Author Topic: Advice  (Read 2424 times)

Offline gholson

• antrx.com junior member
Advice
« on: Aug 5, 2007, 02:57AM »
last night I ran 16.4 in the quarter mile in a stock 91 stanza, looking for best ideas for the most gain I can get for the money, any suggestions as far as internals and such. I'm getting new exhaust this week I was thinking of gutting the cat then running maxflo exhaust from the cat back.

Offline woody

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: Aug 5, 2007, 10:25AM »
hey mate
on knocin out the honeycomb shit in ya cat i done this a while a go and didnt notice any difference BUT if ya gona get a cat back exsaust as wel ya neva know!!!
it could be worth a shot but if ya got a little bit of coin it might be worth goin the lot i got my extractors hi flow cat and exsaust for under $1000 but i wouldin say it was out of the best materials eather
let us know how you go with it all??

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 5, 2007, 11:34AM »
hey mate
on knocin out the honeycomb shit in ya cat i done this a while a go and didnt notice any difference BUT if ya gona get a cat back exsaust as wel ya neva know!!!
it could be worth a shot but if ya got a little bit of coin it might be worth goin the lot i got my extractors hi flow cat and exsaust for under $1000 but i wouldin say it was out of the best materials eather
let us know how you go with it all??

If I was you I wouldn't knock the honeycomb shit out of your cat. I have been told it is up to a $25000 fine. Sure it makes car go better but is it worth a fine potentially that big, think of it as about 10 times the value of a pintara. I beleive a high flow cat is only beneficial to highly tuned engines or engines that have a larger capacity that 2.4ltr.
     When a car blows the exhaust gases out from the engine they a swirling, in a standard cat the honeycomb brick has hundreds of little squares the gases have to find their way through, in a hi flow cat the mesh stuff is in a swirly pattern therefore making it easier for the gases to flow through hence the name hi flow cat.
     If you want to upgrade the cat Noss (I think) did a write up which is probably in the wiki section now, on installing a cat from a magna, I think it was a tj model. They are a bigger cat, flow better (obviously because they are on a bigger engine) and can be got from the wreckers for about $80-$100. Just check that you can see through cat, if you can it is good.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edit: It is also a defect from the rta for pollutuion and excess noise (have to check this one).
     I had a mate who has a substantially modified nissan exa wich had no cat and he was defected for pollution and excess noise.

Edit #2: Here is the link for the magna cat 'conversion':
   http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=4503
« Last Edit: Aug 5, 2007, 12:05PM by Langers_87 »

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Aug 5, 2007, 01:37PM »
how much money you got ?
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #4 on: Aug 5, 2007, 05:20PM »
Do not knock the guts out of the cat. 1 its highly toxic. 2 if caught with a cat with no guts its a huge fine, but for 1-3hp is it worth it ?
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #5 on: Aug 5, 2007, 08:17PM »
pretty sure he is in the states (since he called it stanza).  In which case the cat and emissions regulations may be totally different.  Still I wouldnt bother knocking out the guts, I did it a while back on my old pintara and found it backfired and popped badly.

its as simple as CAI, Exhaust, ECU Chip, and cam.  That should get inside 15sec bracket for about... $1500

Offline gholson

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #6 on: Aug 6, 2007, 10:22AM »
Yeah I live in virginia, in the states, everyone around has gutted cats, I'm pretty sure it's not as big of a deal here as it is there, I know you can get illegal exhaust tickets, in the states, but it's a secondary fine which means they can't pull you over for exhaust only you would have to be breaking another law such as speeding ect. and where could I get a new cam for my car, I've never seen one,

Offline H.M.S. Interceptor

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • the fastest car in the caribbean...
« Reply #7 on: Aug 8, 2007, 12:22AM »
yeah i was looking at a paseo with a 'straight through' exhaust where he had just gutted the actual catalytic converter! no doubt hes still having trouble offloading the thing as it will be expensive to replace, something you should think through before rushing!
until the arrival of the 'black pearl' that is...