Author Topic: powerchips  (Read 4320 times)

trxadelaide

powerchips
« on: Sep 15, 2003, 04:33PM »
I just recieved an email from powerchip claiming that i was the lucky winner of a $200 discount on a gold98chip. i rekon there being a bit devious though.. Has anyone else been offered this?? They claim that one lucky person each week gets this prize??
anyway.. i was thinking about getting one and was wondering if anyone has actually got one installed in their car. If so, how do you find them to perform? Is there anything better anyone can reccomend?? e.g. teamnse chip????

your thoughts would b much appreciated!!

cheers!

shaunk

Re:powerchips
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2003, 05:28PM »
I had one in my ca20e and I must say that I was disappointed.

Going on their estimates, my car should've put out about 100kW.  I find that hard to believe.

I wouldn't take their performance figures for granted as none of them are actually proven on a dyno, they are all done using "computer simulations"

The difference was noticeable, just not what I thought it would be.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2003, 05:36PM »
For about $200 less than what a Gold98 powerchip was worth, i got mine & noss's programmable SMT6 for $550.

trxadelaide

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2003, 05:41PM »
SVDU12: Cheers 4 the info dude!

SSSGTR: thats a hella good price!! and would u say that the SMC is a far better chip than the gld 98??

could u feel it had a fair bit more grunt than b4 u had it installed!! ???

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2003, 06:25PM »
The SMT6 is not a chip, it is a piggyback programmable ECU around 500 times better than a Unichip. I don't need any other form of ECU upgrades to run my turbo setup either.
It is tuned via a laptop, and I haven't tuned it yet due to generally having no time. I have taken a bit of fuel at wide open throttle in the higher rev range to pick up some power, but haven't had it on the dyno yet.
i will be getting a wideband O2 setup for tuning purposes sometime soon, and i will be asking about $40 an hour to tune such a computer or standalone ECU on the road.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2003, 07:05PM »
what's the average time it'd take you to tune it?
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2003, 07:51PM »
Wide open throttle, about 15mins to get mixtures right; for NA around 13-13.3:1 air/fuel ratio and for turbo around 12-12.5:1.
Part throttle is a different matter and can take an hour or more.
It's best to do most of this on a dyno, but can be done on road.

Offline MR.TRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • MMMMMM..... TRX...!!!
    • Mr.TRX
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2003, 10:43PM »
got the same e-mail  but ive sold my car.. :'(
I'M ONLY 2 PEOPLE SHORT OF A THREESOME!!!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2003, 01:24AM »
put one in the verada mr trx!

also, for the point of this thread, we;ll say that i was running (actually still am until i install my smt6) a powerchip.. all it seemed to do for me is remove the annoying flatspot.. power seemed unchanged. not worth the money.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2003, 05:15PM »
I got the same email twice now.  I'm kind of dodgy on chips actually.  I didnt really want to fork out money for a computer bit to take out flat spots and do nothing.  

Still, that $200 off brings our Powerchips down to $290 for a Gold98, might be a goer at the cheaper price tho.
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

trxadelaide

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2003, 07:04PM »
i was actually considering getting the silver chip because I didn
't want 2 run my pinny on premium unleaded all of the time. Sometimes when petrol is really expensive i stick in reg unleaded. If i got the gold98 i would always have 2 run the premium. Like u said tho dude.. 200 dollars off has got me thinking...

I rekon there a bit dodgy at powerchip if they send that email 2 just about everyone!!!

Offline Adam J-TRX

« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2003, 08:25PM »
I was searching around for a post I made ages ago about teamnse performance chips I sell. A few people around here have them in their car, including me. The chip does exactly the same as a Powerchip, remapping the fuel, removing the flatspot at ~2,500rpm and providing more bottom end. It's really designed for best performance with extractors and exhaust, but will provide an improvement in cars without those. You can see how it makes a dyno graph more linear, on my/soon to be SVDU12's TRX: Dyno Graph

You basically get the equivalent of a Powerchip between silver and gold for $195 + postage. I can can also arrange professional installation for a little more if necessary, even from outside Victoria if you send me your ECU. Send me an email if you're interested...

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2003, 08:47PM »
theyre for the ka24e only right?

Offline Adam J-TRX

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2003, 08:51PM »
Yeah, KA24E only sorry :-\

Offline weasel

• nsw local moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2003, 01:40AM »
i have one of those teamnse chips and IMHO i noticed a gain in power

the main thing i noticed was it got rid of the flat spot encountered after getting exhaust and extractors done and i now have a clear rev range and it picks up all the way through

it won't make your car a 14 second car but it is still a good upgrade for the price

i may have noticed a difference though as i was running xtrctors and zorst and filter b4 putting the chip in and i could compare the two but it definately made a noticable difference

Cheers >weasel<
"Noss is God"

SaMmYJ

« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2003, 12:43PM »
soooo sssgtr is it hard to program  that computer /? how u kone how to program it ?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2003, 12:49PM »
I just know... ;D
You need to have a detailed understanding to the effect of altering air fuel ratios in the engine for one. Using the software is easy, you need to know WHERE and HOW to alter values though.

trxadelaide

« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2003, 02:42PM »
AdamjTRX: For $190 im certainly interested.. Talking Kilowatt terms though.. what sort of gain would i b looking at just running extractors with the chip? im pushing 74kw@wheels now.

I noticed that u make your peak power at around 6500rpm
!!! what have u done 2 your engine??I NEVER take my trx over the red line!! i simply couldn't bring myself 2 do it bro!

would u b able to IM me as much info as possible on that Teamnse chip. Stuff paying 500 bucks 4 a powerchip when i can get something equivalent for 300 bucks cheaper!!!