Author Topic: Amp placement  (Read 2856 times)

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
Amp placement
« on: Jan 21, 2006, 05:14PM »
Just trying to work out where to place my amp for my front stage splits (only a 2 channel amp).  should i

a) mount underneath the seat
b) mount in the boot (next to my other 2 channel amp of a different brand)
c) mount elsewhere in the boot away from the other amp
d) somewhere you can suggest

thanks
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: Amp placement
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2006, 05:45PM »
Personally I'd mount it under the front seat on the side that the power cable runs. You can tap into the power cable and run some RCAs around the footwell, down with the power cable and to the amp, and with the RCAs run 2 lengths of speaker cable and a remote wire too.

So, you have power from the main wire on the side of the car, and RCAs, speaker wire and remote wire from the head unit to the amp.

Connect the speaker wire to the existing speaker wires behind the head unit and tape off the head unit outputs and the rest is pretty simple, just match up the colours basically.

To tap into the power wire you could use a terminal block or you could strip back some insulation, wrap the new wire around the old wire and use a pencil blowtorch or a small blowtorch to heat the wire and solder it. Just keep feeding solder into the wire until it starts forming droplets coming off the wires. Oh and put a chunk of thick wood (12mm MDF or something) under where you're soldering so you don't burn anything important.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2006, 12:02PM »
thats exactly what I've done for my front speakers. Thats exactly what i'd also recommend. otherwise you've got to fuck around trying to get speaker wires to and from the boot. the amp also stays nice and cool if you have air-con.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2006, 01:37PM »
I put my amp under the front seat. I ran new speaker cables to the doors (instead of via the head unit). And ran the a cable to the boot for the sub.

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2006, 10:08PM »
did you have to remove your whole seat to get the amp securely mounted?  thats my real issue, cos it seems like a tonne of effort..

and how about tuning the amp?  how can you squeeze your head under the seat and tune it properly?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2006, 11:02PM »
If you want to do it under the seat the idea would be to take the seat out, wire it up, tune it, secure it, install seat and enjoy.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2006, 11:14PM »
lol it's piss easy to take the seat out.. 2 bolts maaateee

And then u just take the plate off the side door off (screws), lift the carpet back, and pass the cables through that, thats how i did it with my brothers car
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2006, 11:20PM »
i would think theres four bolts...but ive never pulled a u12 apart only my old pulsar so could be different.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2006, 11:23PM »
4 bolts actually :P bah Kranzy beat me to it.

It depends where the controls on your amp are as to how easy it is to tune with the seat in. If they're on the face of the amp, or on the side facing the centre console or side of the car it'll be hard to see what you're doing, but if they're to the front or the back of the car it's easy as.

It's alot easier to take the seat out than it is to work under it. Kranzy is spot on.

Re securing the amp: just use some screws long enough to go through the metal floorpan of the car.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:53PM »
removing the sear is the ONLY way really, the other thing no one has metioned (i dont think) is that it is a hell of a lot hard to pull out, ie: if some one was to break into your car, its a lot harder to be a ble to flog, and what stupid thief would be dumb enough to go to the trouble of ripping out the seat?

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:55PM »
fair enough...  doesn't sound too bad then, and safer

under the passenger chair it is...

makes me think i should put both my 2 channel amps under the seats then, all for the sake of security. it makes sense

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:05PM »
my amp isn't screwed into the floor. i just made the power cables short enough so it can't move, i still took the seat out to install it. much easier. I just set mine crossovers to bypass and i can adjust all the settings with the head unit. really it depends if you've got a functional head unit or not.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:10PM »
But that's the difference between you and perfectionists like us, Rathies  :P
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:12PM »
its always better to tune via the amp, and use the headunit for fine tuning

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:12PM »
haha, welcome to the entry level headunit!

considering they're for the splits, there is very little fuss involved.  just some basic tuning with the gain

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2006, 09:17PM »
But that's the difference between you and perfectionists like us, Rathies  :P

Eclipse mate. FYI I've had 2 major phenomenons in the last 2 days. yesterday i made my front speakers smoke by turning them up too loud and today the speaker grilles blew off the front when i cranked em up once again. All with zero distortion. tuned baby! (yes my head unit has cross-overs)
Smoking is bad for your voice coils. call quit on 13 18 48
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2006, 09:20PM by rathies »