Author Topic: Corsair license plate light.  (Read 2318 times)

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
Corsair license plate light.
« on: Jun 5, 2006, 03:51AM »
Many apologies if/because this issue has been said somewhere else, but after searching I can't find info on this anywhere.

I'm thinking of getting the license plate light on my 1990 Corsair changed to a different color. Can anyone offer advice on this? Would I need to change the bulb, lens, how would I do that etc. etc.

Also, if you know if something like that is illegal (I'm in WA) then by all means tell me.
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: Corsair license plate light.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 5, 2006, 11:47PM »
In Qld you must have a white light that illuminates all of your number plate, and that doesn't directly show light to the rear.

^^^ That would make a coloured number plate light illegal  ;)

But... if you wanted to colour your number plate light for show use only (wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean say no more) there are a few ways to do it.

You could paint the lens of the lights or the bulbs themselves.

You could buy some little bulb condom thingies. These are little coloured rubber things that slip over your bulbs and change the colour of the light.

Or if you're handy with a soldering iron you could get some high-brightness LEDs from Jaycar or Dick Smith Electronics and put them in place of your bulbs. Keep in mind you'll need current-limiting resistors for the LEDs. A quick search should turn up some good info on using LEDs in cars.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #2 on: Jun 6, 2006, 12:43AM »
I'm sure you can buy blue globes for them.  Personally i'd go with putting LED's in the cavity there, but still keep the white lights.  maybe put a small switch or something in the boot so if you do ever get pulled over for it you can just flick the switch and mr police man (or woman) can go away happy.  "oh i must have left it on from our photo shoot last night  ::)"

But yes illegal here in victoria also, needs to be white. 
Number Plate Light
A white light of seven watts or less, must be fitted to the rear to illuminate the rear
number plate when the parking lights or headlights are switched on. All letters and
numbers on the number plate must be clearly visible when viewed 20m from the
rear of the vehicle. Performance must be in accordance with Rule 90 of the
Australian Vehicle Standards Rules 1999.
« Last Edit: Jun 6, 2006, 01:00AM by Colby »

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 6, 2006, 01:34AM »
Any lights additional to that white light are legal as long as they aren't blue and don't flash ;)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline peeto

• antrx.com junior member
  • R31 Pintara
    • peeto.net
« Reply #4 on: Jun 9, 2006, 02:57PM »
I'm in Vic and I got pulled up for having blue license plate lights. I couldn''t believe it so I checked the VicRoads site. Yes, you must have rear licence lights & they must be white. I find it quite ridiculous, according to the same VicRoads documentation, legally you don't have to have doors on your car!!

On this note... has anyone got much experience with pimping out U12/13 or R31's? I have some ideas but we really need to know if they're legal before we do it. I know for certain that window washer lights are legal.

Do parking lights have to be white or can they be replaced with blue lights? Can I put lights inside my rear view mirrors so the outside edges light up? What about lights on the parcel tray?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 9, 2006, 09:32PM »
Read up on the legislation. I'm not sure what it is in Vic, but there's a thread around somewhere with all the info you need. Use that handy thing called a 'search button' and you're bound to find it.

In Queensland, any non-factory-fitted blue lights whatsoever are illegal, and front parking lights must show a white or yellow light to the front of the vehicle that is visible from 200m away. But if you were to put coloured lights in additional to that white light it would be legal ;)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline peeto

• antrx.com junior member
  • R31 Pintara
    • peeto.net
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2006, 04:33PM »
Search is overrated: http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=9759.45

Generally it appears that having any colored light outside your car is illegal. The exceptions appear to be the wiper lights and lights added to the headlight cluster that work in conjunction with the headlights.

I've decided to bend things a bit and put white LED's (Autotechnica Monza) in my licence plate lights and parking lights. I've tried everything and LED's are the only type of light that won't look yellow... even the Phillips Blue Xenon bulbs still look yellow.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2006, 01:47AM »
White LEDs are legal. They are a white light.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!