Author Topic: U12 TRX radiator interchangability?  (Read 2586 times)

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
U12 TRX radiator interchangability?
« on: Apr 4, 2009, 06:48PM »
i need another radiator, i think mine has split the top tank, drains the water in about three days, and thats just driving to work, which is less than 5kms each way... ::)

i have a classified up for that  http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=187

my question here is, am i right in thinking that a radiator out of any KA24e powered pintara/corsair will fit?

or does it specifically have to be a U12 TRX one?

cheers
James.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Re: U12 TRX radiator interchangability?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4, 2009, 07:20PM »
Any KA pintara radiator will work for you... pretty sure any U12 radiator (even the CA versions) will be alright.  The only thing to look out for is if it's auto... the auto ones have a line in for tranny fluid which manual doesn't have, if you have manual you can use either. 

It may not be your radiator though, I had similar problem once, turns out my lower hose had a crack in right near the join to radiator spraying steam onto radiator (causing impression it was radiator leak)  I got a second radiator then found the split hose while installing it... wasted $50 on a radiator.  Check your clamps and hoses unless you can pinpoint the crack in the radiator.  ;)

The plastic tops are pretty prone to cracking.  If you want to upgrade there is a write up on an aftermarket alum radiator fitted somewhere on the forums (search).

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 4, 2009, 07:34PM »
i cant see the crack, but when you look down between the radiator and air-con core you can see a strip of wet fins right in the middle going from top to bottom, about 75mm wide... and the base of the radiator is always wet.

hoses are fine.

my cars a manual, so thts good, opens up more options.

might have to ring round the wreckers on monday and see how much theyre gonna rip me off.

Was gonna chuck some stop leak crud in there, but i dont really wanna risk it getting into the water galleries and causing more damage.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #3 on: Apr 4, 2009, 08:18PM »
Where you located, im on the gold coast/brisbane? I may have a spare radiator - its a 26mm auto one, but im running it in my manual at the moment. Its about a year old, no issues but might be looking to upgrade to something a bit bigger.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 4, 2009, 08:23PM »
im in tingalpa/wynnum

just got a txt from someone wrecking a trx up here, so im gonna go have a nose at it tomorrow, see what there is worth grabbing.

he cant remember if it still has a radiator or not lol

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 5, 2009, 09:32AM »
I have a radiator sitting in a wreck in the yard that I should be able to offload (waiting to hear back on a buyer for the whole car, don't think he will ring), the car is a complete ca20 powered corsair, auto transmission. Was driven daily by my sister until it ran out of rego, she since got a newer car. Radiator was flushed out 8 months ago and has always been filled with proper coolant, and does not leak.
   I am located in the lockyer valley, plainland to be exact. Am willing to drop it off or meet half way.

Let me know.

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 5, 2009, 11:46AM »
how much?

also, if that dosnt work out...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200327107476&fromMakeTrack=true
is this a good price? seems good to me, but i dont really know much about pricing for parts here in oz. ive asked the question if the seller has receipts for the work done, no answer just yet.

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 7, 2009, 08:18PM »
With that ebay one, you would be looking at $120 to your door

With my one you are looking at $80, but if you are going to pick up you have to take into account fuel costs, I can deliver or we can meet half way, which is fair for both of us, you live in tingalpa don't you.

Your call, it's there if you want it.

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2009, 10:15PM »
right, my ebay radiator turned up, so looks like il be swapping them over this weekend, is there any tip or tricks or pitfalls in removing the old one?

had a quick look, and it actually looks like quite an easy swap. for once lol.

im gonna need to flush the entire system, ive run two lots of stopleak through it, and the last thing i want is the new radiator getting all gunked up with crap. is there an easy way of flushing the system with out removing the thermostat?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2009, 08:49PM »
Not properly, no.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2009, 09:57PM »
Not properly, no.

thats what i was afraid off.... i might go into a shop and see what they charge for a complete flush.

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2009, 01:21PM »
ok, ive done the swap finally, much better than the old radiator... one of the easiest rad' swaps i have ever done lol

but i have another problem, my thermos arent coming on, so it gets hot when sitting at the lights... now before i bought it the guy i got it off had had to have the coolant sensor replaced, because of the same problem... is it likely to have gone again? or is there another reason they dont work? i have tripple checked to make sure i plugged them in right too...

i am 80% sure they havent been working for a while, but it hasnt really been a problem, cos with the bung radiator i have only been taking it to work, so it dosnt have a chance to heat up.

i did think aboout just wiring up a switch to make it full manual control, good or bad idea?

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #12 on: May 5, 2009, 12:05AM »
two mates have the manual switch on their fans... only thing you DEFINATELY have to make sure of, turn the bloody thing off!

best to fix it to factory spec though..
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #13 on: May 5, 2009, 03:06PM »
if i was gonna do it the  manual way then it would through an acc power source lol