Author Topic: neons wiring  (Read 2226 times)

Offline KMA_TRX

• antrx.com junior member
  • mine
neons wiring
« on: Feb 4, 2006, 01:04PM »
 Hey all about 2 months ago i crashed well i stopped in front of some1 and the went into me...mostly into the tire....anyway the little mazda 121 was gone and my rear sway bar broke...waiting for a custom one from japan...still! anyway should be getting it back soon and since i havnt had petrol for a while iv saved up abit and iv decided screw it im getting neons inside and out but i wouldnt have a clue how to wire it and i dont think my cigereete lighter works. also im colour blind so wiring is kinda difficult for me coz i have to test every wire. im also thinking of spraying the car a ford shockwave blue would that mean i should stay away from blue neons?

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
Re: neons wiring
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4, 2006, 01:27PM »
If your gunna do Neons inside and out, ill reccommend running a power cable direct from the battery, through a fuse, then wire it all up from there. Save you the hassle of splicing wires and stuff, also i dont like putting too much drain through the internal fuse box.

Remember to wire a switch tho, or, you could do what i did with my other car, and wire it to the door switches, so when you open the doors it all glows!

Blue car, blue neons? I dunno. Maybe?  ???

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 6, 2006, 09:43PM »
Neons draw bugger all current, so you can wire them up to almost any circuit in your car without overloading it.

I'd take power either from the dome light (for neons that light up when you open the door) or from the dash lights circuit.

If you want to hook into your dash lights, there's a little light bulb socket behind your cigarette lighter socket, wire the neons to it, and if they don't light up, switch the wires over and try again.

Blue on blue would look alright, but it's highly illegal ;)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline KMA_TRX

• mine
« Reply #3 on: Feb 7, 2006, 11:50AM »
with the underbody kits though i heard the  break often from rocks and stuff like that could i simply put a clear cover over them???

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 7, 2006, 05:49PM »
Yes, you could, but all neons I've seen come with a plastic tube around them.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 7, 2006, 06:19PM »
Can i ask why you want neons if you can't see the colour of them anyway? And yes as jono said the neons come with covers. Also when you get the neons the pack should say how to install them. Put them up as high and hidden as possible. Looks better when all you see is the glow instead of the tubes.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 7, 2006, 06:57PM »
Looks better when all you see is the glow instead of the tubes.

Agreed

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #7 on: Feb 8, 2006, 12:59AM »
Neons do come with clear covers, but some CCFL tubes dont, and are very fragile.

An idea to use, which is what i had in my old car as well, is EL-Wire. That stuff is absolutely crazy. U can put it anywhere, in any shape, and it glows like anything!

Just hard to find nowadays...

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline Gangstanza

• Iexbeta
« Reply #8 on: Feb 8, 2006, 03:14AM »
EL Wire can be found at any computer shop that carries modding supplies.

I have 3 neon tubes on my room (all yellow) what I did was spliced into the cigarette lighter wires, worked like a charm, just put them on a switch with a computer sound sensor, they pulsed to the music lol

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #9 on: Feb 8, 2006, 10:45AM »
EL Wire can be found at any computer shop that carries modding supplies.

I have 3 neon tubes on my room (all yellow) what I did was spliced into the cigarette lighter wires, worked like a charm, just put them on a switch with a computer sound sensor, they pulsed to the music lol

mmm i like the idea of pulsating to the musics ;)

but hey just fabricate yourself a clear perspex strip that can run over the top of the neons for added protection. Very easy to do and quite cheap also.

Offline nizu12

• Banned.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 4, 2006, 01:11AM »
I'm currently tossing up between whether or to have neons, ive got the checker plate floor mats and want to put neons up under the foot wells and have them glow when u open the doors, i saw them like that in a commodore at work one day, it looked fricken awesome, plus the switch in my interior light is shagged on so they'll probably come handy.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #11 on: Mar 4, 2006, 08:07AM »
my local repco are clearing out shitloads of neon gear.  i'm thinking of pickin some up.  i know they've got a music response unit, which i reckon would be cool for the boot..
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted