Author Topic: Possible to run a stock (or any I guess) AFM without a filter?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Okay, firstly, I'm not actually encouraging this as an engine sucking in unfiltered air is fail.

Basically awhile I got when I first installed my pod, I hadn't secured it properly and on the way home it came loose and disconnected itself. This resulted in ECM going off like it was at a rave party and safe mode activated (2700rpm limit). Reattached all good.

A few weeks ago I noticed that the induction noise I normally have which is a like a deep growl went to a really soft induction noise. I never actually checked it out for at least a week and noticed (ok my bad again, when I installed my my battery) I had loosened the the pod and this time it was completely disconnected. This probably explains why overall my car has been running like #$%@ lately (that and a stuck thermostat + rich tune). So will run some TB cleaner soon but what I want to know, and didn't think it was possible in our cars based on the AFM and ECM limits is running a Mass amount of unfiltered air without the ECM recognising this.

Thoughts??

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2010, 05:56PM by Habib86 »
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
I've never had troubles with running engines without air filters, as long as there are no leaks in the intake tract after the AFM.

I was even running a RB20E last week with the air flow meter taped directly to the throttle body - no air filter or intake piping at all. It ran and drove around the yard fine, it just didn't idle because the idle control valves were blocked off due to the lack of intake piping.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
See what your saying makes perfect sense and I understand that, just the reason why was the first time the Pod got disconnected the car went into safe mode, (AFM/intake etc were all good, no leaks) but second time nothing happened.. meh was enquiring anyways as it was a random event..  :)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.