Author Topic: more dumb questions about my trx....  (Read 1380 times)

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
more dumb questions about my trx....
« on: Jun 13, 2009, 10:51PM »
okey dokey, after deciding its too much fun to drive to get rid off i decided to fix the issues my car has had over the last few months.

1= powersteer leak, this one was making a hell of a mess lol, was leaking from the big fat hose that goes from the pump up to a coupling thats attached the strut tower. priced a new hose from nissan, fark me, they wanted $320ish for a new one!!! so i headed off to the wreckers and grabbed one for $22 8) seems to have stopped the leak fine, but pump is still a bit rumbly, is there a certain way the hose has to go on to allow full flow? or is the pump probably just a bit stuffed after being run dry a couple of times?

2= my horn hasnt worked since ive had the car, fuse is fine, pulled of the horn pad to have a squiz, couldnt see anything too obvious, but noted there was no wire to connect the horn pad to the wheel, but not every car uses that system so didnt think anything about it. but when i was at the wreckers pulling the hose out of the wreck i decided to pull the hornpad off that car to have a look, and surprise surprise, it had that wire.... so when i got home i tried hooking it up. as soon as i try putting the hornpad back in the wheel the horn goes, and dosnt stop... any ideas on how to fix? maybe just replace the hornpad?

3= rocker cover gasket... it was weeping a little, so i figured id replace it. rung around a few places getting various prices, all around the $40-50 mark... thats at least double the price of any other rocker cover gasket ive done ::) ended up getting a pro-torque one for $42 from supercheap. anyway, its still weeping but nowhere near as bad, but what a dumb design for a gasket, seems to have very little meat around the boltholes, next time i might try a nissan one to see if there any better, didnt this time cos the nearest nissan dealer is a wee way away. worst thing is when i was tightening up one of the bolts, just giving it that little bit of extra pressure it suddenly released and started tightening again. aww shit :o lol... funny thing is, the weeping is nowhere near that bolt lol.
anyway, my question is, when i was looking real close for leaks i noticed there was oil bubbling around the base of a sparkplug, looking even closer it looks like there is an insert that is pressed into the head, and the plug screws into that. it looks like the oil is coming out of the join between the insert and the head? ive never seen anything like it lol

4= ive bought some wire, a switch and a relay, im going to wire up the thermos so i have full manual control over them, does anyone have a diagram of the plugs so i can jam an extra power wire in there to switch them on and off? i dont have a multimeter or even a basic power probe type thing, so its a bit hard to work out whats what. i got a driving light relay that has two load/accessory terminals and im planning on just unplugging the fans and adding in my wiring. not gonna worry about any sensor related switching.

5= driving lights, neither of mine work, one did lol, but no more. has anyone just slapped a couple of new driving lights in there and used the original wiring? i know the wiring 'should' be upgraded, but in reality, does it really make much difference? im thinking of some 100 watters from supercrap, but not too keen if is gonna fry the wiring. but if its just gonna mean the lights arent quite as bright as they could then im fine with that.

umm, what else lol... ohh, whats the rough price to get a bootlid resprayed? i dont wanna put my spoiler back on, so i might just grab a non-spoilered bootlid from the wreckers.

damn, thats a long post ;D anyone that didnt get too bored and made it this far, cheers lol

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
Re: more dumb questions about my trx....
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2009, 05:46PM »
Problem #3- the foam in the horn pad has collapsed allowing the contact somewhere ( I assume it is two metal points and when touched the circuit is complete, thus the horn works) so the horn works constantly, to get this contact normally you would press the horn, and compress the foam and the horn would work. To fix get a new centre piece (the bit of the wheel you press for the horn) or get some foam tape and pull of the outer rubber bit with the horn/nissan logo pressed into it and put the foam tape over the original foam, this is only a temp fix though, another idea is get a button switch thing and hook the horn to that, this is what I did, it still passed rego in NSW as well.

Sorry if I was a bit vague, my auto electrical skills aren't exactly brilliant and I can't really describe anything auto electrical because of this.

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
Re: more dumb questions about my trx....
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2009, 07:53PM »
Problem #3- the foam in the horn pad has collapsed allowing the contact somewhere ( I assume it is two metal points and when touched the circuit is complete, thus the horn works) so the horn works constantly, to get this contact normally you would press the horn, and compress the foam and the horn would work. To fix get a new centre piece (the bit of the wheel you press for the horn) or get some foam tape and pull of the outer rubber bit with the horn/nissan logo pressed into it and put the foam tape over the original foam, this is only a temp fix though, another idea is get a button switch thing and hook the horn to that, this is what I did, it still passed rego in NSW as well.

Sorry if I was a bit vague, my auto electrical skills aren't exactly brilliant and I can't really describe anything auto electrical because of this.

not vague at all, thats pretty much what i suspected was the case.

cheers for confirmation.