Author Topic: Car Audio  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Anasyn

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
Car Audio
« on: Nov 29, 2005, 04:15PM »
anyone know any GOOD budget audio componants? looking for a decent (mp3) head unit, amp and speakers? anyone have any idea, and can 6x9's fit into a corsair?

Offline DAN

• antrx.com junkie
Re: Car Audio
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 04:22PM »
please prepare to be moved to the car audio section.

but to answer your questions anything can fit with the right persuastion on way is to cut the parcel shelf steel this is illegal but many people do it anyway or you can make up rings or use boxs or make your own wooden shelf that sits higher the list is endless.

and you will always get what you pay for get supper cheap recieve supper cheap.

so for anyone to help you out properly you need to answer us a few questions

1 how much money is the budget
2 how good are you at diy (what can you do if anything)
3 are you planing to do a good proper job and dont have the cash as in do you plan on makeing a good system if so only buy one set of good speakers and a head deck than save for an amp or more speakers.

hope this helps

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 05:53PM »
yeah, as Dan said, u pretty much get wot u pay for...

....having said that, ppl here swear by "Jaycar" stuff and apparently they're pretty good stuff for not many $$$$ at all. JBL also has good budget speakers.

as fo the mp3 h/u, u should be able to pick up a clean Pioneer one for about $150

good luck man, happy listening!
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:23PM »
yeah, as Dan said, u pretty much get wot u pay for...

....having said that, ppl here swear by "Jaycar" stuff and apparently they're pretty good stuff for not many $$$$ at all.
good luck man, happy listening!

definately 'big bang for your buck' but the amps tend to give off engine noise, something a good quality amp would not.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Anasyn

• new kid on the block
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:08PM »
ok thanx guys

Offline DAN

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2005, 07:20PM »
if you want my opinion get a good head unit arround the 150 to 250 mark and get one set of good quality splits for the front and thats it than save up for an amp and rear fill.

remember that you want most of the sound up front and haveing good quality splits amped or not will sound much better than loud noise witch is what alot of people i know of have when they buy crap.

i got myself a pair of 120 watt rms 6 1/2 inch mbquart splits these are hand made german speakers nothing overly fancy not competetion or anything but they sound good and when i finally saved enough money to give them the power they needed they sounded good realy realy loud they start to distourt at sound levels that are just not comfortable to listin to any way cause you get sore ears.  while many of my friends have cheap $70 pioneer speakers that start to distort so early and are unclear that dont play enough of the sound spectrum.

it took some time but now i have mb quart plits up front mb quart 6x9 for the rear jvc head deck 12" kicker sub a 480 watt amp and a 800watt amp i didnt go all out on the sub like i did with the speakers cause i found that the speakers did a good job of most of the bass and only needed a hand at low levels.

Offline Anasyn

• new kid on the block
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:08PM »
heheh, the thing is, the speakers i have atm in the rear (stock) crackle and pop all the time, i cant really have it up anywhere near as louds as i want so i can hear it with the windows down which sucks ass

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:33PM »
so update the front end of the system and take the rears out till you can afford to upgrade the rears.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Anasyn

• new kid on the block
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:41PM »
good idea
i think i might jsut do that

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:44PM »
At the moment i dont have any rear speakers in my setup...im never sitting in the back seat so it doesnt bother me. When i have the money ill be bying another amp and a set of splits for the rear.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:15PM »
same with me, i had splits in the front and the back, but i moved the rear ones to the front and it sound good now!!

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:26PM »
Well, if you want to see a budget system, mine cost about $300 for the whole lot:

$100 2nd hand Pioneer MP3 head unit
$35 2nd hand Panasonic 6.5" 2-ways in the back parcel shelf (don't buy these, they've got no bass)
$0 2nd hand Pioneer 6.5" twin-cone speakers in the front doors (from my corsair wreck)
$6 pair of mylar tweeters from Jaycar (sound as good as the $30 sets in Strathfield, but without the case)
$73 Solid Audio ~100W 2ch amp from JB HiFi
$25 10" Power Acoustik sub from JB
$52 8ga wiring kit

$291 for the lot, which sounds way better IMO than the stock sound system in a mate's BA Falcon.

And I'm very happy with the sound I get out of it. I need another amp though for the fronts, 4ohm tweeters and 4ohm full-ranges running in parallel doesn't make for a happy head unit ::)

Shop around for your stuff, I find JB HiFi have some great specials on from time to time, and an Autobarn near me has had some crazy midnight sales I've heard of the day after they happened  :'(

And, surprisingly, I have no trouble with engine noise from the amp after grounding the RCAs at the head unit. Apparently Pioneer head units have dodgy grounds on the RCAs in their head units.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2005, 10:29PM by Jono »
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:32PM »
Depends on the unit...I've never had any problems whatsoever with engine noise...mind you my headunit cost me 1400 on special down from 2000.

Mind you its one of those things....you get what you pay for. I realise that a unit like that is out of most peoples price range but you can find decent units at lower costs that will do the job just fine. Talk to SSStick as hes in that game now and could probably point you in the direction of some good units.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2005, 10:34PM by Kranzy »

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:09PM »
Thats right Kranzy, the top end pioneer units are much better than the bottom end gear, for a cheap deck, that are a good package, look at the Kenwood KDC233 - they go for around the $150 mark, its just a matter of shopping around and getting the best price

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan