Author Topic: TV capture card  (Read 9176 times)

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty
    • Antrx
TV capture card
« on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:33AM »
Hey guys,

Does anyone know anything about TV capture cards? I am thinking of purchasing one soon and I need to know how to set it up, the basics, etc etc.

Cheers.

Offline Urq!

• sdrawkcab siht daer
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • I wonder if anyone reads these things.
    • My car
Re: TV capture card
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:11AM »
yeah i have been intrested in getting one of these too.

about all a know is they capture TV and they come in a card like form.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:23AM »
I was going to get one a while ago, but never did.  Apparently the only real issue with them can be drivers.   Make sure you get one from a half decent brand name.

The actual chip the card uses is very important as well quality wise.

I would recommend doing a search on the OCAU forums evenflow (www.overclockers.com.au)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2004, 11:48AM »
i had a tv capture card in my old pc, it was a phillips card. i have quite a few movies on my pc which i converted from vhs. the main problem i see with tv capture cards is that you can only capture at 320x200 (the original size of the image that your tv will use before projecting it onto the screen)

another problem is the initial capturing if your saving to a file from tv.. the software that you get in most cases has very poor compression software and you cant change it to something like divx for its encoding.

i didnt find drivers to be an issue at all. just go to www.driverguide.com and you'll find the drivers your after.

if you just want the capture card so you can watch tv its also a pretty good product.

if you want it for high quality video capturing then because the original quality of images on a tv isnt exactly the best thing in the world, then some of you image quality nazi's might not like it.

one of my mates has just bought one, he is pretty impressed with it.. he spent $130 or so on a leadtek deluxe card.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2004, 11:57AM »
yeh the compression is shitty =/ i've got a ledtek winfast 2000xp solely for receiving cable tv... www.fucu.cjb.net  8) 8) 8) 8) , nice card and mad remote!
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:25PM »
get a good card and mkae sure uhave a excellent system then you won't have compression problem's or loose quality.  i wanted to get one of these but i see that vivo (video in video out) on card's work better and u can capture with that to.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:31PM »
I bought a flyvideo card in '97... came with sh*te drivers, but new drivers were online.  Could capture @ 30fps at pretty high res, even back then on my Pentium 75.

Best way to capture video is via a digital video camera/firewire using a camera with an AUX input.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:34PM »
30fps.. that's rat sh*t man.
but then again it was old :D
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:10PM »
May well be, but it has been proven that above 35fps your eye cannot differentiate the higher fps. So 35 would look exactly the same to human eye as 100fps. I would know, My dad is an optometrist! :P

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:24PM »
PAL is 25fps, NTSC ~ 30...

No need to capture any quicker than that...
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:34PM »
umm.. isn't it refresh rate of what your viewing??? coz when i play online gaming i can notice abit of chuggering at 50fps

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:00PM »
refresh rate is not related to fps. refresh rate is the frequency is hertz that your monitor is displaying the current res.

online games is seperate to these again (although fps is relevant to games). if it's chugging its because your comp is doing something or is cactus, or your experiencing lag.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:02PM »
but i find when i bump the refresh rate up the fps go up

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:27PM »
If you refresh rate is set at 80hz @ 800x600 and your video card can do 120fps in say UT2003 or something at 800x600 you'll only be able to 'see' 80fps max, as the monitor does not refresh fast enough.

If you up the refresh to 150hz for example (if your screen can do that) you'll notice its smoother.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:07PM »
depends what screen u got.. mine does 100 easy on dod

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:17PM »
I've had a pixelview playtv pro, a phillips and more recently a leadtek 2000xp deluxe. The leadtek is an inferior card compared to the other 2. I can encode on the fly from the TV source or a video source straight to xvid with mp3 stereo sound. I usually leave it at 640x480 depending whether the source is widescreen or not. It records with no problems on my comp and doesn't come close to skipping any frames. (barton 2500 @ 2.3GHz/512ram)

I got my leadtek for $120 in November. They sell on various forums here in Australia for about $70, or you can get them for around ~$100-110 new. I'm looking at getting a digital tv tuner sometime soon, they go for around $170. I'll probably wait until some secondhand ones start floating around to try them out :)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:44PM »
ah cmon... overclock your barton :D u know it can hehehehe ... nah then u need better cooling.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:55PM »

at what res is your screen doing this?

also..

30fps.. that's rat sh*t man.
but then again it was old :D

a) your tv only does 30fps cause thats all that it recieves

b) your tv also only receives 320x200 images

c) the software you get generally cant have the codecs it uses changed, and normal video authoring software wont be able to tune to a channel so you gotta use what you get with the card

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:06PM »
I've had a pixelview playtv pro, a phillips and more recently a leadtek 2000xp deluxe. The leadtek is an inferior card compared to the other 2. I can encode on the fly from the TV source or a video source straight to xvid with mp3 stereo sound. I usually leave it at 640x480 depending whether the source is widescreen or not. It records with no problems on my comp and doesn't come close to skipping any frames. (barton 2500 @ 2.3GHz/512ram)

I wish I could encode Xvid at faster than 25fps!!  Oh well, maybe the old Celeron 600@1035mhz needs to be updated, although I normally say this, then the car gets another b'day present ;D hehe

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:13PM »
ah cmon... overclock your barton :D u know it can hehehehe ... nah then u need better cooling.

it is overclocked :P

A 2500+ runs at 1833Mhz stock.. mines running at 2300Mhz. :)

could push it more but i'd need to get rid of the stock cooler...

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2004, 03:09PM »
lol :).. my p4 is overclocked to 2.0 from 1.6.. no temp differences but i got modyfied cooler.. not much difference tho

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2004, 03:17PM »
neither of my computers are overclocked. my home pc is a p4 2.6 and my work one is a p4 2.8. and they're still faster than yours. so stick that up your overclocked "my computer will overheat & blow up soon" pipe & smoke it. :P

porretta

« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2004, 03:20PM »
some senario here noss. both da comps in my house arent overclocked and one is p4 3ghz and one is 2.8ghz

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2004, 03:48PM »
lolz well mine's runnning at 18 degrees... so we'll see who last's longer :P compared to the 40 + stock temps.. but then again im running more power through my cpu

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2004, 06:29PM »
so we'll see who last's longer :P compared to the 40 + stock temps..

meh. I change processors every few months. I've had a 1700+, 1800+, 2100+ and now the barton. If it fries, it gives me an excuse to get an a64. No big deal.

and yep i'm an AMD fanboy. 2300Mhz barton is equivalent to a 3 gig ~ 3.2gig p4. So I can't see the reason to spend $200 more on something that does the same thing. :)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:07PM »
i hate amd's :P.. the a64 :) make sure it's FX if you do get it.. but personally i'd wait

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:14PM »
i hate amd's

bit of a generalisation don't you think? Especially with nothing to back that statement up with.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:18PM »
nothing offensive .. but just how intel gave them a bluprint.. lowered the pins.. modyfied the core ran more voltage through and said they made it. but compare your barton to the 2.8C and watch how much better the pentium 4 run's .. ive built 1 amd and 1 p4 system b4 and noticed the difference. i used ut2003 benchmark's, pcmark 2003 and 3d mark 2003 and 2001. p4 beat it all round but amd beat it on compression test's. both ran same video card, hdd, sound card, and same ram which was corsair 4200+ twinx.. ddr dual channel. but then again this is serious shit im talkin about i don't think people will use that much power everyday.

Offline trxmad

• post whore
« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2004, 11:28PM »
what does overclocked mean?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2004, 11:18AM »
When you squeeze more Mhz out of your systems CPU clock speed, RAM speed or a Video cards Core speed or memory speed.

For example, my old Celeron when you pull it out of the box and run it how its meant to be is a 600Mhz (66Mhz * 9  = 600Mhz.

When I go into my shitty old Epox boards BIOS settings and up the FSB speed to 112Mhz instead of 66Mhz its now a 1008mhz CPU (112Mhz * 9 = 1008Mhz).  Although the voltage the CPU receives has been slightly increased to ensure stablity as this level of overclock.  The by-product of this being more heat is generated.

So I pretty much bought a 1Ghz CPU for $175 two and a half years ago.  Which was kickass back then!