Author Topic: Petition! Change the view of the modified car scene!!!  (Read 2374 times)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
I know these petitions are generally viewed as useless, but maybe the government will pay attention when they realise we're not such a small minority and we are a large group of voters.

http://www.streetcommodores.com/petition/index.php
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tarring of the greater car-enthusiast community with the same brush as the hoon minority by mainstream media and the government is unfair and unjust.

With an aftermarket industry worth over AUD$200 million in exports annually (representing over 21 percent of all exports by Australian component manufacturers), the size and strength of the modified car community in this country can not be underestimated.

Australia boasts a massive car-enthusiast base that can be witnessed at such events such as the annual Summernats Festival, held in Canberra each January. It attracts more than 1500 entrants and over 30,000 spectators over the weeklong celebrations. Similar events are held nationwide, year round, each and every year, and the scene continues to grow.

The inflammatory, oft-exaggerated and ill-informed stories appearing on televisions around the country portray all modified-car owners as mindless, dangerous hoons. It’s as though they were criminals on a similar level to thieves and rapists.

Despite this, the majority of people who enjoy customising their vehicles are just regular people. They would rather spend their money on personalising and improving their vehicles than blowing their cash on drugs, alcohol or other consumer items.

Modified-car owners in Australia spend millions each year in the local economy buying items to improve the looks and performance of their vehicles. For the most part, they use their vehicles in a safe and sensible manner.

However, there will always be a minority in any sub-culture or sector of society that play the fool. Why, then, is the greater car-loving community singled out by the mainstream media and collective governments to be victimised for the actions of the few?

We don’t see farmers, sport shooters, security staff or other gun owners condemned for owning guns just because the minority is out in the streets shooting people. Nor do we see all computer owners persecuted when we have a minority out there using PCs for fraud, child abuse and other atrocities.

So, why are all modified-car owners humped into this seemingly unique position of being victimised because of the minority?

Why are the general public effectively told to frown upon all modified car owners as subhuman, dangerous or low-brow just because the few act the fool while the majority are decent, tax paying, hard working and productive members of our society?

It is time to reverse this mindset. It is time that the mainstream media and all levels of government cease their persecution of modified-car owners because of the minority.

Stop the police targeting of modified cars to search for generally non-existent defects while a stream of rusted-out, poorly maintained heaps rattle by unnoticed. These present more of a danger to the community and the environment than someone’s pride and joy ever could.

Help us to turn around the public perception of modified-car owners as being a menace to society. Let them see that they have only ever been shown the minority in action – not the community-minded, hard-working majority.

It is time that the country sees the truth, and it is time the government stops allowing themselves to be swayed by the ill-informed public perception that has been fed by the mainstream media for far too long.

Work with the modified-car community and not against it. Street Commodores believes that it is time that the modified car as a whole stood up to be counted to give a display of strength and solidarity against the injustices being perpetuated against us each and everyday.

We're a big community. We drive modified cars, and we vote, just like everyone else.
If you want the government to understand just how many of us there are, and just how much power we wield come election time, add your name to this petition. We're aiming to get at least 10,000 signatures, and then we will submit it to the powers that be.

The time for talking has come to an end. It is now time to act. We're sick and tired of being persecuted for driving a modified car. Are you?

When we get the 10,000 signatures, we will send this petition to the relevant government departments as a demonstration of our solidarity and to send the message that we as a community have had enough. Add your name to the list today and ensure that all your car-loving friends do the same.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline phantom

• antrx.com senior member
  • The Fighting Ninth
Re: Petition! Change the view of the modified car scene!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2007, 02:21PM »
well i signed it. i think its a good idea, but i doubt the chances of success...

Offline FuzzyDropbear

• L26 Boost Junkie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2007, 02:40PM »

The time for talking has come to an end. It is now time to act. We're sick and tired of being persecuted for driving a modified car. Are you?

Hell yeah! I'm sick of being unfairly persecuted for driving around in my completely un-modified Pinny  :D

However, I do plan on modifying it when I get a real job so I'm signing, though I'm not sure how much good it will actually do. As it's the general public (who don't even know how to change their oil) and the social perception of the car enthusiast which need to be targeted by an action such as this. But I'm not sure the general public will ever understand why we modify cars. They're just happy driving around in their commodore, laser etc. that looks like every other one out there. Probably because they don't really care about their car I guess, which is a bad thing. However, I think we all know that hey?

But you never know I guess, if we put this on all the enthusiast forums then it might stand a chance with a large following.
Datsun boys, we like 'em fast, so we drop 'em low, heavy on the gas!

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2007, 11:56PM »
Signed.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2007, 11:09AM »
scibbled...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2007, 12:29PM »
Signed  :)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2007, 05:44PM »
not signed

Offline trxnut

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2007, 05:55PM »
LOL
Had a TRX, then a U13

Now i got a mz20 soarer....yeah im a traitor!

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2007, 06:52PM »
Signed,

What we need is for a big name car modifyer/builder like Laurie Grima (PRO-556, it is a chevy wagon with '55 rear end and '56 front end, weird story, ask and I will tell it) or Joe Gawchi (pronounced GOW-CHI). This might help by showing that car modifiers are not hoons but want to show thier pride and joy off, and just have fun, not become a menace by doing illegal burnouts/street racing.

Edit: I was looking t some of the bullshit signing on the petition, I think some of the non-genuine ones will impact the overall count of the petition. Some of the names are: Constable care, cars suck, Peter Brock (would be nice but unfortunately he is dead), tickle me elmo etc etc.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2007, 07:30PM by Langers_87 »

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2007, 07:45PM »
prob about half of the names are just bullshit from idiots...and there pics all over it ...i think they need to delete most of the crap out of it.