Author Topic: Vibrating 94 U13 driving me nuts  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Spoony

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Vibrating 94 U13 driving me nuts
« on: Oct 6, 2010, 08:20AM »
I've got a vibration (engine related) in 94 LX (manual) that's progressively getting worse.
The cars got 280,000 original pretty much everything (bar clutch and shocks) and is great expect for this issue

It's more of a 'buzz' type vibration, as in the engine is still idling and reving very smooth.  Infact resting ones hand on the engine feels smoother than on the body of the car!!! ::)
At idle through the whole body a buzzy/shudder type vibration can be felt and is hugely visable watching the steering wheel when cold.  At idle things improve when warmed up, but still very annoying.  At revs it's a bit 'buzzy', seems to improve with more RPM though.  At around 1100-1200rpm the vibration slighly increases to almost a shudder.
Makes no difference if car is in gear and moving or in netural, clutch in or out.

Given the KM's I figured engine mounts.  Inspection shows some cracking on all, and the drivers side quite colapsed.   
4 x new mounts ordered from the states (soooo much cheaper).   And I fitted the to main ones, passenger side top of g/box and drivers side end of engine last night.   The engine has 'raised' in the engine bay but the issue persists.  In fact it's now actually a bit more noticable!!!  >:( 
I undertand these two mounts take the main weight of the motor and the crossmember mounts are to help stop engine torque movement?   I do have new ones of these bout doubt it's going to help at all now.
If i jack the car up heavily on the front of the cross member or say by the engine (sump, yes sketch) then run it, the vibrations improve.

Any ideas would be great.  I only plan to keep it for maybe another year as a daily, but it gets lots of use, and tows (bikes/ski's) a fair bit so this really annoying.

I'm thinking maybe balancer pully? Though visually this looks OK.   Also maybe removing the accessories belt and running it.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Vibrating 94 U13 driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: Oct 6, 2010, 03:41PM »
Harmonic balancer? Noticed any drop in power?

I've had issues with one on a CA18DET, but not on my KA24DE.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Spoony

« Reply #2 on: Oct 7, 2010, 08:31AM »
No performance seems about the same as always, it still runs 100% fine, just teeth rattley.
I did consider the balancer.  Visually it looks OK.   I've not been able to find any mention on here or US Altima sites of the balancer becoming and issue on the U13's though.

I'm still going to drop the cross member and chuck in the two new mounts in hope.  (maybe they are not providing any support and currently its just the 'end' mounts holding all the weight, thus over loaded and causing more vibration that previous, haha probably dreaming)

I'll also check the bolts on the balancer to make sure its not loose or something. 

Frustrating though, bar this issue it's been an awesome car, 280,000kms with only 1x clutch and a set of shocks  (one 1x dizzy (a given) many years ago) and still drives awsome.  Impressive given it was my old mans many many years ago and neglected as (ie sit for 2 years, then get worken up and driven, on the same old oil, arrrrg his hopless), not to mention 10's of 1000's of kms of towing too.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Oct 7, 2010, 08:48AM »
Yep, cant fault them.

Bought mine at 112,000km now has 170,000km in under two years.

Replaced radiator, one driveshaft and thats it. But will need a clutch soon'ish.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Spoony

« Reply #4 on: Oct 7, 2010, 09:55AM »
true,

h**p://www . sunburybrakes.com.au /prod360.htm   is where I got mine, it's about $30 dear than back then but was cheapest about at the time.  
My shittas only stock but it handles full loaded 5 people + trailer and 3x bikes ok.