Author Topic: Front suspension strut mounts  (Read 8405 times)

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
Re: Front suspension strut mounts
« Reply #30 on: Aug 19, 2015, 07:29PM »
Ok- had a play around this afternoon .

Set the idle and timed the engine, went round the loop a couple of times and had a 750 rpm idle and 15 degrees before tdc...all good.

Then as soon as I plugged the TPS in the idle went to 1200 rpm and pretty much stays there!  No ecu error codes.

What gives?  I have been advised of a mechanic who is good with this kind of thing and with diagnosing efi issues so he is getting a visit tomorrow!

Said some nasty things tonight about the car... :-\
Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #31 on: Aug 20, 2015, 07:57AM »
Sounds like the IACV valve isn't working correctly. When you plug the grey TPS connector back in after adjusting idle and setting timing, it should idle at 850-900rpm approx.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #32 on: Aug 20, 2015, 08:04AM »
Thread is now way off topic!

I had a chat to an auto electrician friend and he gave me some good feedback.  he was busy and he doesn't have a 'Consult' as described in the FSM and wasn't sure if his scanning equipment would interface or work with the Pintara (being 25 years old :o)

He said then even though the inbuilt error checking may say no errors, he said that the oxygen sensor could be stuffed allow the car to either run I open loop mode, or run rich all the time.  I checked with Supercheap and an 02 sensor is $43 -so cheap enough to just try it.

Regarding the high idle speed the suggestion is that the TPS could be stuffed or dirty or stuck or something.  I will pull it off and give it a clean and try again.  Around $80 on ebay for a TPS - assuming that is the issue.

I will let you now how I get on.

You may also need to verify that the TPS voltage when the throttle is closed, is approx 0.45-0.48 V, and when the throttle is fully open, it should read greater than 4.5 V.

PLMS do a usb consult interface (about $110 from memory), software is cheap if not free and will allow you to check these sort of things without having to touch wiring.

I've done the same in the past with my black U12 - changed narrowband O2 sensors, plugs / leads, all of that, never with any sort of tangible improvement. Narrowband O2 sensors typically don't cause massive fuel consumption issues unless they are erroneously reading lean mixtures. The O2 sensor only works in certain conditions too, ie low load / low rpm (5th gear cruise, putting around town etc).

My money is still on your thermostat malfunctioning or being stuck open.

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #33 on: Aug 20, 2015, 11:45AM »
Thanks for your feedback.  I will have a look at the thermostat on the weekend.  I am running out of days in this week! 

I was thinking it could be a temperature related thing with the high idle and running in enrichment mode etc.  So this morning I took the car into someone who knows what they are doing and they had a look....

Firstly, I stuffed up!  I had left the ECU in 'diagnostic mode'; i.e. hadn't turned the screw fully anti-clockwise after checking the fault codes and this was the reason for the high idle.  Turned the ECU screw fully to the left and now it idles where it should at 850rpm.

Then had a chat about the fuel economy issues and also the vacuum hose I couldn't find a home for.  He found the place the vacuum hose has to go; so it may be that the vacuum leak was a reason for the bad fuel economy. A couple of the hoses are perished and the ends are stretched so they are prone to falling off.  I  bought some vacuum hose and will replace the dodgy looking hoses.

Finally, I will drop it into his shop next week for the once over including a CO sniff of the exhaust.  It is possible that the O2 sensor could be suspect.

Slowly getting there with the old beast!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #34 on: Aug 20, 2015, 02:14PM »
Change the hoses one by one - there is a lot of them and you want to make sure they go back the exact same way!

On my old grey TRX daily, I spent a long time trying to get the SCV system working again, part of the problem was half the hoses were not in the correct position/s.

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #35 on: Aug 20, 2015, 05:50PM »
Thanks for the advice. 

I bought a meter length of vac hose and will replace the two worst hoses one by one as you say!

On the topic of having it all correctly plumbed, is there a thread where anyone has taken pictures of the correct vacuum hose set-up?  Trying to follow the hose diagramme in the FSM is not so simple....

Anyway, the technician who had a look today seemed to know his way around the KA24e (he is an old guy!) and when he gives the car the once-over on Monday he will check the vacuum plumbing.  I will also ask him to check the TSP voltage as well as I messed with the TSP last night... 

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #36 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:47AM »
Had a diagnostic tune-up yesterday.

The O2 sensor was stuffed and some of the vacuum thingies plumbed the wrong way.

Hopefully now the fuel economy will be a lot better!