Author Topic: Auto engine mounts  (Read 1793 times)

Offline oldn_tired

• antrx.com full member
Auto engine mounts
« on: Apr 19, 2009, 12:08AM »
Hi all, can anyone tell me why the auto doesnt have a front engine mount but a manual does.
I took one off a manual wreck and put it on my auto, should i take it back off or is it doing no harm.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Re: Auto engine mounts
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2009, 10:35AM »
Don't think it will do any harm. I think the manual has the extra mount as the engine pivots more during gear change.

Waiting for Adam to confirm this...
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2009, 11:15AM »
If you have the correct brackets for the front cross member mount, it won't hurt. I'm guessing that the use of a front mount wasn't deemed necessary due to how smoothly the auto can change gear.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2009, 10:14AM »
This might have something to do with why my car used to chew through rear engine mounts. Or it could have been my 'driving style' :P

Might have something to do with engine braking, you'll get much more braking torque through the engine mounts in a manual.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline raider007

• antrx.com junior member
  • if it runs dont knock it :)
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2009, 01:32AM »
 :) howdee from the newbee :)
firstly i wanted to thank jono for his email :)
i dont see any reason why if you having issues with the engine mounts not to try the following
1) add a bracket if possible to stiffen and remove engine and transmission lash
2) if you are getting engine mount issue is it because they are old or because they are be flogged?
To those who seen and read a little of martys pintara on his site, his claim is that over 7 years his nissan has eaten mounts up often.
I had 1 pintara u12 for 2 years...and its a auto ti...and its chewed up mounts
but not from hammering it..from age and wear and tear ..we got it left to us from a dear friend who died..so we know the car never wnet over 110kms in its life..and spent up to 2 yeasr resting in a garage..and only has 160k on its clock..so i can tell you that mounts in these go from  little and light use!
perhaps its the lsd nature causing issues too..who knows
i have also started projects of 3 pintara''s  the ti i mention to repair and t series and trx series.
i not gone over them to see how many each have ..but i can tell you everyone has at least 1 ..broken mount...
i think saying pintars u12s chew mounts ..is safe ..just like saying ka24 engines  blow engine timing chains...and good 1st time km from a engine is 280k plus kms..
i like SSS...to let me know if what he is saying by his $300.00 per set...is really $75 per mount given we got here is a 3 pack set for autos and 4 pack for manuals....

i think we could all try a few SSS made mounts or make a few ourselves tring different compound strenghts..and if needed drilling holes in the fully filled!
Very hard core drivers may need solids welded in some mounts...
i liike SSS to contact me please ..cause i got some questions on his mount making services :)
so i say add a bracket if you can..it help more than hurt.and maybe we should be using the replacement compounds rather than old rubber?
many thanks bg phil

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2009, 08:35AM »
hi phil, ask away any questions you have.

I run a set of my own filled mounts in my black project car, they have been in for some 3 years and the car has been my daily driver for that whole time. I've had zero issues with them in this time, doing around 500kms per week. I don't generally baby the car when driving too.

also regarding pricing on auto mounts, since there are only 3, the price is cheaper than a full set of manual mounts. :)