Author Topic: exhaust manifold.....  (Read 2034 times)

Offline petey

• antrx.com junior member
exhaust manifold.....
« on: Apr 3, 2009, 01:43PM »
i have a cracked exhaust manifold...
i went to the wreckers and the dude told me that this is a common problem in pintara's
is he right?
if so what causes them to crack?
thanks in advance

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: exhaust manifold.....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3, 2009, 03:15PM »
A combination of high temps and vibration will cause them to crack. Rapid cooling/heating over many cycles will also contribute.

Their physical weight does not help either, a set of genie extractors i reckon weighs half of what the top half of the OE exhaust manifold is.

Offline petey

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4, 2009, 11:12PM »
ok thanks.... can i weld it up?
because all the wreckers near where i live dont have any ca20 parts and i cant get extractors since u cant have them on your p's
cheers

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 5, 2009, 08:57AM »
If you have had the car longer than the restrictions have been in, just put them on your car, if anyone asks they, were on the car when you got it, that what I did when I was on my p plates.

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Apr 5, 2009, 01:37PM »
And if you want to be tricky, get the stock exhaust cover modified to make it fit the extractors, then say that's how you got it.  ;D
nothing.

Offline petey

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2009, 09:41AM »
thanks for all the help  :)
iv had the car for about 7 months and im pretty much a noob to engine mods lol... so it will be a pain in the ass to make a custom cover for extractors....
i went to a wreckers at morwell and i bought a new exhaust maniflod for $80 and it was out of a corsiar that had only done 70,000 kms
so i think i did ok lol... they even threw in a free amp and equaliser  ;D

now the only problem is that im not quite sure how to put it in the car and remove the old one.... but i have a fair idea tho...
its just bolted on isnt it?

cheers

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2009, 01:39PM »
yeah, just bolt it in. by the way, way can't you have extractors while on your P's?

Is it a new law or something? coz when I was on my P's all I had to do was not exceed 150kw per ton, and not drive a turbo. I could do any mods I wanted as long as it didn't exceed those limits. Unless it is for insurance reasons.
nothing.

Offline petey

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2009, 02:18PM »
ok thanks will do it this arvo and let u know how i went.....
i asked vic roads the other week and they told me i cannot have any performance mods at all
because of the new red p plates laws but im not sure what the laws accually are because they didnt explain in enough detail....
but im going back to vic roads on wednesday so ill ask then for a copy of the laws and ill scan and post them...

cheers