Author Topic: installed a transy cooler, noticed a difference  (Read 2231 times)

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
installed a transy cooler, noticed a difference
« on: Aug 14, 2006, 01:21AM »
On saturday I was strolling through a self serve wrecker and noticed an oil cooler hanging out of the front of an r31 for dear life. I thought I could make use of that, and use it I did.
I had already picked up a metre of oil hose becuase I was sick to death of my stock radiator lines leaking stuff on the driveway. With the help of another we nicely mounted the oil cooler infront of the radiator up the top.
All i can say is its a bloody pearler! or maybe its my imagination, the shifts are alot smoother and there is alot less 'auto' lag when stabbing the accelerator.

not a bad mod for $25
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
Re: installed a transy cooler, noticed a difference
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2006, 08:59PM »
They make a diffence, especially in 4X4's when towing and in australia's condition's where temperature's go from 2 degree's at night in winter to 45 degrees in summer. Fitting that will keep your auto box alive alot longer if you tend to give your car a hiding here and there.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:34AM »
They make a diffence, especially in 4X4's when towing and in australia's condition's where temperature's go from 2 degree's at night in winter to 45 degrees in summer. Fitting that will keep your auto box alive alot longer if you tend to give your car a hiding here and there.

Very true.

I have a nice big cooler waiting to be fitted to my car too, just haven't got around to doing it.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:48AM »
How do I go about doing this? Sounds like something I might do if I have the time.
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:54AM »
its mounted infront of the radiator/ac condensor, then piped straight from the gearbox. originally it would've been piped to the bottom of the radiator, i haven't connected it to the radiator at all, if I wanted to make a further improvement i could probably loop it through the radiator too, but the hose cost $12.50/m and I haven't had time.
I strongly recommend replacing the hoses if they are 15 years old because mine leaked somewhere, but I think it was only under pressure, it would then leave little deposits on the driveway. I haven't lost a single drop since the new hoses.

The cooler is retained with zip ties, not the smartest thing i know, but it doesn't move.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2006, 12:56AM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2006, 01:02AM »
It'd be a good idea to make up some proper brackets for the cooler, zip ties don't like too much heat and oil. Brackets can be made from strips of sheet metal.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2006, 01:07AM »
very true, but these aren't the average $2.50 bag of zip ties. these are the rolls royce of zip ties I (work) bought. they even have metal pins that never slip!