Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
gym
« on: Mar 24, 2007, 03:26PM »
what's your routine ?

what's your diet ?

what supplements you on ?

what gains have you had in what amount of time ?
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2007, 03:28PM by chr1S »
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
Re: gym
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2007, 03:30PM »
6 day a week, one muscle group a day bar, arms on tuesday and legs/back on sat

clean food, no softdrink, no sugars, artificial flavouring, etc. Just simple food like chicken and herbs baked, oats for breakfast

ON whey, Xtend BCAA, Cassein protein, Cellmass and Leangain XL

in 2 months, with a strict diet, f'n good :). but i had a 2 week break and lost a little size/hardness.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2007, 05:27PM »
3 Days a week. Only work upper body in the gym, legs and whatnot are taken care of at hockey training.

I eat whatever i feel like, not really on a strict diet, but i spend enough time swimming to not get fat.

No Supplements, just good old fashioned grunt and pain.

Been doing this for 3 months and ive put on 5 kilos and lost 3% body fat.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2007, 05:32PM »
thats alright..

try eating clean, and getting on some protein, it'll help by far..

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2007, 07:50PM »
man, gym buffs  ::)

Basketball 2 nights a week, 1hr session on drums 3 days a week minimum.

Eat whatever I want, only restricting myself to junk food once a week (usually) oh and dont drink booze.

Supplements?  is that like a compliment but with a greeting infront. 
ie. "Sup dude, your drumming the other day was mad"

I've always been a runt, but a fit one, over the last 10 years i've gained 5kg and put my fat index right on the money for my height :)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2007, 02:13PM »
weak colby, weak  :P

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:11AM »
6 day a week, one muscle group a day bar, arms on tuesday and legs/back on sat

clean food, no softdrink, no sugars, artificial flavouring, etc. Just simple food like chicken and herbs baked, oats for breakfast

ON whey, Xtend BCAA, Cassein protein, Cellmass and Leangain XL

in 2 months, with a strict diet, f'n good :). but i had a 2 week break and lost a little size/hardness.

chris have you considered trying compound exercises?  I understand they are far superior to isolated ones when it comes to building muscle, and you only need to do three workouts a week (the rest periods are important).  Free-weights are the best route to go for compound exercises.

Personally, I have just started (tonight, in fact) shovelgloving.  Basically, you get yourself a sledgehammer, wrap the end in an old jumper for safety, and start swinging it about.  Do 14 minutes per day on weekdays of various exercises which simulate certain actions - such as chopping wood, or thrusting a spear - and you're done.

I have no desire for all the hassles that come with gymming, but this is something I can do - I just waltz into my loungeroom and swing the sledge for 14 minutes, then I'm finished.  I don't need to change, or stretch, and it's awesome swinging a heavy weapon about  ;D

I hope to make this a lifelong habit - I know I'd never go to the gym regularly for the rest of my life, but shovelgloving is something which I just might be able to stick with in the long term.  I'm going to take a picture every week of my progress, so we'll see - if I've gotten all buff in a few months, maybe I'll post the series.
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:12AM »
yeh working with heavy tools gives you big arms and a chest heh

i've tried it before, main problem is, i can't do all my exercises within 1.5 hours, if i go over that, u've done too much training...

I've seen best gains with what ive got now anywya, im just tweaking it :).

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2007, 11:58AM »
Unfortunatley, the method Narxysus describes is actually more detrimental to your health than controlled, methodical exercise. Its an idea that has been put into the heads of some people who believe natural is the way to go, and anything mechanised, or scientific is... well, against god. :P

The best example i can think of is Rocky 4. When he vs Ivan Drago. rocky believes that natural exercises (running up mountains, using chains, hauling logs etc) is a better alternative to exercises using machines, metal weights and controlled monitored routines.

Get yourself the Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Bodybuiliding. Its massive, has everything from the history, exercises, routines, diet, posing... basically everything you need to know about the world of Bodybuilding.

But, it all depends what your overall aim is. You want mass? Heavy weights, small reps. Want to get cut and strong? Light weights, lots of repetitions. Want to get fit? Kalisthenics (as in only using ur body weight - push ups, chin ups, squats, running, etc).

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline LaZaZaL

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2007, 01:46PM »
Mmm, i use super mass weight gain for rugby, as well as the occasional protein bars, i feel they cost too much. I have 3 shakes a day with 100g of protein in each one... Did it for 2 weeks as well as doing gym 4-5 times a week and gained 5 or 6 kilo's in 2 weeks. It was a bit fast lol... I went off the shake and weights for 3 weeks and ive lost 2 kilos and a fair bit of tone. Im starting up again in the holidays...
My routine is ussually just arms everyday e.g biscept curls, i do d/b bench press, instead of normal press becuz my elbow is fucked, but it has nearly the same effect. I also do leg press and lots of urg/rowing machine... then other days ill do lat pulldown and pull ups etc.. My aim was to put on a lot of weight before footy so i didnt get fucked over lol... My other problem is since im starting to do boxing, i cant gain too much weight, i need to get more defined and pure muscle, last time i was tested i was 12.5% body fat
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007, 01:48PM by LaZaZaL »
GOT DRIFT?

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2007, 02:49PM »
I have 3 shakes a day with 100g of protein in each one

dude, if im not mistaken, that's about 3-4 scoops of protein powder in each shake...

you're overdoing it, your pissing most of it out or shitting it out.

you only need 1.5 x body mass of protein a day. Add a little extra if you're training hard.

my carbs/protein/fats ratio's are 40/40/20

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2007, 03:00PM »
Unfortunatley, the method Narxysus describes is actually more detrimental to your health than controlled, methodical exercise. Its an idea that has been put into the heads of some people who believe natural is the way to go, and anything mechanised, or scientific is... well, against god. :P

The best example i can think of is Rocky 4. When he vs Ivan Drago. rocky believes that natural exercises (running up mountains, using chains, hauling logs etc) is a better alternative to exercises using machines, metal weights and controlled monitored routines.

Get yourself the Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Bodybuiliding. Its massive, has everything from the history, exercises, routines, diet, posing... basically everything you need to know about the world of Bodybuilding.

But, it all depends what your overall aim is. You want mass? Heavy weights, small reps. Want to get cut and strong? Light weights, lots of repetitions. Want to get fit? Kalisthenics (as in only using ur body weight - push ups, chin ups, squats, running, etc).

Nah eurisko, you've got me all misread.  I'm doing the sledgehammer stuff because a) it's easy b) it's exercise and c) it will build strength and muscle a bit.

I'm not against gym stuff at all, but in the health and exercise section of a forum I visit, there is an overwhelming belief that compound exercises are far better at achieving strength and size goals than isolation exercises.  This is primarily because each of the body's muscles are designed to be worked in tandem with a lot of other muscles, not on their own.  Additionally, because you are able to use more of your power in compound exercies, you can do more intense exercises than otherwise.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2007, 03:59PM »
Unfortunately that overwhelming belief is also mistaken.

Using weights doesnt always mean isolation. The best example is the Dead Lift. This is where you have a massive weight, and just lift (using your legs of course, not you back) to just above knee height. This exercise builds up what is called core muscles and core strength. Legs, arms, back are all worked out. Bone structures are strengthened, as well as joints.

This is just one of many exercises that are "complete body".

But ur single greatest misconception is that muscles work in tandem with each other. Take for example your arms. Each muscle is independent from each other (you do have opposing groups - biceps/triceps for example but they are still independent), thats why you see sometimes people with massive biceps, and no triceps.

Other groups, like abdominals/intercostals... or ur trunk, have muscles are are connected, but still independent.

Another point where you are being misled, is the fact that because you are able to use more muscles, you can do more intense workouts. What you are doing is utilising large amounts of muscle groups, instead of focusing on specific areas.

The simple fact is this. If you are just starting to lift weights, or bodybuild, you need to do alot of core exercises. Some examples are -

Squats, Deadlifts, Clean and Jerks, Military or Push Presses, Chin Ups etc. All these exercises build large areas of muscles, and provide a solid foundation for more specific training later on.

The biggest problem I have with your method, is the fact it is very violent, and quite dangerous. Movements that are that sudden and jerky, promote damage to delicate parts of your body... particiularly the lower back. Swinging a large heavy mass around is the reason people throw their backs out. Damage to joints and tendons wouldnt be surprising.

I strongly suggest you stop doing those kinds of exersises. If you want to get strong, Kalisthenics. It wont be long before you cause damage to yourself.

Your a very educated person, and i strongly suggest you research a bit more regarding this.... particularly because it pertains to your health.

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2007, 04:22PM »
i'd say hit up the local gym narx,

it's not very expensive, followed with a good diet great gains are to be had, it also makes you feel healthy about yourself, mentally and physically.. the confidence gained is huge and meh, u just feel good, full of energy...

for purposes, i'll post up my routine...

Monday [ Chest + Cardio ]
------
Incline bench press or db press
Flat bench press
Incline db press
Incline flyes ( db or cable )
Pullovers
Flat flyes ( db or cable )

Decline bench press ( Every 2nd week )
Decline flyes "" ""

15-20 min speedwalk incline on treadmill

Tuesday [ Triceps + Biceps + Abs ]
------

Close grip bench press
Skullcrushers
Overhead extentions
Cable pulldowns or reversegrip ( 1 dropset )

Standing bb curls
Incline db curls
Hammer curls
Preacher machine ( 1 dropset )

Cable crunches
Decline weighted crunches
Standing or sitting twists

Wednesday [ Back + Forearms + Cardio ]
------

Wide-grip pullups ( weighted )
Wide-grip latpulldown ( behind neck or front )
Db rows
Seated cable rows
close-grip pulldowns
Hyperextensions
Tbar row or heavy machine.

Farmcurls
Behind the back wristcurls

Thursday [ Shoulders + Traps + Abs ]
------

Military press
Seated Db press
Front raises
Side lateral raises
Seated bent over raise or reverse pec dec

Db shrugs

Friday [ Chest + Forearms + Cardio ]
------

Incline bench press or db press
Flat Bench
Decline Bench
Incline flyes ( db or cable )
Chest machine
Flat Flyes ( db or cable )
Incline or Decline cable crossovers

------

Saturday [ Legs + Abs ]
------

Squats
Leg press
Leg extensions
Leg curls
Sitting Calves
Standing "" ""

Cable crunches
Decline weighted crunches
Standing or sitting twists

Sunday [ Rest ]

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2007, 05:57PM »
I do a workout every 2nd day. Just do arms, shoulders, legs, back, stomach etc in around an hr. No protein shake, only cos it's too expensive, so i make up with tuna, eggs and chicken.
And i agree with chris, no way that much protein is used. Like he said you need 1 gram for every pound you weight (2grams per kilo) and anything more is a waste! I reckon you could cut that down, and following that formula you will still experience the same weight gain!

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:01PM »
Squats, Deadlifts, Clean and Jerks, Military or Push Presses, Chin Ups etc. All these exercises build large areas of muscles, and provide a solid foundation for more specific training later on.

Arg, more confusion - perhaps I'm not wording my posts correctly, but it is precisely these exercises which I am referring to when I say 'compound exercises".  These are good, so we agree wholeheartedly on this.  Ignore the rest of my words around it, I'm probably phrasing it all wrong.

As to the exercise I'm doing, I am not advocating it is part of the above exercises.  My point to chris about his regime and my point about my regime are totally distinct and I didn't mean to get them mixed together.

i'd say hit up the local gym narx,

it's not very expensive, followed with a good diet great gains are to be had, it also makes you feel healthy about yourself, mentally and physically.. the confidence gained is huge and meh, u just feel good, full of energy...

I could never commit to going to the gym.  I don't like having to leave the house for something as simple as exercise, and all the crap you have to manage at the gym, bleh.  Also, the cost of going to the gym is insane, at least where I am.  I cannot justify the cost going to the gym, especially when the health benefits can be derived much cheaper from home - basically, there's too much vanity involved in going to the gym.

I don't care about building mass, or getting stronger - I consider these to be side benefits of the shovelglove exercises.  I'm doing those because I want to get into an exercise habit I can commit to for life, which is something I think cannot be said for going to the gym.

And don't worry eurisko - I'll go slow and methodical rather than jerky and quick on my exercises.  I went thru a phase where I was planning to head to the gym to do freeweights, and had read a bunch of info, such as these threads:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1955180
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2123791

but I realised it's something I could never commit to in the long term, because I have no desire to a) look better or b) be stronger, so what would be the point?

Offline LaZaZaL

« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2007, 05:04PM »
dude, if im not mistaken, that's about 3-4 scoops of protein powder in each shake...

you're overdoing it, your pissing most of it out or shitting it out.

you only need 1.5 x body mass of protein a day. Add a little extra if you're training hard.

my carbs/protein/fats ratio's are 40/40/20
Ye 4 scoops each one, lol, mmm i was overdoing it but i needed the weight fast, according to my friend who is a dietition (If that is how u spell it  :-\) that was about how much i needed to take for the weight i needed to gain... The more you train the more protein you burn the less weight you gain, i needed any weight fast, so i needed to take a fair bit more protein then i was burning. Worked for me :P Now i just need to get back into gym in holidays ><

Oh yeah by the way, to all you people who cbf to go to the gym and want something for the home...

Try the bullworker, worked for me my dad when he was my age and my cousin, in fact its worked for everyone ive known thats had it :S... I just keep forgetting to use it during school time due to all the work load in yr12, so i go to the gym instead.

http://www.longlife-ent.com.au/
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007, 05:07PM by LaZaZaL »
GOT DRIFT?

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2007, 05:42PM »
k-arnie.

Offline LaZaZaL

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2007, 05:57PM »
np rocky
GOT DRIFT?

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 02:44PM »
So my fiance decided that she wanted to join a jim to get fit for wedding... and hence made me join for motovational support.  Personally I prefer a competitive sport rather than just gym, plus the gym is quite expensive.  $17 a week!  bit steep i thought, and its like a 12 month contractual thing... so i'm just trying to decide if i should get out of it now while i still can.  They dont even have a pool :(

Thinking about it I could only play say two games of basketall or some other sport filling up 2-4hrs per week with excercise, but the gym i could use for 8hrs a week if I felt like it.

I'm thinking for the price i might as well just buy a road bike and ride to uni two days a week.  would cost alot less and would be practical.

What do you guys think?  Buy bike and ride to uni, plus join a team sport?  or go to gym with fiance?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 02:54PM »
Dunno col, I can't stand gyms... but thats just me.

I'm starting up indoor soccer soon :)  Used to play years ago.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Dano Da Bomb

• Antrx Steriod Squrell
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Your friendly local porn star
    • Pringlesisgay.org
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 04:12PM »
Omg i love they gym i was going 4 times a week and had a personal trainer once a week until i found out i need shoulder surgery so no more heavy weights for me anymore.  :'(Which suxs as i had put on a bit of bulk but i'll listen to the doctor for now tee hee ;)
Pringles loves men

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 08:42PM »
gym gym gym colby  ;D

you don't want your mrs being stronger  :P

Offline oldn_tired

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 05:00PM »
To gym or not to gym, I have been high tech and low tech my first weight set was two holden 186 crank shafts so you don't have to be to fancy with your gear.
When I was hard core it was like an addiction you realy start to get addicted to the burn, feeling the pain the next day let you know you had pushed it to the limit.
I went from 120kg with 40% body fat to 90kg with 19% when I was 25 and by god it was hard work.
my routines ended up with 3 by 10 rep sets with 25kg dumbbells, now days I dont go over 3 by 5 with 15kg.
I would recommend to any one a couple of gym sessions even if its to watch others and look at the different exercises used, you can then try to replicate them at home.
Probably the main advantage to a gym is the fact you have paid good money and are likely too try and get some value out of it.
Before you start a program sit down and do a plan, make it realistic and set real goals be honest with yourself and decide what you want to achieve, are you prepared to maintain the effort required to stay big if its size you want.
Remember the biggest reason people quit is they try to hard and often hurt themselves  and give up.
Set a base plan,you can always increase it for a while to try to achieve more,but it gives you a point to come back to if you cant keep up or just get the shits with the extra effort.

Supplements are OK and can be usefull in moderation but they are SUPPLIMENTS and should not be the mainstay of your diet most of them are pretty much the same.
I have always mixed it up one or two days heavy weights, one day light high reps, one day just pushups, crunches and exercise bike(the best exercise for you knees by far)  get the heart rate over 120 and keep it there for at least 1/2 an hour.
Pushups and crunches are great for when you take a spell from your routine or go on holidays you don't need a lot of time or space to crank out 60-70 pushups and a couple of hundred crunches.
Good luck with it guys

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 05:41PM by oldn_tired »

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 09:18PM »
im into my new routine and i love it, it's giving me some decent gains.

it's heavy low reps.

on chest for example

incline dumbell press,

80lbs each arm x 6 reps

i can probably go heavier, but it's enough for now.

for me, the hardest thing staying consistant is school, i need time off to study, etc.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 11:45AM »
Well I got dragged along to the gym last night.  want to focus on my cardio fitness and getting rid of the little pot which has tried to grow over the past 5 years (put on 10kg).  Excuse my terminology coming up.

So I did 20min on the horizontal bike things.
few sets on the fly machine to do chest/arms (the one that makes you look like a bird flapping wings)
10min on cross trainer
2000m on rower

thats it for my first session, my HR was up around 160-180 for most of the time.  I have no idea what i'm doing there, and my fiance isnt exactly a great training partner (she doesnt want to do many weights etc)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 01:58PM »
how about if i make you a routine ?

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: Jun 9, 2007, 01:57PM »
5 days a week on a building site

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #28 on: Jun 21, 2007, 11:46PM »
Chris id be interested to see a routine you could make for me.

Im a cricketer;

OFF SEASON:

morning run twice a week average for 20 minutes or so plus about 2 km walking to the oval and back warm up/cool down each way.

1hour net session twice a week.

beach run once a week or so just because i can.

DURING SEASON:

cricket training 2.5 hours 4 times a week
net session 1 hour once a week
2 game days of about 6 hours per day.
usually love going to the beach to relax the muscles both saturday and sunday.

Im joining a gym on saturday, planning on going three times a week during offseason, maybe twice a week during the season.

Im not on any supplements or anything, slack diet which is why every offseason i get fat :P but this year im changing that by joining the gym and working out and running and lots more offseason training etc.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #29 on: Jun 21, 2007, 11:51PM »
meh just run,

i don't think a build up cricketer would be any good  :P