Author Topic: door retrim  (Read 2309 times)

Offline bungs

• post whore
door retrim
« on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:04PM »
Since I've put the power windows in, I had to re-do the interior because the armrests are different then non-power window doors.

The top part hasn't been stapled yet because I have to staple through plastic. So the few inconsistencies in the vinyl will be ironed out once it's stapled properly. I still don't know how I'll do it because the staple gun I have doesn't even leave a dent in the plastic behind it..

Basically I'm just asking for any suggestions/comments because I'm still a bit hesitant about it. If you think it's shit then say so :)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: door retrim
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:16PM »
I was about to ask why you didn't use the Ghia's door trims chris... but then I remembered that they were brown weren't they?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:19PM »
Yep poo brown :(

edit: btw the reason i chose the light grey colour is because I'm thinking of getting some seats that look similar to this colour (but not from justjap)

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2006, 02:43PM by bungs »

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:20PM »
Yeah brown sucks  :(

I should really do more on my interior  ::)
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline bondy

• antrx.com senior member
  • the bond
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:23PM »
that's pretty much the reason i didn't touch the top part when i did my retrim, except i had  a staple gun that i reckon would have gone through the plastic but the staples would have been too long and poked through the vinyl.

i don't know what to suggest really -there's a bit about how aussie-gli did his in this thread, but he glued his not stapled it: http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=800.0

only other thing is if you could get holes or even dents in the plastic started with a nail or very small drill something the staple gun have enough to punch it through?

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:26PM »
did you like my door trims chris? theres sure to be some like that at the wreckers somewhere they are 100% better then poo brown too!
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:26PM »

i don't know what to suggest really -there's a bit about how aussie-gli did his in this thread, but he glued his not stapled it: http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=800.0

Cheers for the link, looks like he used some really small flat screws. Might have to hunt around bunnings and have a look for some...

did you like my door trims chris? theres sure to be some like that at the wreckers somewhere they are 100% better then poo brown too!

Yeah but I think they're a dark blue which again won't match the dashboard and all the other plasic bits.

Argh I hate doing this retriming stuff, such a chicks work :P I think i'll stick with my oil and cv boot grease covered hands.. lol
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2006, 02:28PM by bungs »

Offline bondy

• the bond
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:28PM »
no probs, good luck with it

Offline Complexity

• Cookie?
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2006, 03:51PM »
Looks awesome ... a man after my own heart !!!

Oh and btw I'm sure the reason you chose that vinyl colour isn't for the seats, but because you love my style :P hehehe... pity I could never copy your style with those Septik rims I always wanted

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2006, 07:34PM »
You don't need to use staples. Normal contact adhesive will work fine to hold the edges of the vinyl on.

Here's how I would do it:
Clean the door trim thoroughly.
Paint/spray both the vinyl and the door trim with contact adhesive, getting a fairly thorough coat on each.
Let them both dry to a tack-free (non-sticky) surface.
Start at one end of your door trim and lay the vinyl on from one end of the trim to the other, smoothing as you go. A heat gun makes it easier to stretch it around and into all the corners.
Once you've got the vinyl stuck to the front of the trim, flip it over and paint an inch-wide strip around the edge of the back of the trim with contact adhesive, make sure you get a solid coat on because this is where it counts. Paint a bit more on the edges of the vinyl and let them dry.
Stretch the vinyl around the edge and press it down onto the adhesive.
Neatly trim the excess off and screw it all back together.

I hardly ever use staples when I'm vinyling anything at work, the only time I use them is to pin down wrinkles on the back of things that need a fairly flat surface on the back.

The two most important tips I can give you when vinyling stuff are:
Vinyl is designed to be stretched. Stretch it.
Contact adhesive must be dry for it to stick.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!