels with cam, port n polish, reworked combustion chambers (more compression from 8.6 to 9.0:1), 5 degrees advanced timing, extractors with a 2" mandrel bent exhaust (BIGGEST mistake going with only 2" :( but that was 4 yrs ago) and stock flex pipe/cat and a K&N filter in the airbox.
I have since installed a piggyback ecu and my own custom solid lifters, it *could* be close to 100kw at the wheels at the moment, but i have my doubts.

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2005, 02:40PM »
Virus: there is a thing that goes between the end of the cat converter and the start of the piping that is called a "flange" its a metal connector that is on both the end of the cat and the end of the piping so that the two flanges bolt together. Flanges are like metal plates with a hole in them. They screw together with a gasket to make an air-tight fit.

and you only have 1 camshaft, so not 'cams' ;)

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline Virus

• Cpt Sense Of Direction
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2005, 09:59PM »
@ SSS - Thanx for the headsup. oh well ill try and get as mch as i can

@ ChadzaTRX - LOL, thanx for that, i know wha r tlking about now, we had to weld one of those to the extractors to make it fit. well u leearn new stuff every day (about camshaft) learnt a lot since joined this forum ;)

Edit: sorry about the bad spelling, stupid wirelesskboard is almos flat
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2005, 10:01PM by Virus »