Author Topic: R31 Pintara diff oil change  (Read 5362 times)

Offline MonsterY

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
R31 Pintara diff oil change
« on: Jul 19, 2012, 04:00PM »
Hi, Newbie here.

I was a Datsun head, but they are getting a bit old to drive around SA without being pulled over every 200 metres... Even if they are like they just drove out of the factory, as mine was.
Actually had a copper pull me over and compliment me on my Y saying "it is a well maintained vehicle", but I fear that was the last of my good luck.

Recently I decided it was time to retire the Monster A15 120Y Wagon (13.5 sec 1/4), so I sold it on to a good home. It was very, very quick and a bit loud, despite the grandpa appearance.
I live in SA and the coppers here would have retired it for me soon with a canary if I didn't sell it.
Best car I have owned, sad to see it go. Gee I miss it.

I have owned Bluebirds, Stanzas, 1600s, Sunnys, 1200s, 120Ys and other Holdens and Fords.
Last week I had no wheels and was forced to go out and grab the first car I could find (Bad idea).
I bought an R31 Pintara wagon and I got ripped big time.
It is dead straight and has no rust, good steering and suspension, but that is where the good points end.

Should have known better, but I was asleep on the day of the sale.
I paid $900 for a wagon with no handbrake, no odometer, the wrong wheels on one side, a pre-warmed rattling CA20E, parked on grass, a tired trans, unis are stuffed, diff makes noise, wagon tailgate does not open. It has done about a million Kms and everything is pretty stuffed, buyer beware... No excuses, I stuffed up.

That said, I am stuck with it so I started to fix it.
Went to change the diff oil and found there is no drain plug...
I noticed that most forums and the FSM say that the rear cover of the diff has to come off to drain the diff oil. Thought I would pass on the idea of using a Victa Oil removal kit to remove old diff oil, rather than have to crack open the diff and replace the gasket etc etc.
there are some here at taylorsmowers.com.au/products/accessories/victa-oil-removal-kit
Take it for a drive, get the diff oil warm, pull the filler plug, put in the plastic tube and pump away!
Refill after drained. Works well.
I picked up one of these from Bunnings for about $20 and it works a treat, no more noisy diff.
Oil changed in about 10 minutes! :)

It makes me wish cars were as simple as the old Dattos. ???

Excellent site, thanks for the info guys.

Cheers. :)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: R31 Pintara diff oil change
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2012, 08:54PM »
Ah! The 'ole CA20E :)

Your 120Y sounds like a fun vehicle! Pity about the 'ripoff-31' however. Lucky they are a dime a dozen now days.

A question, no handbrake at all? Or just no working handbrake. That's pretty funny if you bought it and it has literally, no handbrake :P :)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist