Author Topic: Tyre Profile vs Lowering?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline FalconGuy

• antrx.com senior member
  • new kid on the block
Tyre Profile vs Lowering?
« on: Sep 20, 2004, 10:25AM »
Hi All.

Im in a bit of a quandry at the moment. I have a Pintara T and it's approaching it last days of suspension. We'll, that happened about two months ago!

<Prof Frink>Now its always with the creaking and the bouncing and the WALLOWING, Gleeben <End Prof Frink>

The first hint was that the right hand rear tyre scrapes like a mofo most of the time I turn left and almost always when I have friends in the car (rear springs have sagged to buggery) It gets a bit annoying and you can smell the rubber burning too :-[ I got a quote to do the suspension and it was about $750. This was supply and fit King Springs all round and Monroe GT on the fronts (Rear Struts are fine). I can get the springs in any height and as I think the Pintara T sits a bit high. like most cars on normal springs, Id like to drop it down just a bit.

The trouble is that I know I have the wrong profile tyres. They're 195/60/15's instead of 195/60/14's. Its not much of a difference but as the right rear sidewall is unreadable from all the scraping, Im wondering if it'll still fit without scraping the guard with lowered springs? I dont want to get rid of the tyres from the simple fact that I dont know how new they were when I got the car but I've done 20000+ on them, and they're still new!

Also is this a decent price for Supply and Fitting of these parts? I see that you can get them from the ANTRX shop for $515 so is the other $250 Average for fitting? The guy who is doing it for me is a mate and he's a real professional. Has the best XR6 Turbo in Queensland, I know he's good, but still... :-\

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
Re: Tyre Profile vs Lowering?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2004, 12:11PM »
I'm pretty sure my U12 TRX has 195/60/15's and they certainly don't scrub anywhere.  You have to make sure that the rolling circumference is within +/-5% of stock.

You may have an alignment issue (possible, but unlikely) or the wrong offset on the wheels (more likely with sidewall scrubbing)
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2004, 10:53PM »
So you have 15" rims on your car FalconGuy?  Not the stock rims?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline FalconGuy

• antrx.com senior member
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2004, 11:59PM »
Yeah, these are 15" alloys. Non TRX ones, just what was on there when I got the car. Actually Im sure they're regular alloy versions of a car from here (on ANTRX) that was recently sold...I think it was Ziins? White TRX with Black Looking Alloys?

I have no idea of the offsets or anything. Apparently the right rear guard spring is shagged the most and that is the only guard thats rubbing. So I hope with new springs its just a matter of new springs and all will be sweet, not my stupid tyres still pissing me off no end. I cant even take ANYONE in the back anymore >:(