Author Topic: 6x4's any good?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
6x4's any good?
« on: May 21, 2006, 01:13PM »
Im selling my Pintara in november when the rego runs out to my cousin and i hopefully will be upgrading to my original car that i wanted to buy a VS Commodore calais,But dont worry ill be still on the forum you'll just have to welcome a commodore into the family :)

But to my question ill be pulling my system out and putting back in a mediocore sound system so my cousin isn't left with just holes and a gaping hole in the dash.....ill be leaving the head unit.....not a cheap one at that 575$ retail kenwood one.

But ill be removing my front's,back's amp sub amp and sub's and leaving my cousin with the head unit and a set of 6x4's for the front which im yet to purchase and a set of 6.5's for the back.

How do 6x4's perform does anybody know? i know there the stock speaker size that the u12 pintara came out with for the fronts but ill be purchasing a set of boston acoustic 6x4's the guy said he;d do them for 100$ he has to order them and he tells me there used in jeep cherokees and chevrolets as stock components.The reason im going back to the 6x4's is because when i had the fusion 6.5's at the front i couldn't  put the plastic cover back on top so it lookd pretty ugly..

reckon i should buy them??? i know its only 100$ but ive always wondered if 6x4's performed any good...so i wouldn't mind some of your opinions or knowledge on them

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
Re: 6x4's any good?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 06:47PM »
first of all, 6x$'s have nothign wrong with them, the front speakers will be putting out mostly treble, so you dont NEED a big speaker in the front...
secondly, boston's are a REALLY (i stress really) good speaker, and for 100 bucks, you cant go wrong...

i currently use 6x4's at the front's beocause my budget wont stretch far for a full system make over (just yet  ;)) and for what they are, they sound pretty good... ask a few asshats i usually see regularly (TRXJon, TReX, Asephx, NeVeTS  etc....)
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 07:09PM »
Yeah i know what your saying about bostons my brother has his vl commodore kitted out with all boston acoustic items

His system thumps...i'd recommend as you pretty much have boston acoustic to anyone.

The bostons come in tommorow so ill probably go down and have a geeza at em

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 09:47PM »
also have a look at some JBL 4x6's,  just as good as the bostons, adn about the same price

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Timbo

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2006, 09:53AM »
i have just bought myself a set of JBL 6x4's and must say i have been pretty happy with them, what is the general perception on the quality of the JBL 6x4's??

Would a cheap sub amp deal be worthwile or is most cheap car sound equiptment just nasty?

cheers

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2006, 11:49AM »
Nasty...
1993 U13 Bluebird

Powered by Alpine Electronics and D2 Racing Suspension

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2006, 12:21AM »
Nasty...

im with him, dont waste your monies

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2006, 10:33PM »
Yeah, there is a huge difference between the cheap and nasty crap and the good quality gear, I just upgraded from a $25 10" sub to a couple of good quality 10"s and yeah... even with just one running it sounds sooo much better. I'm a bit disappointed I wasted the money on the cheap stuff in the first place.

Now I've just got to upgrade my amp, and the front speakers, and deaden my doors, and boot....
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2006, 10:13PM »
Just wondering if anyone hads heard of VDO speakers....i saw some at a jb hi-fi sale and wondering if they anygood for $120?

Soz to kinda hi-jack thread mate

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2006, 10:17PM »
VDO is just rebadged philips, they are ok, but depending on the speaker, $120 is bloody expensive

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:27PM »
Yeah they're a fairly average brand. And I wouldn't pay $120 for them.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:34PM »
if they're in jb hifi with the arse cut out of the price its obivously becuase no one else wants to buy it. doesn't that answer your query?
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:00PM »
Well I've had to wait a week for them to get some in cos they selling them all....guess I'll buy 'em and we'll find out what the quality is like hey...consider me a guinea pig  :D

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:28PM »
generic 6in pioneer/alpines mounted on mdf will sound 100x better then 6x4's mounted in the stock plastic cradle crap. Cheaper too.

first of all, 6x$'s have nothign wrong with them, the front speakers will be putting out mostly treble, so you dont NEED a big speaker in the front...

Actually midbass as well as highs is what the front end is all about, and as most people by now should know is that the front stage is where it's all at.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2006, 10:31PM by bungs »

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #14 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:28PM »
you could always use them to hang tools from the frige if they're no good.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:44PM »
Actually midbass as well as highs is what the front end is all about, and as most people by now should know is that the front stage is where it's all at.

thats why splits are so popular