Author Topic: after market Ecu?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Barnett

• antrx.com senior member
  • Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
after market Ecu?
« on: Dec 25, 2003, 08:09PM »
hi guys,

i am thinking of doing a few performance mods to my car......cam, ecu. i have done the pod and exaust, but i still want to achieve more power........so if i got a cam, what would be a good ECU to go to? and what costs are involved?
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?

SaMmYJ

Re:after market Ecu?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2003, 02:49AM »
microtec lt8 cost 1150 with hand contoller 1000 without if u shop around

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2003, 02:58PM »
Unless you are going to go nuts on the engine, ie forced induction/hardcore NA, aftermarket standalone ECU's aren't worth it.
They are only really suitable for hardcore NA if you are going to use high lift/long duration cams, quad tb's where conversion from MAF to MAP sensor is essential, high compression etc; for forced induction to control larger injectors, alter timing under boost etc.

Piggyback ECU's however are a different matter. Myself and Noss run a unit from Perfect Power called the SMT6, and they will be tuned to provide timing adjustment/increased fuelling with the turbo setups. They work by intercepting and modifying signals going to the std ECU, and can do such things as drive extra injectors, activate a switchpoint (ie shift light for one example) etc. The unit is worth about $590 from Powerchip in Sth melbourne and i think shits over units like the Greddy E-manage which is twice the price, which i was going to get initially.
Their site is www.perfectpower.com, software is free from their site.
If you can't tell, i really like the SMT6.  ;D

Offline zac510

• antrx.com junior member
  • Not a llama, thanks!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2003, 11:12PM »
If you have a big cam quad TB setup you might prefer the throttle vs rpm mapping that an aftermarket ECU can provide (eliminates the possibility of a poor signal from the MAP). but until someone has tweaked the KA24 ecu a piggyback is probably best.

SammyJ, expect to pay that again for installation and tuning so its not really cheap.

Offline Barnett

• antrx.com senior member
  • Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2003, 12:51AM »
wicked guys thanx for that info, allthough i would love to get a SMT6 coz they sound sweet little bit expensive though, so i might wait until i get my next car which will be either an 8 or turbo 4 ;)
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2003, 03:21PM »
hey sssgtr... do u have any idea how much it would cost to get the smt6 tuned by a pro.... id love to do it myself when/if i get one 1 day but i dont have a laptop

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2003, 04:35PM »
No idea what it would cost, i am tuning my own smt on a dyno.

RubberBerner

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2003, 06:03PM »
Here in the USA we have JWT ( JimWolfTechnologies.com ), badass tuning company, i've been tuning my all motor KA24e for 2 years and thier ECU has never given me any difficulties... im not sure about shipping and stuff from Aussie, but that could be like a last resort for ya.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2003, 07:56PM »
i've heard they are good, a lot of NA -> Turbo guys use them....however i have heard some not so good things, mainly about the amount of timing they run.