Author Topic: Howdy, my introduction! Interested in tech :). Oh yeah a few pics...  (Read 5747 times)

Offline nebuchernezzer

• antrx.com junior member
Howdy, I'm always interested in new ideas for projects (some of which I'll actually do!) and right now the U12 Pintara is interesting me.
I don't actually own a U12 but I'm quite interested in tech and projects...anyways I'll make another thread about that.
Here I'll just introduce myself.
I'm Jarich, I'm a Newcastle NSW native although until 2009 I'm living in Japan.  My current cars are an S13 Silvia and an S13 180sx but I'm interested in all cars really.  My main focus of driving is drifting however I also enjoy hillclimb, circuit, motorkhana and drag, once again just about anything :)
About myself, I'm allergic to spending money (especially paying other people to do things) so I've never used a workshop for anything except for the odd trip to one to get them to use their big press on balljoints and things like that.  I've taken to doing my own wheel alingments and suspension setup after discovering that surpassing your average wheel/tyre/alignment shops knowledge isn't a difficult thing to do.  In the end the only thing I don't do is weld, I've always been lazy as my dad is a skilled fabricator (restores old euro Fords as a hobby) and some of my mates are tradesmen.  Dad does most of the spraypainting but I can do all the prep work.  All the rest I'm confident with by myself :).

My past cars, brief history for anyone who cares haha.
Mark 2 RS2000, genuine, nice car, me and dad restored it and resprayed it but I didn't want to modify a classic.

My second and third cars were S12 Gazelle SGL coupes, nice cars I'm still a fan (one of my future projects will be another S12).  One of them was a cheap project (kind of) and a good way to learn alot.  Mods included late model S12 IRS conversion (originally my early model car was a live axle), LSD conversions (2 way LSD from an R31 with Z31 turbo axles), SR20DET conversion, S13 gearbox, S13 font suspension conversions, S14/15 brakes and a few other things.  I also did an SR20DE+T conversion on this car when the SR20DET did a big end (kind of expected as it was a flogged engine even before I got it and put it in my S12).

3rd car is a 1990 S13 Silvia Q's, it had a completed (kind of as you can see in the photo below) SR20DET conversion when I got it but not much else.  I added all the mods you'd need to use the car for just about anything, front mount, exhaust, 2 way LSD, coilovers, all adjustable control arms, seat, gauges, radiator, oil cooler etc etc.  Also resprayed it in the shed and added some cosmetics too.

4th car is a 199X 180sx.  I bought this car basically complete, since I'm in Japan without much access to tools, garages etc and I didn't want to stuff around building a car.  Nonetheless I'm still changing alot of minor stuff around on it, interior, wheels, suspension setup etc...as you can see by the first pics when I bought it and the later pics of how it is now.
It has basically very similar mods to my Silvia but it has an IHI turbo and a cage and has a fair bit more power.

If anyone wants more info or whatever just ask.  Yoroshikuonegaishimasu.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2007, 08:43PM by nebuchernezzer »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Welcome to antrx Jarich :D

What are you doing over in Japan champ?  Working doing what?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline nebuchernezzer

Teaching, same thing everyone over here does haha.  It's rare to see gaijin (foreigners) outside of the english teaching industry really.
I also sell parts off Yahoo! and from UpGarage on the side to supplement my income.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
You a qualified teacher, or just teaching english like alot of other aussies?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline nebuchernezzer

Just teaching, no qualifications :).
My actaul background is mechanical civil and structural engineering.

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
welcome

AND WOAH THAT IS ONE CRAZY GEAR STICK!
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
Welcome! :D

thats an impressive list of cars you have there. I'm liking the s12 with the sr20det :)

welcome

AND WOAH THAT IS ONE CRAZY GEAR STICK!

bet the girlfriend liked it  ;)
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline nebuchernezzer

Lol yes she loves it :P.

Yeah I do like that S12, I want to do another S12 project one day (probably just with a CA20E, just a daily type car) but if it comes up for sale I'd buy my old car back in a heartbeat.  It's in QLD somewhere now.  It was my first attempt at pretty much everything so I'd like to go back and change a few things but I still love it :).
Random interior photo of it.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
Lovely list their, love the 180sx and the s13  ;)

Hopefully you get the u12 and it ends up like those! Welcome!

Offline nebuchernezzer

Thanks!
I forgot, I owned an R31 Pintara for about 7 months.  Good car, I had alot of fun driving around in it (I replaced all the shocks, balljoints and springs so it was quite nice to drive) and owning a wagon was great (I'd prefer a U12 superhatch for that reason).

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
why the apexi super afc & the plms chip swticher in the S12? or is it not a s-afc?

welcome to antrx mate.. 1 bit of advice.. find and buy a nice u12 in japan and hold on to it for a year, then send it home. i saw some japanese u12 superhatches with sr20's in them on yahoo auctions for about $300 recently.. of course you'd have to pay to get them over here but they were top nick, low km, sr20 and had the trx bodykit.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline nebuchernezzer

Nah it's an Apexi RSM, good to have for a bit of fun.
The PLMS stuff is pretty sweet, been talking to Pete L for a long time (I built that S12 years ago now) and I run his stuff in my Silvia as well as do all my mates.  He's got realtime tuning stuff for the OEM ECUs now as well, pretty sweet stuff.

Nah I wouldn't use the 1 year personal import rule on a U12 I'm afraid, even bringing home my 180sx under that rule (as I am doing) won't be a super big financial success should I decide to sell it once I get home.
There is a limit of 1 car per person per year as well.

If I were to bring a U12 back it'd have to be a 1988 model and go under the 15 year rule instead (it'd have a CA though).
Also any $300-$500 car won't have any rego or shakken, so I'd have to buy it, get an inspection rego etc for it which comes to about $1500 not including anything I have to replace (same as for an oz rego inspection, perhaps I'd need a new cat or some balljoints or tyres or whatever).  Then I'd have to put it on a boat and pay tax and bring it back.
On top of that it'd be no good for drifting (actually I've seen U12 drift cars with rwd conversions, but it's more for shits and giggles) which is what I do with my spare time hehe.
I'd estimate a $500 U12 would be more like a $5000-6000 U12 by the time I got home.  Not to bad a price overall but if I build a U12 in Oz my budget will be in the under $5k range anyways :).
Nice idea but it just doesn't work out that well in the end :(.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
lol that gearstick lights up blue like crazy!
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
U12 drift cars with rwd conversions? Any photos or info on them?

Offline nebuchernezzer

It's pretty much the same as for any rwd conversion on this kind of car, weld the centre diff and remove the front driveshafts.
They do it on all sorts, anything from WRXs (you can buy mini spools for their centre diffs if you don't like the idea of welding) to EVO's to Diahatsu Mira 4wds.
It's a pretty universal idea :).
Basically weld the diff, chuck in some coilovers, usually weld the rear diff too.
I've only seen the one car done like this however, it's much more common to do it to a WRX or a Celica GT4.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Nice line up of cars, and it's great to see someone else does things the way I do... I'm allergic to spending money too :P

That grass at your place in NSW looks lush.

I just bought a R31 Pintara wagon on monday, it'll be my work car. If it ends up being too sluggish with all my tools in it I'll be putting either a CA18DET, CA20ET or RB30E into it.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline nebuchernezzer

Having driven and drifted an R31 Skyline in the past (a mates car) I'd steer clear of the RB30E.  Great engine but having a 4 cylinder up front (it's almost a midforward design since hte motor is so short!) makes the car handle a whole lot better.
My plan with the Pintara was a CA18DE+T so the girlfriend could learn to drift in it but we sold it and came to Japan instead.
I do rather like the pinny, the old CA20E isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be (my S12s all had that motor originally as well) especially when you put the timing up to 20 DBTDC (stock is 0 degrees for oz, but 15 degrees OS).  It really wakes them up.  My other plan if I get one again and can't be bothered swapping to a CA18 is to supercharge the CA20E or turbocharge the CA20E.  Use either a T25G or a 1GGZE supercharger.
Cheap deals haha.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
I've already done a CA20E+T with a T25G, it's my daily driver at the moment. The whole car (U11 Bluebird) has cost me $2000 or so start to finish not including registration. I haven't put an intercooler or catch can in it yet, they're next on my list.

Gotta love cheap projects :D
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline nebuchernezzer

I do I do!
If I get a U12 that's exactly what it'll be!
If I can scrounge enough parts I'd like to do a 4wd superhatch for under $5k :).