Author Topic: Why is this department so dead?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
Why is this department so dead?
« on: Feb 5, 2006, 10:33PM »
I've been thinking about making a post like this for a while, and after talking to cruizer and others, i've decided to finally make it.

after talking, i really find it quite a shame that this section has remained untouched.  i know that there is more or less an unwritten law to say that u12's should not be developed in terms of style, and i really want to know why.  style is such a huge part of the car scene, and it seems like we (as a club) are really being let down because of the ongoing opinion that u12's shouldn't be styled, aside from a nice set of 5 spoke racing rims (i admit, a bit of a generalisation, but valid nonetheless)

it seems like the lack of support that some people recieve deters them from trying to be innovative and different, which i think is most distressing.  what is the problem with someone wanting to try something different, from something as simple as adding some chrome rims, all the way to people wanting to put an entire theme to their car.  i don't think its fair that some people should be alienated because of their opinions as to how they want their car to look.  as an enthusiast, a car should look, do and be whatever the owner wants to express through their vehicle.  is it so wrong for someone to make their car so attractive (regardless of performance) to the point that people will look at their car go by and think "far out.  that looks awesome."?

i firmly believe that the u12 is an excellent base for styling mods and has lots of potential to be head turners, and i think that there are many of us who have kept quiet about our ideas because they're afraid of being outed.  i think that its time that we start opening our minds to new ideas and possibilities, and start sharing them openly, without fear of being flamed to death.   
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Why is this department so dead?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 5, 2006, 10:41PM »
I agree totally. Im in the middle of styling my car at the moment which is going to be on the quiet in terms of pics/discriptions until its all done so i can post up pics and hopefully get the response your looking for..."wow that looks awesome"

I think the main problem with it is people that mod there car for looks and cant back it up. I know that performance isnt everything but if you've shown it has potential you should be able to back it up with something more than visual mods and a nasty exhaust.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #2 on: Feb 5, 2006, 10:48PM »
do lighting mods count as styling? if so i'll make a nice little thread with pics etc on all the stuff in my car.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Feb 5, 2006, 10:58PM »
I was glad when you said you were going to bring this up. I am keen to modify my car in a VIP style but have been rather subdued with this cos of the crap i was worried i was going to cop for getting chrome wheels etc. I see my car as a way to express myself and thats how I see my car looking to the best of its potential.

The beauty about the car scene is that it is so varied. People stick a $1800 audio system in sh*t boxes. Why? Cos they like their sound. People build sleepers, look average bout go like anything. Others just concentrate on looks. Its all opinion.

I personally am keen to concentrate on looks. I don't really see the point of shoe horning a turbo in mine because i don't see the point on the street! But I still respect bungs for sticking a turbo in his. Also their is speed limits and I'm not keen on losing my licence so i just plan to make mine turn heads (once i get cash).

Hope this allows people to see that being close minded can subdue other peoples aspirations.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Feb 5, 2006, 10:58PM »
do lighting mods count as styling? if so i'll make a nice little thread with pics etc on all the stuff in my car.

Get a thread going mate!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Feb 5, 2006, 11:03PM »
Power isnt just for street use. Look at nissman he has one of the fastest NA pintaras at the moment and all his work is for when he takes it to the track. Thats where the real fun is...beef the car up so when you get the chance you can still drive fast.

Yeah its all opinion but to me too much of one and not enough of another doesnt make a good balance overall.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #6 on: Feb 5, 2006, 11:22PM »
agreed kranzy. I reckon i've got a pretty good balance of performance and visual mods.
I also created the thread showing off my interior light work.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Feb 6, 2006, 06:31AM »
look at my sss grille thread :P
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Feb 6, 2006, 07:13AM »
while it's nice to have a car that looks good, it's not up on my priority list. Power is number one for me.

That being said, i'll be happy once i've resprayed the car so it looks half decent.

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #9 on: Feb 6, 2006, 07:31AM »
everyone has different priorities when it comes to modiying their car, and i can see both sides of the argument...
and it DOES seem that everytime someone expresses their interest to do something different to their car, a whole bunch of guy here advise them against it, and force their idea's and opinions onto others...
but at the same time, some most people dont have the funds to modify in both the performance and styling department, and simply choose to go performance for the sheer thrill (this seems to be the older half of antrx and the modifying community in general), and although their are alot of performaced based modders who are younger, the majority of younger modifyers tend to go visual mods mixed with light performance based...
i dont think that either way is good or bad, its just up to the individual, and either way i cant wait to see some nice riced, VIP, performance based or visual based U12's...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #10 on: Feb 6, 2006, 09:46AM »
yeh its all about what you want.. however people will still tell you you are an idiot if

a) they dont like your idea
b) you are in fact an idiot

if its a), the fuck them.. if i listened to everything some people said on here, i wouldnt have clear indicator lenses, i wouldnt have a hid lighting kit and i wouldnt have a dvd in the car.

things such as 'altezza' lights are always going to be frowned upon, 90% of antrx members will agree that it will look crap, but if you want to fork out the money for totally custom altezza's, and you will be happy with the result.. do it. its your car, your money. there is then the spoiler vs. no spoiler look. there are people on both sides of the fence.. who cares? certainly not me. as long as you like it, thats all that matters.

adam is always going to be about performance, owning a sleeper, all that stuff, but thats adam, and adam being who he is, he'll always tell you that neons are shit, but that doesnt mean he is sitting there saying 'no you cant have them' it just means that he wouldnt have them in his car.

ultimately, i think there is the issue as jecks mentioned with antrx owners not being able to afford to mod their cars. decent visual or performance mods cost money, antrx is 5 years old, when it started, the u12 was a little more pricey, antrx had older members that made more money to spend on their cars.. also in that 5 years, a lot of mods, performance and visual, have been performed and posted about by its members.. as time has gone on and the price of the u12 has dropped, antrx is getting mainly young kids in their first car working part time jobs and studying at the same time. some dont even have a half decent base to start from.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Feb 6, 2006, 10:52AM »
Hummm...

Good thread Siltara.

I am keen to modify my car in a VIP style but have been rather subdued with this cos of the crap i was worried i was going to cop for getting chrome wheels etc.

If you want to take a time warp... here is my old car (before I got the bluebird).

Now I'm sure some people around here would have been a bit "yuck" when I first posted about the rims I got for the corsair.  But after a little while, once the 15% tint was done... the Ti chrome door handles, super low king springs and a resprayed front end it didn't look half bad.  Although, amoung my friends it was known as the sexy-slug as it was SOO slow :)

You know what, I think half the cars I see that are done up look like shit.

But thats my opinion, nothing more... and I am allowed to express it.

It might be because the wheels simply don't match the car, the car is all done up and still at stock height... or its lowered but running stock wheels and a stupidly expensive stereo leaving the engine untouched, maybe with an over-done bodykit.

I think antrx has ALWAYS had a prejudice against 'rice' (visual modifications only with very little/nothing done handling/engine wise).  I agree with this prejudice as I find most of the people and cars I have met that have a lean towards this type of modification are... well... wankers!  I mean neons all over a stock car, shit like that... stickers everywhere...

But yeah, if you've done something to your car and you think it looks kickass.  Post about it.

But don't be naive and think everyone here will love it.  Some will, others will kick your ass through their keyboard :P
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #12 on: Feb 6, 2006, 11:46AM »
The thing I love about Antrx is that it has something that almost noone has in a forum.

True Style.

None of this "rice" crap, huge GTI-R bonnet style vents, no wings that stick up higher than the roof, no outrageous bodykits hitting every speed hump in sight.

I like to think of Antrx as the Aston Martin club of 4 cylinders. I loved the huge fuss over the Nismo front bar, that by all other standards, was very subtle... but to anyone with knowledge of what it meant, was the biggest change anyone could do to their car!

I believe the U12 is a thing of beauty. A diamond in the rough. Sleek lines, nice curves, aggressive shape. Subtle changes can completely change the way it looks.

Im all for visual appeal! But like noss stated, some of us just cant afford to get the kit that we want (kit as in equipment, not just body kit... lol pardon the pun). I am just the kind of person noss is talking about, student, little cash, first car. Hell, i payed 3G for the car!

But it is a shame people dont put enough emphasis on modifying the U12 into a work of art.

Shes worth it!

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: Feb 6, 2006, 12:11PM »
i thought i should add, i see myself as having a style and performance goal with my car.. style wise, i am not going over the top, but i am certainly making the effort to make my t stand out from the rest. i have a definate goal, and i'm getting there quicker than i had hoped, but i'm still doing it properly.. the reason i dont use this board though is because there are no major questions i need to ask, and i dont see the point in posting my progress here, because i'll post it in my project thread. i know what i want, and i know how to achieve it, i have all the parts, its just taking the time to get it done and get it done right.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline TRXXX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #14 on: Feb 6, 2006, 12:20PM »
Yeh i agree to a extent, im not young and im not old but i like a car that has good performance mods and looks nice on the outside.
The older ppl in antrx do visual mods too just nothing rediculous like neons etc, but wen a pintara looks completely stok it looks like a granny car so wen ur under the age of 25 why would u want to run around in a granny car u gotta bring a style to it.
What i reckon is balance the mods on engine wise and visual and u will have a good car :D

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #15 on: Feb 6, 2006, 09:08PM »
i must admit, its a bit of a relief to read this post without a single flame in sight.  i logged on this morning, expecting to find a shit storm brewing, only to find that people actually contributed how they felt to the post, rather than cutting other people down.

budge, those chrome door handles are the shiz-nit.  they're hot as..

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 6, 2006, 10:15PM »
i firmly believe that the u12 is an excellent base for styling mods and has lots of potential to be head turners...

Well SIR_TRX's car is a testament to that, it is the only U12 that comes to mind as having both show AND go. And I believe Glenn is in his 30s.

I'd love to be able to afford a nice looking, fast car. But with my income at the moment I'm flat out paying for both visual and mechanical repairs.

I'll probably only mildly modify my car for both looks and performance but I like to read about what everyone else is doing with their cars, so hop to it and post away!
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #17 on: Feb 7, 2006, 09:49AM »
no doubt that SIR_TRX is the reigning king in terms of having the guts in the engine to back up his sweet looking ride. 

but i look forward to some people who are now thinking about challenging sir_trx for the top spot in visual pleasure.  its a high benchmark, but i reckon there's plenty who are up to the challenge

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #18 on: Feb 7, 2006, 09:54AM »
I loved parts of glenn's car.  Mainly the rear bar, which I thought looked simply awesome...

I guess I'm fussy about colour co-ordination but I never liked the yellow interior versus ford blueprint on the outside.

But yeah, its a hot car.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #19 on: Feb 7, 2006, 11:56AM »
Yea i really liked the really bar aswell ! ....should get it made up for part of a kit or something for the u12 .......

Offline TRXXX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #20 on: Feb 7, 2006, 07:34PM »
yeh i agree if someone can get a mould done

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #21 on: Feb 7, 2006, 08:54PM »
first of all cruiser -- u want PIMP VIP get an auto LOL

second take a look at DJJONB who is selling his car.

hes got the chromies and i knida like the look of them - he may even sell the car without the wheels and u may pick up a nice set ;)

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #22 on: Feb 7, 2006, 08:57PM »
first of all cruiser -- u want PIMP VIP get an auto LOL

second take a look at DJJONB who is selling his car.

hes got the chromies and i knida like the look of them - he may even sell the car without the wheels and u may pick up a nice set ;)

I didnt think you liked chrome after I asked you...but hey i like the change in opinion!

Nah i've got my eyes set on a certain one already...

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #23 on: Feb 7, 2006, 09:25PM »
no chromies on dj jonb's car look smick!!!

dont personall like them in general, but this one looks nice.

just been put off by the numebr of chromies i see of wogs commos, especially tonight when i was at trainign at henley beach!!

Offline VladIvanovic

• antrx.com junkie
    • My Company/Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: Feb 9, 2006, 01:29PM »
I was glad when you said you were going to bring this up. I am keen to modify my car in a VIP style but have been rather subdued with this cos of the crap i was worried i was going to cop for getting chrome wheels etc. I see my car as a way to express myself and thats how I see my car looking to the best of its potential.

The beauty about the car scene is that it is so varied. People stick a $1800 audio system in sh*t boxes. Why? Cos they like their sound. People build sleepers, look average bout go like anything. Others just concentrate on looks. Its all opinion.

I personally am keen to concentrate on looks. I don't really see the point of shoe horning a turbo in mine because i don't see the point on the street! But I still respect bungs for sticking a turbo in his. Also their is speed limits and I'm not keen on losing my licence so i just plan to make mine turn heads (once i get cash).

Hope this allows people to see that being close minded can subdue other peoples aspirations.

mmm been reading lots of HPI (actually got a 10month subscription) and theyve been featuring heaps of VIP Vehicles, I'd definately say youve got the right idea for a really original U12 cruizer ;D
Start up a thread maybe and just post up ya ideas for paintjob colour, the type of rims ya want, and just general plans for it...
that way were not offtopic in this thread at least :P

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #25 on: Feb 9, 2006, 04:41PM »
okay mate, I'll start up a thread in this section. If mods think I should not have it in, they can delete it.

Offline nizu12

• antrx.com junior member
  • Banned.
« Reply #26 on: Mar 5, 2006, 02:33PM »
THE U12'S KICK MAXIMUM ASS, especially style wise the have a great shape. believe it or not but the u12 trx is my dream car, at the moment I own a u12 executive, it goes extremely well mechanically and is soon to be transformed into a trx (hopefully) simply with a trx body kit, but the lack of aftermarket parts for this car is making it bloody hard. If you get laughed at for modifying a u12, FUCK EM' they are a great looking car stock and with some decent rims, paint work and body kit they are even sicker :P

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 5, 2006, 06:06PM »
THE U12'S KICK MAXIMUM ASS

Which is the reason most of us are here ::)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!