Author Topic: wat sub to get?  (Read 7928 times)

Offline CS2rex

• antrx.com full member
  • formerly mark_sss
wat sub to get?
« on: Sep 12, 2006, 04:21PM »
hey guys, im transferring the sound system from the bluebird to the rex on thursday, but i had an accident with my hertz sub, it was hit by something that came loose in the boot, and the cone in the middle of the speaker has disconnected itself from the speaker(learnt this from being told to push it in in Sub Damage thread). the advice i got at autobahn is that the clarion 15inch 750/800rms sub will work best off my 600w clarion amp, anyone agree? disagree? also, just wondering if it will it lag? any help = much appreciated

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: wat sub to get?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2006, 07:20PM »
personally, im not a fan of 15s, until i got mine. the thing with 15s is they need a heap of power to get them sounding good

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline nickstrx

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2006, 11:52PM »
my mates got a JL 15inch, it goes hard

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:55AM »
Personally I would recommend a JL or Eclipse sub, and a 12 over a 15. But it just depends what you want from it. I like the quality over the quantity, but if you are just going for loud your choice could be a bit different.

I would also be going to a few audio places and definitely not basing my choice on opinions from autobahn.

Not knowing where you are based, but if you were in perth I would recommend somewhere like alberts car stereo, or any other place that sells more than just sony, pioneer and kenwood.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:12PM »
I'd also recommend getting a JL sub. IMO, 15" (no matter what the brand) in pretty much any car is overkill. A couple of me mates have a 12" W3 in their boot and it fcuken pumps!

if interested, another of me mates has one (12" JL W3) just sitting in his spare room collecting dust. I'd buy it off him, but gotta cart stuff around in me boot (mtb bike and scuba stuff). If you're interested - or anyone else - left me know and i'll see what price he wants for it. I dare-say fair cheapish as its just an oversized paper weight for him atm.
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2006, 10:27PM »
Get a footlong Melt, with swiss and double meat... honey mustard and mayo... goes down really nice.  ;D
OH and a double choc chip cookie

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2006, 11:03PM »
hey guys, im transferring the sound system from the bluebird to the rex on thursday, but i had an accident with my hertz sub, it was hit by something that came loose in the boot, and the cone in the middle of the speaker has disconnected itself from the speaker(learnt this from being told to push it in in Sub Damage thread). the advice i got at autobahn is that the clarion 15inch 750/800rms sub will work best off my 600w clarion amp, anyone agree? disagree? also, just wondering if it will it lag? any help = much appreciated

You had a Hertz which are really good quality shit, so why not go back down the same line and get another.

Altho,

DD are the best subs you can get if you are willing to pay for them. (And yes guys they have the world records to prove it).

So i say, go a DD and you will neva look back.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2006, 11:09PM by ashman01 »

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2006, 11:08PM »
Also do not ask a place like, autobarn, supercheap, JB-HiFi or straitfeild for advice becuase 9 times out of 10 the guy your asking doesnt know what they are talking about. My friend used to work in car stereo at both autobarn and JB and he new nothing about car stereo exept what the reps told him about the stuff.

Go to an accual car audio place like an accual car audio shop that has there own show car and knows what they are talking about.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2006, 11:16PM »
Go to an accual car audio place like an accual car audio shop that has there own show car and knows what they are talking about.

Strathfield has its own Voyager decked out with Pioneer gear, full ICE system, cameras, sensors, tracking system...

Autobarn has their Supra...

All car audio places have demo cars, even if they're the employees' personal cars. And some of the employees know what they're talking about, the best way to know if you're talking to one of them is to know your stuff and you'll pick up subtle hints from them whether or not they actually know what they're selling.

DD are the best subs you can get if you are willing to pay for them. (And yes guys they have the world records to prove it).

I'll bite... what world records do they hold? And what if I'm after a SQ sub, would I be better off with a DD?

I say go around to as many car audio places as you can find and listen to as many subs as you can, and base your choice only on the sound of the sub, its suitability to your car (box size etc), and the price of it.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Cru1se_Missle

• The AWD guinea pig
  • r&d team
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Oh what a feeling.........ATTESA
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2006, 11:46PM »
Basically you dont want a sub that'll be too heavy and being a rex, you'd wanna keep it as light as possible.
All subs have different volume requirements, so look for one that has minimal size.
What is the impedance rating off your amp? is it 1/2 ohm stable? is it not?
Do you want DVC or SVC?
Set yourself a budget and stick to it.
Tally whacker is a rock hard storm trooper with a purple helmet, made for crushing pink cookies
Gooni Goo Goo

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2006, 11:05AM »
Why not just get your sub repaired?  Re-cones are not terribly expensive.
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2006, 09:27PM »
Strathfield has its own Voyager decked out with Pioneer gear, full ICE system, cameras, sensors, tracking system...

Autobarn has their Supra...

All car audio places have demo cars, even if they're the employees' personal cars. And some of the employees know what they're talking about, the best way to know if you're talking to one of them is to know your stuff and you'll pick up subtle hints from them whether or not they actually know what they're selling.

I'll bite... what world records do they hold? And what if I'm after a SQ sub, would I be better off with a DD?

I say go around to as many car audio places as you can find and listen to as many subs as you can, and base your choice only on the sound of the sub, its suitability to your car (box size etc), and the price of it.

I was generalising. Also there show cars are that. Show cars. They havent won Any "real" awards that i have heard of. As for DD. They are a *Big bass* sub not a sq sub. they have most of the world records for big number. The guy at car tunez where i bought my speakers owns the car that has the australian record for the loudest car and he uses 2 DD 15s. He also thinks mtx's are shit and he would never sell them. go here for more info on dd http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php?act=idx .

But there are better subs for sq but no better for bass.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2006, 02:10AM »
I think you have the word 'bass' confused with 'SPL'  ;) Just because it's the loudest doesn't mean it's the best.

Just because he thinks MTX is shit doesn't mean it is. I happen to quite like MTX's gear. I'll have to give you a listen to some TXC6.1s when I get them for my car :)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline omad

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2006, 03:17AM »
I think you have the word 'bass' confused with 'SPL'  ;) Just because it's the loudest doesn't mean it's the best.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2006, 11:21PM »

Just because he thinks MTX is shit doesn't mean it is. I happen to quite like MTX's gear. I'll have to give you a listen to some TXC6.1s when I get them for my car :)

Sorry, i ment loudest. When it comes to DB, DD are the record holders but as for sound quality.... i dont no. I dont like MTX personaly but i have no experience with them, im just repeating what an extremly experienced audiophile has told me.

Offline Charger

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2006, 12:36PM »
Lower end MTX is complete crap. The only woofer I would take from MTX is their 9500 series. They can stick their Jackhammer and their RFL.  DD will always be better than MTX though, for the people who say DD can't sound good, you obviously haven't heard one in a decent enclosure.

Offline CS2rex

• antrx.com full member
  • formerly mark_sss
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2006, 05:31PM »
You had a Hertz which are really good quality shit, so why not go back down the same line and get another.

u smart man, thats wat i did. i bought anohter hertz sub.

Sorry, i ment loudest. When it comes to DB, DD are the record holders but as for sound quality.... i dont no. I dont like MTX personaly but i have no experience with them, im just repeating what an extremly experienced audiophile has told me.

dont wanna be rude but how can u not like something when u have no experience with it

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2006, 10:42PM »

dont wanna be rude but how can u not like something when u have no experience with it

Exactly right Mark, it shits me to no end when people come into my store and say i want some new speakers, but not "X" brand speakers, cos my mate said they are shit, any one with that sort of mind set is a tool.

DD arent the bees knees, in fact, ash, when you say that DD holds the work record for "loudness"  :-*, Pioneer actually hold that record...180.9Db, and it could go louder, but because they are creating so much pressure in a small area, they are creating condensation...

Also do not ask a place like, autobarn, supercheap, JB-HiFi or straitfeild for advice becuase 9 times out of 10 the guy your asking doesnt know what they are talking about.

Have you been to EVERY one of those stores, and spoken to EVERY salesperson? i doubt it, before making stupid comments like that, get some proof to backup your bullshit.

Lower end MTX is complete crap. The only woofer I would take from MTX is their 9500 series. They can stick their Jackhammer and their RFL.

The 9500s are a very nice sounding woofer...i should know!, although if you have heard a 7500 series woofer, i think you would be quite supprised at how nice they do sound, and for half the price of a 9500. The Jackhammer woofers all all show really, not designed as a everyday product. The RFLs were designed specifically for SPL, hence the name RFL - Real Fucking Loud

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2006, 11:08PM »

Im weird when it comes to that. I can not like a brand simply because in my head i think they are crap. I said that in another post i think. I do it with people to, i have never accualy have been introduced to them yet for some reason i dont like some people. Im abit weird. Also, i didnt say MTX were crap, i just said i didnt like them as a brand, not a speaker.

If that makes sence then tell me please because reading it back to myself, i cant understand it.

Also those hertz subs go hard. Friend has hertz 15" and hurtz 3 way splits and they are both very nice. Good choice

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2006, 11:25PM »
DD arent the bees knees, in fact, ash, when you say that DD holds the work record for "loudness"  :-*, Pioneer actually hold that record...180.9Db, and it could go louder, but because they are creating so much pressure in a small area, they are creating condensation...

Have you been to EVERY one of those stores, and spoken to EVERY salesperson? i doubt it, before making stupid comments like that, get some proof to backup your bullshit.

Didnt take long for us to but heads again did it.

For the first thing: Proof? where was this conducted? was it even in a car? ect. Not saying youe not right, (cause you probably are) but fair go.

secondly: No i havent been into to talk to every single sales person at chain stores across the country to see weather they know there stuff because you dont have to.

First a question for you stick. Have you indervidualy tested every single different brand and type of speaker/sub/amp that you have for sale in real car situation to see how good/clear/crisp/bassy it sounds before you recomend it to someone?

If yes then i would have to beleive your a lier. If no then how can u possibly be 100% sure of what you are talking about when you recomend something over somthing eles.

Lastly, how can people who work at chain stores like yours ever know what really good is if they are limited to what the store will accualy supply? I recomend you buy these mtx's because they are the best thing you can buy at "Insert cheap big chain car audio name here* even though X brand is better but we dont stock them and i have to make my quota so i wont tell you that so you will buy this second rate stuff that has a massive mark up.

For the record i can be an idiot. I know very little about car audio. Have never worked in a shop that has/sells car audio and all my knowlage has been from friends in the business. I recomend listening to stick cuz he knows far more about car audio than i do but he can be alittle bias as we all can be to.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2006, 12:10AM »

For the first thing: Proof? where was this conducted? was it even in a car? ect. Not saying youe not right, (cause you probably are) but fair go.

Sorry, My mistake it was 180.5db, and was done using all pioneer products, this is currently the WORLD RECORD.

secondly: No i havent been into to talk to every single sales person at chain stores across the country to see weather they know there stuff because you dont have to.

But you just assume that none of them know anything? thats just stupid man, and most of the time, there is one person at anyone time in a chain store that will have a huge knowledge base of product and audio, wether it be a sales person or a installer.

First a question for you stick. Have you indervidualy tested every single different brand and type of speaker/sub/amp that you have for sale in real car situation to see how good/clear/crisp/bassy it sounds before you recomend it to someone?

if you are asking if i have tested all the product in my store, then i can say yes, and that is where i draw as to what to recommend to a customer, but if you are talking about every product available on the market, then that is a definate no, i think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who could say yes to that. When i recommend something for a customer, there a many factors involved in that decision, i dont have a set brand which i try and sell.

Lastly, how can people who work at chain stores like yours ever know what really good is if they are limited to what the store will accualy supply? I recomend you buy these mtx's because they are the best thing you can buy at "Insert cheap big chain car audio name here* even though X brand is better but we dont stock them and i have to make my quota so i wont tell you that so you will buy this second rate stuff that has a massive mark up.

Its not about making a "quota" as you say, if a customer comes into my store, they are there to buy something, you then go about finding out what they want, and if you dont have what they want, they will go else where, i dont know about you, bu if i went to but something that i wanted, and was offered a crappy variant of that product, theres no way i would, and its stupid for you to assume that people are going to do that.

Also, ill ask you that question about your "mate" from car tunez, how can he know what is good if he is limited to what he can supply? has he heard every product on the market? i dont think so.

For the record i can be an idiot. I know very little about car audio. Have never worked in a shop that has/sells car audio and all my knowlage has been from friends in the business. I recomend listening to stick cuz he knows far more about car audio than i do but he can be alittle bias as we all can be to.

I dont come on here to sell shit, i give my two cents and if people have an objection to that, thats cool, everyone has their own opinions.

Offline omad

« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2006, 04:00AM »
Lower end MTX is complete crap. The only woofer I would take from MTX is their 9500 series. They can stick their Jackhammer and their RFL.  DD will always be better than MTX though, for the people who say DD can't sound good, you obviously haven't heard one in a decent enclosure.

And you obviously haven't been exposed to anything else or heard a variety of subs in different enclosures.

An "audiophile" told you that DD are the best and MTX are crap, but you don't know if the SQ on the DD's are any good? Do you know the meaning of audiophile? How can someone be an audiophile with no grasp of sound quality?

Exactly right Mark, it shits me to no end when people come into my store and say i want some new speakers, but not "X" brand speakers, cos my mate said they are shit, any one with that sort of mind set is a tool.

I do this quite often. I give my honest opinions on brands, sometimes to their product lines ie: recommend some brands speakers but not head units etc. But for most I just keep it simple and tell them to steer clear of certain brands. Some brands I  just don't like, but I'll tell them that. Not that they are crap but they aren't my fav. brand but they are OK etc. It's just easier to do it that way to try and help someone out that doesn't know what they are doing. Otherwise they get talked into any old thing and just buy some crappy stuff because they were told that's what they needed or that it's all the same or whatever other crap the salesperson wants to speil to them. (no offence, and not directed at anyone. There are nasty salespeople everywhere and I've had my share of them ;))

I haven't seen EVERY commodore driver in EVERY city in ALL conditions, but it's still easy to make assumptions on how they drive and also to be more wary of them. Which, in a lot of situations, has been for the better. Everywhere you go there are people that don't know anything and there are others that do. Sometimes you get good people in chain outlets and sometimes you get complete idiots in specialty shops. But generally the people in chain outlets are pretty clueless and are simply salespeople. There to sell you a product. The people in the specialty shops tend to know a bit more and are sometimes more honest about the whole picture.

Though what was said about selling what you have in the store is very true. Hell, if I was in an audiocom or strathfield as a salesperson, I'd do the same thing! But I'd still come on here and write off some brands and shop at alberts and have different gear in my car.

In the end it's really down to the end user. If they want basic, they'll get it. If the want cheap, they ususally get crap. I just usually presume that if you go to the extent of asking for opinions on a forum such as this that you're a bit more serious about getting good information and about finding out about some more of the ins and outs of car audio. I will never recommend a system simply because it's my favourite brand, or because it's dirt cheap, or because it's the best of the best. Every person has different requirements and the sooner that person figures out what that is, the easier it is to point to what they want :)  A lot of people just don't realise how much choice and difference there is in the range, and what the end effects are on your ears. Most take the same path, including me. And I'm STILL learning!!
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2006, 10:53AM »
Come on

Owens became the first person in the world to break the 180dB barrier using 13 Pioneer Premier® TS-W5000SPL subwoofers powered by 52 Premier PRS-D5000SPL amplifiers, deeming his 2002 Ford® F-250 “The loudest car in the world”.

Thats just not fair. If anyone could afford 13 dd subs and 52 amps to run them.........Using dd subs and amps sound cost 267000$ not including wiring, setup, power and the car.

But i admit i was wrong. Pioneer premior holds the record for the loudest (in stupid ways) car.

Offline omad

« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2006, 01:30PM »
Come on

Thats just not fair. If anyone could afford 13 dd subs and 52 amps to run them.........Using dd subs and amps sound cost 267000$ not including wiring, setup, power and the car.

But i admit i was wrong. Pioneer premior holds the record for the loudest (in stupid ways) car.

Just admit it and move on without making excuses. ANY car that's making 180+ dB is going to be doing it in crazy excess of sound.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Dano Da Bomb

• Antrx Steriod Squrell
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Your friendly local porn star
    • Pringlesisgay.org
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2006, 08:36PM »
Meanwhile back on the ranch..........

It all comes down to what you can afford if you want kick ass bass get a 15inch if you want great bass 12. But everyone has there own opinon the best thing it to talk to the guys who install stereos they would know better than anyone how the speakers go.

Ka-bluey smells
Pringles loves men

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #25 on: Sep 18, 2006, 11:01PM »
Meanwhile back on the ranch..........

It all comes down to what you can afford if you want kick ass bass get a 15inch if you want great bass 12. But everyone has there own opinon the best thing it to talk to the guys who install stereos they would know better than anyone how the speakers go.

Ka-bluey smells

Um that doesnt make much of a difference at all. Given that the cross sectional area of the cone adds a db or 2, the size doesnt mean a thing. There are cheap 15"'s and expensive 10's. I was looking at DDphils 2 10inch DD's today and they are 3000rms each costing 1400$ each. Its all to do with space. Got room and want a WOW factor then go a 15" but if you have less room (or still want some boot) then get a 10/12.

Offline nismoboi

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2006, 11:02PM »
ive gota 15 inch sony xplod the hexagonal 1 and it pumps pretty hard.
one of the best sounding 12 inch subs ive heard is my mates 12 inch square kicker it pumps pretty hard. i dont know wot u guys think of them.

question.
my 15 is only in a 12 inch sealed box would i get better sound out of it in a 15 inch box ???

Offline Cru1se_Missle

• The AWD guinea pig
  • r&d team
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Oh what a feeling.........ATTESA
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2006, 11:29PM »
If you guys are after spl then look no further than the Cerwin Vega Stroker Pro. 15
It just ends all debates.

Period.
Tally whacker is a rock hard storm trooper with a purple helmet, made for crushing pink cookies
Gooni Goo Goo

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 20, 2006, 12:22AM »
SPL is for wankers  :-*

I have a couple of old Soundstream Exact 10" subs in my car and I have yet to hear a better all-round sub.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #29 on: Sep 20, 2006, 01:07AM »
SPL is for wankers  :-*

I have a couple of old Soundstream Exact 10" subs in my car and I have yet to hear a better all-round sub.

Sif, having a chick get off on ur boot lid is not for wankers. Yes it has been done.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #30 on: Sep 20, 2006, 01:24AM »
Sif, having a chick get off on ur boot lid is not for wankers. Yes it has been done.

My point exactly: consider said vibrating boot lid a makeshift sex toy, and said chick using said sex toy is then wanking using said sex toy... hence SPL being for wankers. ;D

Oh and my SoundStreams have enough kick in them to excite females too :P
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!