Author Topic: custom intake manifold sr20det fwd  (Read 9976 times)

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
custom intake manifold sr20det fwd
« on: Dec 5, 2009, 05:39PM »
hey all, i am after some thoughts, idea's so forth about building a custom manifold for my car since i am going to the mountain and the rest of the engine is designed around performace, i figured after seeing a post on another forum it is all good,
OK what we know, big log manifold we have increases lowend torque, but hampers topend performace, the shorter the manifold the better the performance, GTIR is perfect example, i had one but they don't line up on our heads, so i was thinking bigger square box style with trumpets inside each chamber to maximise pulse efficiency and flow characteristics into each chamber, this will also allow for bigger throttle body if required,

This is the picture that got me thinking it a XR6 powered 260Z with 380 killer wasps at the rear treads.

there are a couple of aftermarkets available but would need to be chopped & swapped. Adam are you NE good with the tig we have a new miller ac/dc tig at work and I'm not getting the hang of it yet, alloy is hard shit to tig but we are set up for it,

LET THE IDEA'S FLOW MY BRAIN IS READY TO RECIVE YOUR IMPUT

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: custom intake manifold sr20det fwd
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5, 2009, 05:41PM »
why not GTiR head and quads... or have you sold the GTiR quads?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #2 on: Dec 5, 2009, 05:53PM »
GONESKI'S, thisis a photoshop of a rwd mani fliped for fwd need to make a plate where the throttle body goes on to get it round more.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Dec 5, 2009, 06:03PM »
looks like an iR manifold, well... a little bit!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #4 on: Dec 5, 2009, 06:19PM »
Hey Laurence, i know a guy that has gtir quads that i dont think hes using anymore. I can see what hes wanting for them if your interested, and i can bring them down with me later this month?
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #5 on: Dec 5, 2009, 07:18PM »
as we all know the IR manifold does not work on our heads the ports don't line up nor do the bolts line up it would be a real headcase to modify the part that bolts to the head, I'm sure it can be done just not sure how much work it will be, i have tried it already, you have to change heads to the IR one, the other issue's are the gitr runs a high impedance top flow injector, ours run a low impedance sideflow, so the entire fuel map will need to redone to account for the higher impedance injector pulse width, maybe nistune can do this automatically i don't know, i already have bigger injectors for my motor, lastly the gtir TPS works the other direction to the U12-U13 TPS so you cant use the one you have now, and they have a different plug with 5 wires instead of 3, i do have a gtir loom here still, and two or 3 u13 ones as well.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #6 on: Dec 6, 2009, 12:02AM »
The only thing with the injectors and the tune is if they're different sizes. The impedance is changed with resistors in the loom at the injector plugs, impedance has nothing to do with the tune.

I have heard of people using the quads with an adaptor plate to fix up the miss match in the ports. I think there are other issues with them aswell other than the throttle body not being compatable.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Dec 7, 2009, 07:38AM »
lawrence, do you still drive the car to work at the moment? If so, i might come round and have a look at how much room you have to play with.

basically, you don't want to invest time/money into a manifold that may not give you any kind of decent gains; runner length and plenum volume for instance are 2 things that you need to do a bit of r&d to work out what will work best for you.

Are you changing cams on this motor? I think that may be your best mod before the race. They also impact on intake manifold design.

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #8 on: Dec 7, 2009, 08:05AM »
Nah its at home now, but will becoming back in at xmas time i am working thru and we will be very quite so i can do a few things to it, it has a blown head gasket so i cant drive it, but your welcome to come around and have a look, i have already had 3 inquires for a manifold, and have not made 1 yet. here is what we have now.

EDIT: cams i am just running n/a cams with an adjustable gear on the zorst cam

« Last Edit: Dec 7, 2009, 09:20AM by lgee »

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 7, 2009, 01:36PM »
i have quads for grabbs.... ;)
the ir block is angled up about 30 deg, may need to do the same. the palce where i got them from still has the rest of the ir engine if you need bits.
« Last Edit: Dec 7, 2009, 01:38PM by pedro666 »
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801