Author Topic: front 6x4 speakers  (Read 2527 times)

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
front 6x4 speakers
« on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:19PM »
i decided the crap front speakers should go. picked up a set of  VDO (by philips) 6x4 because i dont really have the time to mod the setup to hold a different sized speaker.
picked up the speakers for 105 from jb (down from 130)
so far so good!

today i pulled out the door trim to find the old speaker. ripped that out with no dramas.
but then i found the nissan setup was different. AAARGH!!!  :-[   the old speakers have a different sized mount!!!!
i was ready to cry! it'll probably take ages to make my own mount or come up with something else that will stably hold the speaker. i'm wondering whether to bite the bullet and take it to my car audio bloke to install for $  :(
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
Re:front 6x4 speakers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2003, 09:57PM »
nar don't cause it will cost yar !..... go buy some mdf board...19mm thick or there abouts ....cut is out using a  jigsaw to get the right shape( to fit the door trim)... and then using a belt sander angle the mdf so when the speaker is mounted it is angled up toward the roof(there are probably ways of doing that buti had to make do)..... this is also nesscessery for the speaker to fit in the door trim......once ur ready to mount put in a bit of sound deadening stuff(inbetween the mdf and metal door)....if u want (it does help) and also cover the mdf with black carpet (prevents light coloured wood showing through the speaker door trim grill)
(ps to mount the mdf you need drill new screw holes with new screws)

it doesn't take too long max a day ..i can send u measurements of the speaker mounts ...so u dont have to estimate the size (which will also make it quicker)

Offline T-REX

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2003, 11:09AM »
I have a pair of 4x6 phillips 2 ways in my front doors and the only thing I had to do to fit them was drill 4 new holes in the plastic mount.... Piece of piss

And they cost me $90 2 years ago...not bad speakers either

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2003, 01:44PM »

I have a pair of 4x6 phillips 2 ways in my front doors and the only thing I had to do to fit them was drill 4 new holes in the plastic mount.... Piece of piss

yea well i did the same as t-rex in the beginning .....but after i did the parcel shelf in the back ...(the sound difference being huge) i decided the front needed beeeefing up so i built the mounts......it just makes a better sealed unit which provides more bass and volume. and sounds great! ;D
;D ;D ;D