Author Topic: cornering light to indicator conversion  (Read 1922 times)

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
cornering light to indicator conversion
« on: Sep 4, 2005, 10:09AM »
has anybody considered this?  i'm planning on doing a front bar conversion (s15 c-west N1 if anyone was wondering), and because there's no front indicators on the bar, and i don't particularly feel like chopping into the fibreglass, it seems like a viable option.

i can't forsee if being too difficult.  it would only involve buying appropriate amber bulbs (possibly led cluster), and and little bit of rewiring.

probably a half day job, hopefully i'll get started this week, if i can find the bulbs
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted

Offline xxcbonexx

• antrx.com junior member
  • its pronounced stan-za
Re: cornering light to indicator conversion
« Reply #1 on: Sep 4, 2005, 10:23AM »
Yea mine is set up like that. Im not the one who did it though so im not sure of the workings of it, but im sure its a simple thing to do.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #2 on: Sep 4, 2005, 10:56AM »
excellent... my dad's an electrician, and i asked him... he said its not complicated at all..  which is sweet

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 4, 2005, 01:50PM »
It is rather easy to do.

The other thing to look at is the legality of it. I doubt it would be legal because the cornering lights are set back down the side of the car and wouldn't be visible from the opposite side of the front of the car.

Pic of what I mean:
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Sep 4, 2005, 01:57PM »
yeh i've done this, n14 sss bumper had no indicators in it. i just cut the wires going to the indicators, cut the wires going to the cornering lights and joined em up. easy.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #5 on: Sep 4, 2005, 09:25PM »
hmm... thanks for the diagram... i'll think about it, and maybe how i can try and redirect it..

mind you... lots of cars seem to have the indicators on the corners... i can't see them having such a broad angle, but i'll have a look on the road tonite..

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2005, 12:41PM »
so i've found the bulbs, and i'm putting some secondary indicators on the front bar to make sure oncoming vehicles can see which way i'm indicating to turn...

i've run into a problem tho..  how do i remove the cornering lamp itself?  (so i can change the bulb)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2005, 01:15PM »
theres a screw on the top of the headlight, take that one out and then the whole light will slide towards the front of the car allowing you to remove it. thats how i remember doing mine...
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Trx

• antrx.com full member
  • 1990 Tr.x white
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2005, 07:44PM »
mate.. i got a trx 1990 and im considering this also .. im a sparky and it sounds practical and easy .. you should leave ur stock indicators on there and place an orange bulb on ur cornering lights... everytime u put ur indicator on it will be orange.. the only propblem is it will not flash .. there for u trace the indicator wiring back and connect your cornering lights into it with an orange bulb and it would flash apon using hazards and indicating .. hope it helps.. good luck to you and myself lol...

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2005, 09:36PM »
mate, it was done a while ago, and worked quite well.  very simple to do, however they can't really function as the primary indicators.  plus if your cornering lights are all frosted up, it can only be seen at night

some electrical rewiring might also be necessary to make them shine brighter, however admitedly i am using amber superbright LED's, so just as a caution, finding a LED cluster or even amber bulb might serve better