Author Topic: 13b-T into a u12  (Read 7354 times)

Offline datt0boy

• antrx.com junior member
13b-T into a u12
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:47PM »
hey all this might be a bit of a silly/stupid question but does anyone know if you could put a 13b-T rotary into a U12 pintara superhatch and if any1 has heard or seen in been done before??

thanx

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
Re: 13b-T into a u12
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:49PM »
i reckon the wind would cause it would flip up on its roof driving in a straight line because there wouldn't be enough weight at the front.
Whats your budget?
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:48PM »
I reckon it'd be possible, but it'd need a LOT of custom work.

I saw a rotor-powered Bluebird TRX at a servo today.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:09PM »
Budget about $20k to have all the work done, engineered and legal.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:26PM »
If you are contemplating it, why not go for a 20B.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline datt0boy

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 04:51PM »
budget atm is about 10-15k

all the labour is gona be free as my dad is a licenced mechanic and will be doing all the labour as will i!

yea my main issue is the enginering certs and stuff!!

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:02PM »
No offence, but why put 15k into a 3000 dollar car. A attessa model would be a wiser choice.

Ill get flamed for this post but thats my thought's.

A rotary aren't really the most reliable motor's.

Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:55PM »
k go, be different, but expect fuck all traction

and i dont know how ur going to configure it to be fwd..
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2007, 12:19AM »
and i dont know how ur going to configure it to be fwd..

I'm just guessing here... but maybe he'll turn the engine 90° to the way it sat in the donor RX7 and mate it up to the gearbox of his Pintara. At a guess.  ::)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2007, 08:11AM »
I'm just guessing here... but maybe he'll turn the engine 90° to the way it sat in the donor RX7 and mate it up to the gearbox of his Pintara. At a guess.  ::)

lol

but i agree with dave about using a bluey... if only for the Awd. (now that i think of it wasn't there an awd bluey wagon prototype for sale somewhere?)

other than that i wish you good luck.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2007, 09:06AM »
hey all this might be a bit of a silly/stupid question but does anyone know if you could put a 13b-T rotary into a U12 pintara superhatch and if any1 has heard or seen in been done before??

thanx

You're asking the wrong people, and no offence, but it sounds like you've had a half assed idea and haven't thought it through.

dave is right. spending $15k on a $3k car is ridiculous.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2007, 09:57AM »
You're asking the wrong people, and no offence, but it sounds like you've had a half assed idea and haven't thought it through.

*ahem*  8)

:P

But yeah. Its a task. It can be done. But the question is why? Front wheel drive rotary? *Shakes head* silly idea. Im all up for radical mods, but only if its worth it. Put a rotary in a bluebird and expect to destroy the AWD gearbox on first boot. Remember these things rev like motorbikes (15K RPM!!) and transferring that to a gearbox that can barely handle a lightly tuned sr20? Unless ur looking at spending that kinda cash on straight cut gears, bellhousing reinforcements, driveshafts, differentials and halfshafts (plus custom forged cv joints and splines) expect it to be a fun toy... for about 5 seconds.

But, give it a go, and prove us all wrong!  ;D

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:06AM »
it baffles me that everyone is assuming fwd.. where has this guy said fwd?

says the guy with the gt35/40 ::)

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline datt0boy

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:18AM »
i never said its wot im doing!!! i was only asking as an idea to see if it had been done and if it was at all possible!!

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:29AM »
No offence, but why put 15k into a 3000 dollar car. A attessa model would be a wiser choice.
A rotary aren't really the most reliable motor's.
Lol at that comment also....$15,000 on a $3,000 car? Does that make spending $60,000 on a $20,000 car dumb? Yes but people do it!  ;D

I've heard that rotors are quite reliable if they are well serviced and rebuilt every 70,000kms. Thats a rebuild every few years...worth it for the power. I've heard of even a NA rotor making 350kw atw.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:47AM »
so i guess threads of this nature here are equivalent to teamnse's threads on intakes?

Offline datt0boy

« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:59AM »
you can push rotors hard without the fear of them breaking and fucking up on u more than u can with a 4-banger!!!

and properly tuned etc can get big dyno numbers aswell!

its still only in the idea stage atm though!

Offline LC_TRX

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2007, 11:58AM »
wat would you be wanting to use the car for? day to day use or specificly racing?

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2007, 02:22PM »
it baffles me that everyone is assuming fwd.. where has this guy said fwd?

Yeah thats what i was thinking when ppl start talking FWD... when I read it, I immediately thought RWD.  In which case it would be best to get a AWD version with the tunnel for drive shaft... that would be possible.  Then also for the accounting minded people its a $8000 car so spending $15k on it isnt quite so crazy?

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2007, 07:16PM »
you can push rotors hard without the fear of them breaking and fucking up on u more than u can with a 4-banger!!!

yeh, and rebuild them every 6months.  ::)
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline fraz

• bandit!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2007, 07:40AM »
There are a few fwd rotors cruising round nz, mostly into 323's and a couple of corollas.
Fastest one i have seen is a 12a turbo in a mini with a corona 4 speed turbo fwd box.

You just have to make an adapter plate, and some new engine mounts.
You wouldnt be able to fit it to a 4wd box as the transfer case would hit the motor. even with fwd you will have a hard time with the exhaust as it exits the housings just about dead in line with the front half shaft
you can get out of a ukrainian prison for 2 packs of marlbro and a bottle of vodka....

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
Q
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2007, 08:37AM »
Yeah thats what i was thinking when ppl start talking FWD... when I read it, I immediately thought RWD.  In which case it would be best to get a AWD version with the tunnel for drive shaft... that would be possible.

When my brother got a half cut it came with a SR20DE and auto AWD box. The fire walls are the same. Under the drivers seat is the only difference. A section for the cat. The whole gearbox and transfere are in the engine bay. You will have to modify the firewall for a rear wheel drive gearbox. Get a RX7, cheaper by far and makes more sense.

you can push rotors hard without the fear of them breaking and fucking up on u more than u can with a 4-banger!!!]
The rotor might not fail. But I guarentee the apex seal will alot faster then piston rings will.

I've heard that rotors are quite reliable if they are well serviced and rebuilt every 70,000kms. Thats a rebuild every few years...worth it for the power. I've heard of even a NA rotor making 350kw atw.

Rebuilt every 70 000km's, I dont consider that reliable, I consider a petrol or diesel piston engine a hell of alot more reliable. I know of a KA24E Navara will 380 000km's on the clock on original rings and pistons. I know of a TB42E powered GQ patrol with 500 000km's on the clock and its the original engine. A TD42 powered GQ ute with 800 000km's on the clock on the original motor. Thats what I call a reliable motor.

Rotary's are alright for a weekend drag strip car but not a everyday car. Cost as much as a petrol 4X4 to run aswell.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2007, 11:51AM by dave-trx »

Good old Nissan.

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2007, 08:53AM »
how about using an r31 pintara wagon? they are rwd already... and i've seen examples sell for around $500 so they're definately in your budget  :D

....corona 4 speed turbo fwd box.

was that Auto? they never sold the fwd ones here in Aus.

nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2007, 04:26PM »
When my brother got a half cut it came with a SR20DE and auto AWD box. The fire walls are the same. Under the drivers seat is the only difference. A section for the cat. The whole gearbox and transfere are in the engine bay. You will have to modify the firewall for a rear wheel drive gearbox. Get a RX7, cheaper by far and makes more sense.
The rotor might not fail. But I guarentee the apex seal will alot faster then piston rings will.

I know you hate me doing this dave, but they arent the same champ :)

There is a fair bit more thats differant past the bits under the drivers seat in an AWD '12
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2007, 11:52AM »
Rebuilt every 70 000km's, I dont consider that reliable, I consider a petrol or diesel piston engine a hell of alot more reliable. I know of a KA24E Navara will 380 000km's on the clock on original rings and pistons. I know of a TB42E powered GQ patrol with 500 000km's on the clock and its the original engine. A TD42 powered GQ ute with 800 000km's on the clock on the original motor. Thats what I call a reliable motor.

Rotary's are alright for a weekend drag strip car but not a everyday car. Cost as much as a petrol 4X4 to run aswell.

I think that you are talking about a completely different thing. Comparing an engine which is built to last with a performance engine can be an unfair comparison in my eyes. Oh well, some people dont like rotors, no need to drag him down for thinking outside the sr20det or ka24et idea.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2007, 04:10PM »
I know you hate me doing this dave, but they arent the same champ

There is a fair bit more thats differant past the bits under the drivers seat in an AWD '12

Ryan are you refering to the fuel tank and the rear suspension, tail shaft mounts etc. If so yeah I knew about them.

Good old Nissan.

Offline fraz

• bandit!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2007, 07:51PM »
Ryan are you refering to the fuel tank and the rear suspension, tail shaft mounts etc. If so yeah I knew about them.

Steering rack is different, front suspension pickup points are different, firewall is differnt - the strength is in a different place to suit the different tunnel and missing north/south crossmember.
you can get out of a ukrainian prison for 2 packs of marlbro and a bottle of vodka....

Offline datt0boy

« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:07AM »
thanx for the backup cruizer

im just wanting to have an original car with a different idea!! i like being different

Offline MAG86

• antrx.com senior member
  • L24ET on the way.....
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:08PM »
I say get a $300 R31, instead of a $3000 HN/U12... and save yourself $2700!!!!

Then you will only be forking out $12,300 on your un streetable  2 rebuilds a year fuel eating monster that vapourises gearboxes for fun...

I cant believe this post has the amount of replies it has, cmon guys dont get the kids hopes up... come back to the real world.
[0O\======/O0]

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:55PM »
I say go for it if your heart's set on it. Just don't expect it to be cheap.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:27AM »
I cant believe this post has the amount of replies it has, cmon guys dont get the kids hopes up... come back to the real world.
Thanks Mr Fun Police .....
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:28AM »
Lol at that comment also....$15,000 on a $3,000 car? Does that make spending $60,000 on a $20,000 car dumb? Yes but people do it!  ;D
Absolutely, a friend of mine spent $200,000 on an XR6 Turbo - just to make it the most powerful XR6T in the country (in the world?)
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline bren24

« Reply #32 on: Feb 28, 2007, 01:27PM »
first thing you have to work out is for a road car will the engineers approve of the mod, talk to them and work with them b4 you start any work,

comparing rotary with 4 cylinder engine,
piston engine is set up to last, when running big power out of these they need rebuilding about every 2000ks same with the rotary,

but if its being set up as a daily driver you want reliability, so 150000 + ks piston engine are good for this

the RX8 is better on fuel then XR6 T, but they are reliability designed cars if you are after power that all changes

so go for it, but im not sure you will be able to keep under your 15k limit going in a FWD as a lot more things need to be changed in order to make the rotary fit, where a RWD theres less changes need made

well thats my 2bobs worth