Author Topic: Upgraded to comfort gas shocks  (Read 9337 times)

Offline h4inf

• antrx.com junior member
Upgraded to comfort gas shocks
« on: Jul 29, 2008, 12:29AM »
Just thought i'd add that I recently went to Pedders for one of their 28 point safety checks which cost $14 (because i booked in for some things i didnt have to pay that either). Of course they will find lots of stuff, but included is a test of your shock absorbers and hey the test may highlight some critical problems heh...

The test showed my rear shocks were rubbish (which I already knew)... but the test just verified it, so I went for some "comfort gas" replacements in the rear, and damn it feels much nicer now!

Another crucial thing is bump-stops... these stop the car bottoming out.... if you dont have bump stops and you hit a big bump fast, theres a good chance you will damage/destroy your shock absorbers.

The shocks were $100 each. (Part 8299)
I got bump stops as well - kind of a protection of my investment in the shocks. The old bump stops were worn down to about 1-2cm.. should be around 10 or more.. :P

I also replaced a lot of the suspension bushings, and the front ball joints which had failed were replaced too... feels like a much tighter car now :-)

My front shocks are still stock... their test showed that they had aged a bit, but not enough to bother replacing them. 169km on the clock. The rear end just feels really nice now.. before it was floppy and loose lol.

The other option with shocks from pedders is their "sports ryder" shocks which are firmer, and i presume are more expensive, but i went comfort gas for a softer ride :) Got my other car for the solid ride..

Paul.

mozza

Re: Upgraded to comfort gas shocks
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2008, 05:26PM »
i've heard a bit of bad press about pedders shocks. Stuff like they start leaking relatively early in their life and stuff like that. Not just pedders, but also have heard that about monroes too.

I cant say if they're true or not, i've not used em.
Although i've only just put a set of KYB's in my 31, so time will tell how well they stay together!

New shocks always make an improvement though  :)

Offline h4inf

• antrx.com junior member
Re: Upgraded to comfort gas shocks
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2008, 10:02PM »
i can back you up on that... pedders cover such a wide range of shocks for many vehicles so its easy for them to get a bad name just from one or two issues...

i think you just have to try it case by case.

the pedders shocks i put into my rx7 completely failed after 3 months. then the replacements failed after another 3 months. pedders then replaced them with KYB shocks for no charge. they told me that particular model of shock they had plenty of trouble with. different model to the ones for my pintara though :)

i will update if i have any issues so people can know what works and what doesnt :)