Author Topic: 21TRX  (Read 9667 times)

Offline Mackdaddy

• antrx.com junior member
21TRX
« on: Dec 5, 2009, 01:00AM »
So mah new sr20det TRX arrived finally... took nearly a month to get to Mount Isa from WA... now I have the joy of getting it RWC passed and have mod plates fitted in Queensland

Took it to one of the few mechanics in town that can fit Mod Plates... but he found a bunch of stuff that i'll need to fix before he'll pass it

Front and Rear engine mounts need replacing (that'll be a custom fabricated job)
Horn doesn't work
Both front tyres have done a lil too much spinning
Windscreen wiper reservoir is smashed
Right CV boot and left steering boot need replacing
and the BOV isn't legal

Fun times ahead.....

I also have $1500 of sound system sitting on my bed ready for a custom boot install tomorrow.

Oh and 21TRX is because that's the PPQ number plates I have ordered for it......

How many posts do I need to make before I can post pictures? I'm gonna photo document the work as I go along
« Last Edit: Dec 6, 2009, 11:50PM by Mackdaddy »
21TRX - sr20det flavoured TRX

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: 21TRX
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5, 2009, 07:25AM »
Just use imageshack mate for pics.

Sounds like it needs a bit of work, but should be worth it! :)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Dec 5, 2009, 09:52AM »
For engine mounts take them out and get SSS to solid fill them becuase trust me you'll be tearing the rear one all the time.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6, 2009, 11:49PM »
Got stuck into it over the weekend.

Found a compact little windscreen washer reservoir bottle at AutoBarn that's now tucked neatly behind the intercooler piping. I have it zip tied to the intercooler piping for now until I can drill some holes in the chassis to bolt the bottle on better. Thinking about it now though it's the hot side of the intercooler. How hot does this get? Would this be an issue?

The BOV fitted is a GFB Hybrid that can be set to atmospheric release and/or recirc. I picked up a 3/4" copper piping plug that fits perfectly for $2.50 and sprayed it silver. You can still here the BOV releasing but it's not as blatantly obnoxious as it was before.

Fixed the horn. It was a right mess. Looks like it'd never been hooked up properly since the Steering wheel was installed. I built a tricky little system with the contact plate on the boss kit and now it works better than a bought one i reckon.

Wired in a new head unit and got started on a custom boot install.

I have a GLi Executive Pinny that I'm raiding for spares. The CV and Steering boots should be the same I'm thinking...? The Left CV Boot is cracked on the TRX and grease is leaking out. I noticed it makes a noise when I turn left. I'm hoping the CV isn't damaged and I can just re-grease it and replace the boot. Yes, No, Maybe?

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #4 on: Dec 6, 2009, 11:55PM »
Kranzy I sent SSS a PM about engine mounts. What did you mean exactly that he can solid fill them? From what the mechanic was saying he reckons I'll need some new front and rear mounts fabricated. Can SSS do this? The guy that's gonna have a shot at it out here is likely gonna charge me a bucketload.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Dec 7, 2009, 07:32AM »
PM sent mack; you won't need anything fabricated regarding mounts, mechanic sounds like he is trying to make some money off you.

If you want to proceed with the mounts, could you please send / post up some pics of them so I can determine if they can be filled? If the position of the centre sleeve has moved too much due to cracked / missing rubber, it is hard to get them in the same position as they were in the car.

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:18PM »
When I took it in to try get it RWC and have the Mod Plates fitted the mechanic reckoned the front mount "looked dodgy" and told me to get it replaced. It had been fabricated and admittedly doesn't look fantastic but I'm pretty sure that structurally its fine.

The rear mount is pretty bung. There were some loose bolts and some metal on metal going on back there. Hopefully it just needs to be tightened back on and there isn't any stripped thread or anything.

I've taken it into the performance motors guy in town and he's going to have a look at them this week. I'll see what his opinion is on what needs to be done. I'll try get some photos for you SSS. Reading up on the net about urethane mounts... they sound like a goer

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:36PM »
Get the mounts from SSS you won't regret it.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:43PM »
lol I know I should..... I'm just so impatient to get it on the road  :P I've been waiting for nearly two months now to drive it........

even more so now that I broke the auto gear stick in the '89 Barina shitbox that gets me to work at the moment. I somehow broke the button so now it wont select anything except N or D. The shame of having to push-reverse into carparks  :P

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:36PM »
is this a silver TRX with black 5 spokes? if so thats KeGs old trx
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:39PM »
Yer from what I can gather it was Kegs then spanners then sweeu12's

and now it is mine... :P

Offline Jaytee

• [NVDIZ1]
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2009, 05:05AM »
shouldnt this be in the project cars section?  ??? ??? ???

'Not a member, Just a huge fan of them'

Rides:
'95 Honda XL250 mildly modded
'90 Corsair WIP

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2009, 09:46PM »
21TRX is registered and on the qld roads!

Came in well under budget... (That said i think I have dropped $12g to this point for it now)

Had to get both outer CV boots and one of the inner boots replaced. Luckily the joints themselves are still fine.

I've noticed the gears don't shift very smoothly. I attempted to bleed the clutch last night but after 5 rounds of pumping and bleeding i was still getting air bleeding out. Could my slave cylinder have a bung seal or something?

My big dilemma however....... I've lost ALL boost.

I'm led to believe the bleed valve was set to ~9psi but I can't confirm that as I only just fitted a gauge today. Was running sweet until yesterday. With the gauge attached it shows the boost will peak at ~12psi if revved quickly. It wont maintain it though and will sit at only about 2psi holding the revs at ~4000-5000rpm.

I've looked over all the intercooler piping and joins with the aid of some soapy water to look for bubbles but no luck. I'm thinking my turbo gaskets are gone. Perhaps this in an opportunity for a whole new turbo??

What's a good upgrade to the t25 on my sr20det out of a HNU12 Bluebird??

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:58PM »
go the spuddd!!!
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:44AM »
go the spuddd!!!

ie disco potato, gt28rs.

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:52AM »
I don't like my chances of sourcing one locally. Contact details for any good nissan wreckers?? Might be a good opportunity to solid fill mah engine mounts too...

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:26AM »
if you're referring to the turbo, source one through garrett aus or any of the turbo shops online in the US, get it new.

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2009, 07:03AM »
Before going out and buying a new turbo, are you sure your BOV is working correctly, it might be leaking all your boost.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:28AM »
yep the bov is shot. I want to replace it with a purely plumbed back one. already had a lot of attention from the cops and I'm trying really hard to keep everything above board. Budget is shrinking now so I'm thinking something like this...

http : // cgi. ebay . com . au /Blow-off-valve-bov-turbocharger-adjustable-S13-Nissan_W0QQitemZ200421407747QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2eaa0bfc03

Or perhaps I should avoid the cheap option or I'll just end up with another busted bov.

Will a t28 bolt straight on to my sr20det out of a HNU12?

http : // cgi. ebay . com . au /Garrett-T28-GT2560R-Turbo-S13-S14-S15-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ130353593217QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e59adfb81

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:28PM »
There is nothing wrong with using the stock standard BOV, it is inconspicuous and does it's job just fine when they aren't stuffed, try to source one of them. T28 won't bolt straight up, it requires a GTiR exhaust manifold and re-arrangement of your piping, oil and water lines are fine though.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #20 on: Jan 5, 2010, 11:07PM »
Well the mass amounts of smoke spewing out of my exhaust are giving me the inkling that the turbo is well and truly gone.... :(

Looking at the turbotech website, they list only one t25 turbo unit, with no options for different compressor and turbine housing trim sizes.

http://www.turbotech.com.au/turboproducts_listing.ews?turboproducts.ewdBrand=1&turboproducts.ewdBrand_Clasif ication=5

Can I safely assume their GT25 will swap out nicely with my shot one..... perhaps I should be emailing turbotech....... ahhhh but there is no wiser source of info than antrx

puppies smile for antrx

« Last Edit: Jan 5, 2010, 11:41PM by Mackdaddy »

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 6, 2010, 08:41AM »
I'd be looking at a second hand T28 mate, I know it's a little stuffing around but it will be a much nicer car with it on there.

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2010, 10:03AM »
Still waiting to drive mah beast again.... I'm opting for the budget fix at the moment. I'm looking at an ebay T25/T28 hybrid turbo as a quick fix to get the thing back on the road. When I move to brisbane in 6 months I'll look into the disco potato upgrade. Mount Isa simply isn't the place to have performance upgrades done  :P

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/T25-T28-Turbocharger-Nissan-200SX-180SX-S13-S14_W0QQitemZ140372703058QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20aedd7752

Sooner the better..... until then I'm driving a 95 festiva..... but with badly cracked and faded pink paint...... dignity gone.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:37PM »
Good luck with the chinese turbo! :P
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2010, 02:20AM »
nah i scrapped that idea. bought a spanking new new Garrett GT2560R from gcg turbos online. $1090 for the turbo but had to get an intake adapter to hook it to my current piping. gcg are damn cheap, other places I contacted wanted 1200 & 1400 for a newy.

That arrived almost 3 weeks ago but the farktard lazy shites i took it to still haven't installed it yet. Hopefully be back on the road Friday.... though they've been saying that for weeks now!

For the record, it wasn't a straight bolt on swap as I'd hoped. The compressor housing is much larger than the stock t25 on the HNU12 sr20. The lads have had to grind back a bung on my block to fit it. Also the 3 bolt compressor outlet flange is 60degrees out of line with the stock one- as in the three bolt holes are exactly oppositely out of line grrrr. Aaaaaaand the wastegate actuator was HUGE and didn't was to fit so they butchered the actuator of the old turbo to use it on this one....

Offline KA24ET

« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:44AM »
that actautor...
exactly what im looking for.. if u retain ur smaller one, you wont hold boost after bout 16psi, it will bleed off...
Wanna sell it?
Bigger actuator i mean

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2010, 09:55AM »
Yeah you can have it if you like man There was no way it was going to fit with the larger compressor housing on my new turbo with the stock manifold. The end of the actuator arm has been cut off is the only catch. You'll be able to weld it up for whatever you need though I'm sure.

I'm not looking to run massive boost anyway. I'm going to take the bleedvalve off and run stock boost for a little while to make sure everythings running sweet. Then I might up it to 12psi or so.....

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 1, 2010, 06:20PM »
You can always add a springs to help hold it shut, I did, works swell. LOL swell.

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #28 on: Mar 1, 2010, 09:31PM »
I lied. The actuator arm wasn't cut its all intact. He only had to cut the arm on mah old actuator. PM me your address and I'll get it sent your way.

Offline Mackdaddy

« Reply #29 on: Mar 3, 2010, 04:44PM »
2 months.

21TRX has been at the mechanic for 2 months today. $2500 later it's home now. Woot.

They took my bleedvalve off though.... I don't know what it was set to when it was attached but stock boost just isn't cutting it for me!