Author Topic: 5000 rpm power cut in ka u12  (Read 8494 times)

Offline 1sku12

• antrx.com junior member
5000 rpm power cut in ka u12
« on: May 8, 2012, 11:51PM »
Was wondering if anyone can help with my problem!

Drove my pintara home turned it off then about 30 mins later went for a drive and now it has no power above 4000 rpm and when it gets to 5000 rpm it just completely looses power all together and wont rev any further at wot, if i ease on the throttle it'll hit limiter but is still really slow.

So far i've tried spare o2, air temp sensor, maf, coil, fuel pressure reg, fuel pump, ignition modual, dizzy, leads, tested compression, plugs, leads and checked ecu codes which are 13 and 41.

Going to try a new water temp sensor tomorrow and see how that goes.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Re: 5000 rpm power cut in ka u12
« Reply #1 on: May 9, 2012, 08:57AM »
Peak power in a KA is around that area anyway, 5300/5800 from memory.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #2 on: May 9, 2012, 08:46PM »
Yeah but its not like it looses power at 5000be it just completely dies like a fuel or ignition cut!

Tried another ecu, water temp sensor and the water temp sensor code wasn't there when i checked the codes, drove it the ecm light flashed under deceleration so i shut it off and restarted it now the ecm light
is out the code has returned and the problem is still there!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Re: 5000 rpm power cut in ka u12
« Reply #3 on: May 9, 2012, 09:09PM »
Do you have a pod filter? Have you been cleaning / oiling the filter?

Check your air flow meter. Get some contact cleaner and give it a good spray.

Sent from my Xperia Arc using Tapatalk

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:39PM »
Got a pod on it and i've cleaned it taken off the afm and tried another one with no pod but still the same problem, i've disconnected most of the sensors and tried driving it but its the same!

Going to buy a Gregorys manual and try to reset all the sensors and check that there all "in range" and working as they should! I hope it by some miracle fixes itself :(lol but that probably wont happen!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Re: 5000 rpm power cut in ka u12
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:12PM »
Forget the Gregory manual, you can download the Nissan manual from here.

Sent from my Xperia Arc using Tapatalk

Offline SleepaTi

• antrx.com junkie
  • KA24DET Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:47PM »
it sounds like a mechanical problem but it could really be anything, cam gear jumped a few teeth, blocked/collapsed cat &/or muffler etc

stand at the back of the car while having someone rev it, most problems can be worked out by the 'sound' of the exhaust.
if it sounds loud or boomy it's usually fuel/ignition, if it sounds like tinny or makes a ffffffffffff sound it's possibly the exhaust.

if you can post up a youtube vid it'll give us techies an idea.
NO! it's NOT a fucking SR20!!

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 11:19PM »
Compression tested it and all cylinders were good, found out tonight when it starts to die at 5000the the end stops reving at 5500the if i keep my foot on the gas it'll keep dropping in revs until i back off and accelerate again.

Could it be the little vac solinoids near the airbox?

still throwing codes 13 and 41 and they do have continuity to the ecu.

I just dont get why when i hold it at half throttle it will hit limiter (slowly) but when its between 5000 and 6500you as soon as i press down on the pedal it will just die!

Going to go through the fsm ( thanks noss i found it :)) and try to reset all the sensors and timing, ordered a nissan consult from ebay and i'm going to check out all the systems, scan toolat work wont read the codes.

Thanks to everyone for your advice to!

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:22AM »
I dont think the vac switches will make that much difference, I swear people have removed them all together with little effect?

My initial thought was maybe your cat converter is full/blocked, that would have that effect, but you might notice your exhaust sounding different and I wouldnt think it would come on all of a sudden.

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 11:05AM »
My exhaust has a "high flow cat" anyways and no mufflers to get blocked either.

Its almost like its staving of fuel! But the pressures were spot on!

Yeah i tried blocking off the lines and solinoids last night with no difference!

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 09:34PM »
I think it could be the fuel pump creating enough pressure but not enough volume! Plus i dunno what the anti pulseing thing on the pump is for!

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 12:47AM »
Ok so i might have figured out what it is kinda :)you tried the old pump, ran a little better.

There is a plug on top of the gearbox that sits near the earth on the box and the breather pipe (manual) and i unplugged it, idle speed went from about 900 rpm straight to 1500 rpm and the thermo fans turned on (might be unrelated) and drove it back home pretty much on limiter but its still slow, most likely from timing cause i've been "blind" timing my car lol

So now i'm gonna wait for an hour or so and take it for another drive and see how it goes.

Does anyone know what this plug goes to or what its purpose is? The cable for it runs around the front of the box and then i dunno where is goes!

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 02:23AM »
Still broken! Must have bumped something when pulling the plug off! Gonna check the earths

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 10:24AM »
fuel flow could definitely be a problem. you might not be flowing enough for high revs. also don't blindly do the timing on your car. get a timing light and make sure its at 15 degrees btdc before you try to troubleshoot too much more.

i'm certain i had a similar problem in my car previously, but unfortunately i can't remember what i ever did to fix it.

i know you've said you've checked all this, but i would say the problem is either fuel delivery, spark or an intake leak.

edit: if you're easier on the throttle, can you get past 5000rpm? i.e. does it only happen at fuel throttle? could be tps if that were the case. have you changed/checked the coil?

also, thats jogged my memory, there is a little black box attached to the coil, get one of them from the wrecker and try another coil if you haven't already. but i can't promise that it was the same problem i was fixing. i'm old you see, bad memory. but i know i was hunting for the problem for ages, i had changed most things related to fuel and spark including coil, but then i read about a problem with the 300zx where the internals of this box would crap out, so i replaced the box and the problem went away.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:33AM by noss »

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 12:13PM »
Lol you cant be that old noss! Tried a new coil and box thingy alteady to and yes if i'm not at wot it will rev past the 5000-5500i mark and go all the way to limiter, just about to reset the timing and try another new set of plugs. Whay does the little brown box at the top of the fire wall on the passenger side of the car do? Oh and took it to the car wash and strayed the engine with high pressure water to test for an air leak but it just happily idles so i dont think its that!

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 12:39PM »
Ok so i got a timing light on to it and i couldn't get it to 15 degs btdc without either pulling the bolts out completely to spin the dizzy a little further or disconnecting the engine temp sensor (two pin one) because it was running at about 30 degs btdc :o

Now the "limiter" is at 5700 rpm instead, going to put a new tps on and adjust it then a brand new water temp sensor and check the timing again.

I think i'm slowly narrowing down the problem!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 02:29PM »
Your probably not setting the timing right. The computer will try and adjust it while your manually adjusting it.

Quick step by step:
1. Turn on car and run until warm/operating temp.

2. Turn car off and disconnect the tps sensor. This will lock computer timing at 15.

3. Attach timing light and start car.

4. Adjust time to be 15 deg btdc.

5. Turn car off again, reconnect tps and start car.

6. Test drive!
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 10:23PM »
Dang didn't that one! Cheers man i hope this works!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 08:08PM »
Your probably not setting the timing right. The computer will try and adjust it while your manually adjusting it.

Quick step by step:
1. Turn on car and run until warm/operating temp.

2. Turn car off and disconnect the tps sensor. This will lock computer timing at 15.

3. Attach timing light and start car.

4. Adjust time to be 15 deg btdc.

5. Turn car off again, reconnect tps and start car.

6. Test drive!

shouldn't be out by 15 degrees at idle though, or not able to get to 15 at all. tps is likely the problem, but follow kranzy's directions there to see if it makes a difference.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20AM »
If you don't lock the timing when you move the dizzy the computer compensates and you'll never get the correct readout. That's why you need to lock it either with the tps or by using data scan.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 02:18AM »
Still throwing codes 13 and 41you though and i've changed them both! Tested and there all in "range" and there is continuity to the ecu because it showd resistance in there circuits!

This is driving me crazy! I bought another car to drive just so i dont drive my pintara amd potentially destroy it!

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #21 on: Jun 8, 2012, 02:33PM »
bump on this. did you end up fixing it, my u12 is currently having the same issue :S??
"Noss is God"

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2012, 10:28PM »
Its still doing the same thing but i checked with my consult tool (best $50 i've ever spent) and my timing
Is at 65 degrees btdc at idle and goes to 83 degrees btdc at maximum rpm i can pull out of it!

My mate keeps telling me to check if my timing chain has skipped a tooth as to my knowledge its NEVER been replaced!  :o

Haven't had time much to tinker with her as i'm currently bolting together my family car R31 skyline,
Dont think my babies spine would like my pintara to much lol

Offline SleepaTi

• antrx.com junkie
  • KA24DET Guru
« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2012, 11:29PM »
maybe 1 thing no one has mentioned yet but possibly your swirl control system has failed....
holding the butterflies in the closed position restricting airflow in the upper rpms.
NO! it's NOT a fucking SR20!!

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #24 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:18AM »
Yeah thought of that and unhooked it, jammed it open with no success gonna check the cam timing this week sometime if it ever stops raining!

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #25 on: Jul 16, 2012, 02:21AM »
Oh and it also stopped throwing codes after i put in the new ecu and maf i got from noss!

Offline 1sku12

« Reply #26 on: Oct 19, 2012, 02:39AM »
After all that blood, sweat, tears and considering crushing it i found out it was a stretched timing chain! :(

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: Oct 19, 2012, 07:43AM »
Oops....was there much damage internally?