Author Topic: n00b steering wheel install.  (Read 3617 times)

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
n00b steering wheel install.
« on: Jul 18, 2006, 08:33PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Feel free to move it if so.
Just put in an aftermarket wheel on my car today. That's a pretty big deal because I have no idea what I'm doing with cars, and the most major modification I've made was putting seatcovers on (I even had to get my dad to help me with that). Anyway, big thanks to everyone here at ANTRX for all the info on how to do it etc. Took a few pics so I thought I'd put them up here.

First of all, I picked up a boss kit from Auto One. Surprisingly, they sold me this one from "Boss Motorsports" that fits Skyline, Maxima, Bluebird and Pintara. It's product number B745, if anyone's interested. $72. Then I got me an Autotecnica Racer II wheel from Super Cheap Auto. Got home and unpacked everything, and all these little bits and pieces lying around is quite daunting to a complete n00b like me.

I seem to be even-Steven in a sense, because my Corsair's stock wheel came off really easy. From what I've read, other people have had a tough time getting their wheel's off. The problem I had was getting off the bolt that holds the wheel on. I was so angry at it that I had to take a photo (picture quality is a bit crap because I took this with my phone).

I had to spray this stuff on it to get it to loosen up, and then after grabbing the spanner with two hands and bracing myself against the door sill, I finally managed to loosen it slightly (I don't have a socket set or anything, so I had to use a crescent spanner). The rest of the install was pretty easy, and here's a pic of the finished product.

Once again, big thanks to all the people who post up info on how to do these things. Made all this MUCH easier. And just in case you're curious, I took 1 and a half hours to do all this. 1 hour trying to get that bolt off, 15 minutes calling to see if any of my mates were free to help me with it, and 15 minutes doing the rest of the install.
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: n00b steering wheel install.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2006, 08:37PM »
Well done... rather classy looking too 8)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2006, 09:00PM »
Good stuff mate, that was one of my 1st mods and it felt good! Yeh a pretty classy wheel id say!

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2006, 12:56AM »
Good stuff mate, that was one of my 1st mods and it felt good! Yeh a pretty classy wheel id say!

you still want to swap wheels jay?

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2006, 12:18AM »
I've just been looking through the WA Department for Planning and Infrastructure website, and it turns out steering wheels must have spokes and rims of metal construction. The spokes of my steering wheel are wood. Why the hell are Super Cheap Auto selling wheels that are illegal? And why would Autotecnica make wheels that are illegal? I'm starting to think they might have sold me some cheap rip off. I'll keep the wheel for now, but if a cop sees it (and decides he doesn't like it), then I'm gonna be marching into Super Cheap with the receipt and hurling some major abuse their way.  >:(

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1886.asp
Current mods:

... that's about all.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2006, 12:26AM »
The spokes and rim would have a metal frame, just like all factory wheels.

And even so I wouldn't even try going to Supercheap with your fine, they're for show use only. ;)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2006, 12:33AM »
The spokes and rim would have a metal frame, just like all factory wheels.

I hope so. The spokes are pretty thin wood, almost like the sheets of MDF you can get. Any metal that's in there wouldn't do very much.  :-X
Current mods:

... that's about all.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #7 on: Jul 20, 2006, 12:34AM »
surely it would have metal underneath. maybe thats why police pin everyone for woodgrain steering wheels when they're feeling [i seem to suffer from tourettes]ish.

print that page out and keep it in your glovebox, once you find out if your wheel complies. I kept the printout about underbody neons in my glovebox, i'm still waiting for a copper to say something too, i'm dying to whip it out in thier face.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2006, 01:24PM »
lol luke, i've got that in my glovebox too for my interior neons ;D

but to stay on topic, that's a nice wheel... how much it set you back?
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2006, 03:18PM »
hey good stiff man - looks schweet as, nice n' clean!

i've just me boss kit today and reading this has given me a bit o' inspiration to now get a steering wheel!
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline B4

• antrx.com full member
  • Nothing a 50round burst won't fix
    • My Site
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2006, 03:23PM »
i tried taking my wheel off, got the nut off, but the wheel just wont ome off...

any suggestions??

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2006, 03:26PM »
tap each side alternately with a mallet, and use plenty of WD40.

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2006, 03:49PM »
Okay, to answer some questions. Boss kit was $72. Wheel was $149.

I'd recommend anyone to fit a new steering wheel as long as you've got the cash for it. It's very simple, the only problem you'll have is if something is physically difficult to remove, such as a steering wheel.

My advice for this is: when smacking it with a hammer, hit one of the spokes of the wheel. This is reinforced with metal, so any impact will be directly transferred to the wheel coming off the steering column. Hitting other parts of the wheel will just absorb the impact because of the rubber construction. Just smack the bits that don't wobble as much.

UPDATE: My wheel came loose today. Started wobbling about while I was driving. Got home and the retaining bolt on the steering column had come loose, even though I had tightened it as much as I could before. Tried to tighten it again, but I can't do much when poking a spanner down through the steering wheel and into the boss kit. Does anyone think a socket wrench with an extender would help? I might see if I can borrow one from a mate.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2006, 11:31PM by SAIUN »
Current mods:

... that's about all.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2006, 01:44AM »
Yes yes it would.

You can get cheap socket sets from Crazy Clarks or Supercheap for around $20. The ratchets usually don't last too long, but when they break it's a simple matter of getting someone who can weld to tack the bits back together so you can use it again. It won't ratchet, but it'll still turn bolts ;D

I've got a cheap broken-then-welded-together ratchet that I use with a piece of pipe over the handle to get more leverage to crack tight bolts, then I use my decent Sidchrome ratchet to undo the bolts from there.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2006, 02:00PM »
I just used a socket thing and a lot of leverage to get the bolt off! Could use a breaker bar i guess...but to get the wheel off a steering wheel remover is the shiz! makes it sooo easy!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2006, 02:14PM »
When i was putting my new steering wheel on i bought a steering wheel puller because i knew if i didnt then it would prove difficult for me to remove the old one.

Just to shit me i undid the bolt with no problems and the wheel just slipped off...
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #16 on: Jul 23, 2006, 02:22PM »
heres a funny fact. The standard u12 tyre lever/wheel nut tool (in the boot with the jack) is the perfect size for the steering wheel bolt.

i tried taking my wheel off, got the nut off, but the wheel just wont ome off...

any suggestions??

Sit in the drivers seat and put your hands on the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock, pull left to right (push with one hand, pull with the other) with every bit of puff you've got, then it all of a sudden just pops off.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2006, 02:35PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #17 on: Jul 23, 2006, 03:32PM »
heres a funny fact. The standard u12 tyre lever/wheel nut tool (in the boot with the jack) is the perfect size for the steering wheel bolt.

Wow, if I'd known that, I wouldn't have had to go all the way to my dad's place just to use his socket set.  -_-
Oh well, at least I know for next time.  ;)

UPDATE: I just tried it, and it SO does not fit. The wheel nut tool is too big for the steering wheel bolt. You got my hopes up...  :'(
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2006, 04:57PM by SAIUN »
Current mods:

... that's about all.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2006, 02:10AM »
The steering wheel nut is 19mm, standard Pintara wheel nuts are 21mm.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2006, 02:31AM »

any suggestions??

Screw the nut partially back on so you have a bit of space betwen the nut and the steering wheel. Make two fists and belt the shit out of the steering wheel using the side of your fists/palms (pinkie side) hitting the 9 and 3 oclock position on the wheel.
Then it should come right off. It's the best and easiest way to remove a wheel. Or you could buy one of those steering wheel puller things... :)