Author Topic: Anyone have experience with paintjobs?  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Black_Serenade

• antrx.com junior member
Anyone have experience with paintjobs?
« on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:34AM »
Hey guys. My 96 bluey LX is a bit worse for wear on the paint. she has alot of light scratches from age, and recently has been getting a few small blisters i think they are, looks like the clear coat has bubled off and a faded colour of the paint is left. Also i have a few tiny pin dents around. nothing big u can notice. Im tossing up selling the car and getting a Silvia or a skyline (CAUSE I LIKE THEM NOT FOR THE TREND! LOL) But i dunno if i want to keep my bluey!. If i had the choice i would do up the bluey and keep it, but the engine is getting old now, its done 280,000ks

So. has anyone done a respray of a bluey or a car of comparable size? how much is this going to set me back for a nice shiney blue or silverish colour. I want it to have some shine but it doesnt have to be metallic.  My uncle also has an aircompressor with the spray attachments, and he used to do some spraying but hasnt in years, so that might be another option, but im not sure how it would turn out. How much is paint worth?

Thanks guys

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
Re: Anyone have experience with paintjobs?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2007, 01:00PM »
I'm also interested in prices for 2pack paint,

I will be prepping the car myself and getting someone else to spray it, although prep work plays a big role in how the finished product turns out, so i will hopefully be getting a hand from experianced people.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2007, 04:05PM »
My clear coat is peeling off. I've got a quote of + - $3K for a respray in similar color but I've not gone ahead as I don't think the car is worth a $3K paintwork. Another other colors, I can't imagine the price.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2007, 05:54PM »
well we did all the prep ourselves (me and dad), sanding, filling bogging dent repairs EVERYTHING several times over, and painted it ourselves. my paint was a class 2 or some crap paint (the more expensive ones), and we only did a cheap homejob respray (ie. left out under the bonnet, inside the boot etc) we still got inside doors and everything. the paint cost me 600 or so, plus the other materials would have been extra. The only let down being my dads ancient clear coat had a chemical reaction with the brand new metallic class 2 paint, and it decided to oxidise into white specks all over the car. so it needs to be done again with new clear tehe, cheap fathers  :P
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2007, 06:12PM »

So. has anyone done a respray of a bluey or a car of comparable size? how much is this going to set me back for a nice shiney blue or silverish colour. I want it to have some shine but it doesnt have to be metallic.
    How much is paint worth?

Thanks guys

Paint can be very expensive, say from $500 up to $1000 per ltr. Depends on what you want. For a bluebird I would say 4-5 ltrs depending how much you paint i.e: paint only visible parts.
     I would use two pac/basecoat but acrylic gives a nice finish although it dosn't stand up to chemicals like petrol too well.
 All the miscalaneous bits and pieces will add 500 or so.
At the automotive paint/panel beating supply shop where I worked it was not uncommon for people to spend $2500 for everything they need to do a mettalic respray.

Also different colours have different prices with red's the most expensive and I think blues/greens at the cheaper end of the scale.
 Also some 'mettalics' have a mettalic tinter (generally silver) to make them mettalic while others have a pearl powder which is more expensive. At the shop where I worked we charged $1 a gram, some paints had 40-50 grams in 4 ltrs.

In short it comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what quality of paint.

Offline skitnik

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2007, 12:32AM »
not sure if this is much of help, but white and black are the cheapest to get your car painted in, paints get more expensive, the more it needs to add chemicals or other colours to create that colour, as each colour has its own code, so the more chemicals/colours needed the more $$.

if its a stock nissan colour, visit a local panel beater and ask for quotes and if possible for the colour serial code (not sure if thats what they call it).

Silvia Sisters

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2007, 12:42AM »
black's expensive to paint buddy.

show's every single imperfection known to man  ;)
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2007, 12:49AM »
yup and hard to mix too. unless you're talking about bunnings $2 black paint in a spray can. yeh thats cheap lol.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline harlot

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2007, 12:49AM »
spendy the money... get a kandy

looks perfect!!

;D
Who's a hot chicken!!

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2007, 06:02AM »
I have experience in painting, My mate is a spray painter by trade, so he paints stuff I need painting. I wouldn't atke anyone's word for paint cost's on here. Go to a panel beater and ask how much to suplly the paint. 2, check with spicer hecker. They are a big paint supllier in the smash repair industry.

My mate spray painted his Nissan Patrol and all up it cost him $300. That is from start to finish. Preperation to buffing.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2007, 01:06AM »
spendy the money... get a kandy

looks perfect!!

I've seen some pretty bad candy apple paint jobs... every layer has to be near perfect or you see rippling in the paint.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline CORz4CoNCeRN

• V 2.0 Older, Dumber but a bit FASTER!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2007, 08:49PM »
My Corsair has a "Sapphire Pearl" paintjob...its a blue with green/yellow tinge in the right light. looks luvly in the wet/dry but it shows the pin dents out heaps n it needs a respray..the most expensive part is the paint ( $440-4 litres of 2pac n clear)
So put a bit of elbow grease into the prep..buy a 6 pack of ya fave beer n some winnie reds and get sanding by hand/orbital sander...great workout-just wear a mask n don't smoke too many of them winnies or u mite pass out....
Its hella cheapa to do it y/self..only blow dough for a showroom finish ai!

N no matter how hard u try to keep ur car str8 sum fuckwit always runs a trolley into it at the shops or ur mates magsi antics are guaranteed to fuck up a sweet duco...c@nts!!
Only Cheap Wine Comes in 5 Litres...;-)

Offline Black_Serenade

« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2007, 10:46PM »
My Corsair has a "Sapphire Pearl" paintjob...its a blue with green/yellow tinge in the right light. looks luvly in the wet/dry but it shows the pin dents out heaps n it needs a respray..the most expensive part is the paint ( $440-4 litres of 2pac n clear)
So put a bit of elbow grease into the prep..buy a 6 pack of ya fave beer n some winnie reds and get sanding by hand/orbital sander...great workout-just wear a mask n don't smoke too many of them winnies or u mite pass out....
Its hella cheapa to do it y/self..only blow dough for a showroom finish ai!

N no matter how hard u try to keep ur car str8 sum fuckwit always runs a trolley into it at the shops or ur mates magsi antics are guaranteed to fuck up a sweet duco...c@nts!!

is there any guides for preping your car for painting?? i dont mind doing some work myself, but i dont know what to do and how to go about it.. i guess sanding would be easy enough..  itake it i would need to use very fine sand paper? what about taping stuff off?

Offline FuzzyDropbear

• L26 Boost Junkie
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2007, 12:36AM »

I think you use fine sand paper when you get close to the body, you can start with a coarser paper (I think?). To mask, you can buy large sections of plastic sheeting for larger areas and just tape these down if needed.
« Last Edit: Aug 7, 2007, 11:06PM by FuzzyDropbear »
Datsun boys, we like 'em fast, so we drop 'em low, heavy on the gas!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #14 on: Aug 6, 2007, 04:05PM »
Biggest thing with painting, especially if your doing the prep work yourself is to make sure the area is clean before painting. and i mean it has to be very clean otherwise the paint will stick to the dust and not the car.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Aug 6, 2007, 04:52PM »
Yea, wetting the walls around you before painting is a good idea.

Can we also have abit of care when it comes to spelling, it's shocking.  ::)

Offline H.M.S. Interceptor

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • the fastest car in the caribbean...
« Reply #16 on: Aug 8, 2007, 12:14AM »
im gonna paint my car, well just the bonnet and roof as they are the sections where the paint is stoofed!

any advice about particular paint colours that work well in the hand of a novice?

until the arrival of the 'black pearl' that is...

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #17 on: Aug 8, 2007, 09:17PM »
White :P

Light colours im assuming, anything dark and you run bigger risk.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

« Reply #18 on: Aug 9, 2007, 12:48AM »
oh okay, in a drift battle magazine they said that black was the only colour that turned out well from a spray paint can!? so thats total opposites - ahhh! :o

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #19 on: Aug 9, 2007, 08:33AM »
is there any guides for preping your car for painting?? i dont mind doing some work myself, but i dont know what to do and how to go about it.. i guess sanding would be easy enough..  itake it i would need to use very fine sand paper? what about taping stuff off?

First of all, to grind off the clear coat off Bluey is a pretty big job, especially if there are patches where clear coat is off too. I've tried using a sanding block before and it took me a whole day to do a small patch of the roof. I ended up getting a buffing tool (like a grinder but not quite it), slap on sand paper and started doing wet sanding. Dry sanding clots the sand paper up very quickly. I pretty much took off all clear coat and paint (burgundy). A good tip is to use masking tape to mask off where u don't want to grind. After all these, you've got to start using sanding block to smooth out the surface. Remember to remove all masking tape too each weekend, just in case it doesn't come off. This whole process took me a couple of weekends. The most irritating thing about all this preparation is everytime you sand the car, you've got to wash it if you are going to drive it during weekdays. I did not paint the car myself as I don't have a compressor and spray gun or any experience with spray painting. I took it to the shop, got primer, paint and clear coat sprayed on the bonnet, roof and boot and rear quarter panels for a couple of hundred dollars. Get a few quotations from the shops first before doing anything cos most of them charge you the same amount irregardless of you doing the prep work or not.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 9, 2007, 10:59PM »
oh okay, in a drift battle magazine they said that black was the only colour that turned out well from a spray paint can!? so thats total opposites - ahhh! :o

You might find they were talking about matt black... and even that doesn't turn out well if you're doing a large panel, it's impossible to keep a wet edge going because it just dries too quickly.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline FuzzyDropbear

• L26 Boost Junkie
« Reply #21 on: Aug 9, 2007, 11:09PM »
I agree with Jono and I've found matt black to attract dust and dirt more (that may just be me), very hard to keep clean. My mate is painting his VW beetle matt black.... I personally would stay away from it.. well.. all matt colours, they look shonky (my opinion).
Datsun boys, we like 'em fast, so we drop 'em low, heavy on the gas!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 10, 2007, 12:22AM »
There used to be a matt grey R33 near where I work, it looked quite nice. From a distance it looked like a non-glossy metallic paint, but was just matt grey.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2007, 02:43AM »
okay cool matt black it is

;D

Offline beeber

• new kid on the block
« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2007, 02:23PM »
Paint isn't that expensive, it only gets expensive when you get the pearl/hypercolour, thats when it's $1K/l... otherwise if your lookin at standard colours they'd be around 60-150/l... Covering a car isn't expensive unless you strip it right back and sandblast it. then u need the primer undercoat etc...   The clear is the real winner thats what makes the car shine...  more layers of clear the shinier the car gets. My mates skyline was painted in 27 coats of clear. nice n showroomy... :)

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2007, 09:50PM »
theres a paint shop near me that does standard colour resprays for under 1k...more like $800 my mate got his poulsar done there and it looks fine!
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as