Author Topic: Power Aerial/Antenna Problem  (Read 5795 times)

Offline Impakt

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
Power Aerial/Antenna Problem
« on: May 30, 2005, 04:13PM »
My power aerial (antenna for searchers ;) )  started to play up the other day. Goes up OK, but instead of going down it makes a small sound, and needs a slight helping hand to get it going down again.

Anyone else had this problem?

Impkat

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: Power Aerial/Antenna Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 05:30PM »
probably a problem with the antenna mast rope

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 06:07PM »
check that the mast is not bent or that it does not have any dents in it.
had that problem and replaced the mast, works good now.

Offline Counterpunch

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 9, 2005, 03:14PM »
What happens is inside the aerial unit, the grease hardens over time with water getting into it I guess....
This grease then turns into a soapy state thus not allowing the internal components to freely move. It then gets to a point where
stress is placed on the weakest component. This being the mast with the teeth on it. The mast snaps in one or several places thus
reducing the length of the antenna. With a simple push down it will grip onto the cog again.

Anyhow, point is when you have a working antenna, take it off and see the state of the grease inside the unit. Clean and replace the
grease to preserve the mast and hopefully you won't require a replacement mast from Autobahn at a ludricrus price or even the wreckers. I've had to replace my mast already.  I do have one that still works from the wreck that I am still selling.  Make a reasonable offer for it.  I will be selling the whole unit reconditioned with new grease inside it.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 9, 2005, 03:53PM »
What happens is inside the aerial unit, the grease hardens over time with water getting into it I guess....
This grease then turns into a soapy state thus not allowing the internal components to freely move. It then gets to a point where
stress is placed on the weakest component. This being the mast with the teeth on it. The mast snaps in one or several places thus
reducing the length of the antenna. With a simple push down it will grip onto the cog again.

Anyhow, point is when you have a working antenna, take it off and see the state of the grease inside the unit. Clean and replace the
grease to preserve the mast and hopefully you won't require a replacement mast from Autobahn at a ludricrus price or even the wreckers. I've had to replace my mast already.  I do have one that still works from the wreck that I am still selling.  Make a reasonable offer for it.  I will be selling the whole unit reconditioned with new grease inside it.

Rought indication on price mate?
A local wreckers has a 94 SSS wreck so I may check out the price on parts from it too...
They offered me the back seats for free if I bought the front ones.

Offline greenbird

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2005, 09:00PM »
A new mast will cost you about $70 from nissan and it takes about 30 minutes to install.....
you have to remove the antenna motor from inside the boot, to get to a retainer nut that stops the mast from coming out during normal operation.
once you have the nut off, plug the antenna back in and turn your stereo on to push the old mast out. then turn the stereo off and whilst the aerial motor is running feed the new mast rope into it.........
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2005, 10:53AM »
Its not quite that simple.  If you do happen to just put the new mast back in by feeding it, you will most likely have to replace the mast again in a months time.  Why?  Because the internals are not lubricated thus putting stress on the weakest components, this been the mast.  You will need to clean the inside out and regrease the internals as mentioned above.  Takes a bit more time but will fix the cause of the problem rather than just the mast.
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline U12 Poobird

• The One And Only ZX-E Pimpbird!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 3, 2006, 04:20PM »
A new mast will cost you about $70 from nissan and it takes about 30 minutes to install.....
you have to remove the antenna motor from inside the boot, to get to a retainer nut that stops the mast from coming out during normal operation.
once you have the nut off, plug the antenna back in and turn your stereo on to push the old mast out. then turn the stereo off and whilst the aerial motor is running feed the new mast rope into it.........

Today... Someone has pushed my aerial in... and now it just sits there and I can freely move the mast but you can still hear the motor whining for about 20 seconds... I am also trying to get the motor out but I cant find the nut to free it...
I bet that wing add's 20HP!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Mar 3, 2006, 04:24PM »
Today... Someone has pushed my aerial in... and now it just sits there and I can freely move the mast but you can still hear the motor whining for about 20 seconds... I am also trying to get the motor out but I cant find the nut to free it...

sounds like they have stripped the teeth from the gears, which means you are up for a new motor, i can get the antenna and masts through work, i cant remember what the price was, if you pm Kranzy, he can tell you what he paid for it

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #9 on: Mar 3, 2006, 05:13PM »
I paid $60 for the antenna and it was installed for free too...hehe bargin!!
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 3, 2006, 05:44PM »
i got a bluey mast for $30 i think. It was a brand new nissan item for a 92 maxima.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #11 on: Mar 3, 2006, 06:00PM »
Just so you know the $60 was for the whole lot not just the mast...incase anyones confussed.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline U12 Poobird

• The One And Only ZX-E Pimpbird!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 4, 2006, 08:18PM »
sounds like they have stripped the teeth from the gears, which means you are up for a new motor, i can get the antenna and masts through work, i cant remember what the price was, if you pm Kranzy, he can tell you what he paid for it

Nah the teeth didnt strip itself.... the whole teeth cable <u know what im talking about, right??> had snapped so it was only a 1/4 of the length... Looks like im going to the wreckers on Monday to pic up a new power antenna :P
I bet that wing add's 20HP!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2009, 05:54PM »
Just get a new mast for your poobird, much cheaper and fairly easy to install.

You will need to pull the side covers off the motor to get the rest of the rope out though.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2009, 09:53PM »
3 years later... ::)

Good info though.
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2009, 10:19PM »
hah... I didn't even look at the date!

what a noob  ::)

Funny thing is I remember when this thread was active!
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!