Author Topic: Expense of living in our immediate lifetime  (Read 4758 times)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
Expense of living in our immediate lifetime
« on: Apr 23, 2011, 12:03PM »
Have any of you sat back and thought how expensive our lives can actually get?

OPEC are still raising the bar of the price of oil, in order to reduce the amount of people buying it and letting it roll on a few more years, effectively buying us time to work something else out.. if you guys think its the Americans being greedy raising the price of oil, well you might want to think again. Oil is a big problem and we WILL face an issue in our lifetime.

The prices of food and energy? The human race is growing way too fast and I feel that we're going to hit the fan with production of this stock..Energy sources with all this taxing and climate change control going on, that is also a big problem.. many of you might think its a load of arse, but it's a pretty big issue.

For example, at our current growth rate, in 330 years or so, if we were using solar energy as a pure energy source, ignoring the losses of this for plants, etc etc, using the average energy consumption per person, the sun will not be able to emit enough solar radiation to power each person on this planet. 330 years is not very far away. Obviously not our lifetime and there is other resources that will step in in the mean time, but it gives you an idea of what we have coming.

It makes you wonder... how much more expensive can things get?

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Re: Expense of living in our immediate lifetime
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2011, 09:07PM »
This doesnt sound like a chris post... has he been hacked?  it doesnt mention honda and he's not trying to sell a project?  :P
Not to mention I am pretty sure I remember having conversation about the oil companies holding back alternative engine designs to hold the oil market high.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2011, 10:40PM »
there have been perfectly viable 100% electric cars before. you just have to realise that you don't need long range.

gm had a good one that they didn't think would take off, it did, so then they sabotaged it as far as i can tell.

but yes, cost of living will continue to increase ridiculously, in fact, it has in the last 2-3 years. my pay has risen by 15% but my living expenses have risen by 40%

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2011, 11:02PM »
there have been perfectly viable 100% electric cars before. you just have to realise that you don't need long range.

gm had a good one that they didn't think would take off, it did, so then they sabotaged it as far as i can tell.

but yes, cost of living will continue to increase ridiculously, in fact, it has in the last 2-3 years. my pay has risen by 15% but my living expenses have risen by 40%

Surely a fair bit of that cost is due to now being a home owner and family man?  Its only really electricity thats gone up heaps, and groceries to some extent (despite the current price battles).

I saw on TV some chinese company doing two EV's.  Clearly one modelled on a Getz, the other near enough replica to a smart.  An electric car would be perfect for most people, problem is at 150% cost of a brand new standard petrol and range for those travelling up to around 100km a day the payback period is quite large.
I'm happy on my skateboard that cost me nothing to run each day.  Clocked just on 50km/h on my way to work.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2011, 12:45PM »
electricity yes, has definitely gone up, will be going up here again this june/july apparently.

public transport in brisbane has increased by 33% the last two years and a friend that used to work for qld rail said that the ticket prices will supposedly increase a further 60% this coming january. my water has gone from about $80/qtr to around $300/qtr. i use no more water, in fact i use less as i live by myself again, but they have increased the supply charges. petrol i suppose is obvious. increased 40c a litre in the last 12 months.

groceries are interesting with the price war thing, but items that are cheap, where do you find them? up the back of the store, so you have to walk past everything else to get your $1/litre milk.

obviously i don't keep track of the increases in grocery prices as much as the other big ticket items, but one thing i remember is buying a bottle of 1.25l coke for 89c 10yrs ago, its around $2.40 now. coca cola has a deal with sydney water that they only pay a fraction of the cost for water as the end user does, how much profit must they be making out of a bottle of coke?!

what i found interesting is that when i was in the usa, everything is so much cheaper than here. food, clothes, eating out, petrol, drinks, entertainment was the only thing that was really a similar cost to australia - i.e. movies, theatre and gigs.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Sik_bb_trx

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:50AM »

Yep unfortunately our wages havnt increased aswell, this is where I start thinking about a block of land in the country with tank water and solar power a vege patch and a few cows and chickens and to hell with the rest of the worlds problems, It comes down pure and simple to the fact that there is just to many of us, the planet cant handle any more yet we pop out another 1000 kids a day, meh who cares if you think about it to much youl go crazy, there is no soloution the end is nigh lol

ANTRX Philosophy 101

Offline 91 Ti

• antrx.com junior member
  • Deus Ex Machina
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2011, 12:37PM »
330 years ahead presuming mankind has still the relative civilisations as they are now i.e. scientific research capability then the power issue will have to have been solved for said civilisations to exist.

Finding better energy options for everyday use (if they exist already or not) will have to be employed irrespective of financial markets.

Money and fiscal policies are man-made mechanisms,dying due to lack of energy sources to continue life as we all wish it to be is not.

When money is taken out of the equation,all the solutions are do-able. 

If anyone is familiar with the "bucket of diamonds or bucket of water in the desert" you'd know this to be true.
You don't get anything clean without getting something else dirty.
  - Cecil Baxter

Offline aussiepintara

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2011, 04:40PM »
i agree all the way. money makes the world turn. whats going to happen when you can't make money anymore  :'(

:P

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2011, 05:23PM »
STFU all you.. I'm going back to the desert with my hot belly dancers and shisha..  ::)

Yeah everything has gone up. I lol at these price "wars" considering price drops in one section but "indirectly" other areas increase under the same company. I lol'd even more when I heard of Beer wars.. Sounds like XXXX loyalists skirmishing with VB loyalists.

The one thing that has always annoyed me in Aus is the price of Auto parts in general compared to o/seas. Obviously alot of is due to the origin of manufacture but still annoys me.. mind you with the Aus Dollar the way it is I'm looking to buy heaps of parts from the U.S.

One way of saving is really look into eating all food from home/packing food for work/uni etc.. the amount of money spent on T/Way food is high I guess due in part to the convenience factor.
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2011, 12:09AM »
Sorry, I think some of you are on crack.

Yes, money makes the world spin, but so does simple physics.............

The fact is, we are growing WAY too fast. Do you think richmothafuckaz are gonna throw money in the air when we are too populated to sustain growth in a healthy fashion and things to be all good? LOL. I better hope that happens.

Do some research and work out what an exponential function really means.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2011, 05:12PM »
Some of you guys might be interested is checking out a free doco... Zietgiest Addendum. Pretty much covers this topic and explains why the monetry system is killing us.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline aussiepintara

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2011, 05:51PM »
i think there is alot of people on crack and i hope there ain't any on this sit. i would like to see how may of yous can last a week without the things you take for granted like power fridges and tv's if you wish (and money). i have and it's f(#$ed

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2011, 12:39AM »
think about where civilisation was 300 years ago, the technologies have changed so much, almost unrecognisaly so.  Who knows where technology will be in 300 years time.
I would think there is more of a problem with food supply when it comes to population growth.  energy use can be varied with technology, our bodies still need X amount of food per day.  With a few billion more people we need a few billion x3 more cows/sheep/chickens and then a few billion more grassy fields to feed them too.

Mind you I was thinking recently, if so many countries are in debt, who's holding all the money and what the fuck do they use or need it for?

just at a glance I count over $25trillion.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2011, 07:48PM »
That picture must be a little old because the US has a national debt of $14.3 trillion. China holds a huge amount of that debt and it gives them ALOT of leverage over the US.

Chris you might be interested in this article. Long read but very interesting:
http://www.gmo.com/websitecontent/JGLetterALL_1Q11.pdf

I tend to agree with what you say about compound growth and how it isn't sustainable. The question we need to ask is....what is the alternative?

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2011, 11:13PM »
I guess the problem is that there are resources on this planet, not trying to promote the 'naturalist' view but we grew on Earth (taking a darwinism standpoint) and die here. Excepting the few hunks of semi-intelligent metal we fling out into space occasionally, the atomic mass of the planet stays pretty much constant. It's just finding clever ways to convert this to energy.

The big problem at the moment is that everyone cries for solar power, but the production hit (and, i guess, monetary hit) is horrendous. The manufacturing process + the upkeep and replacement of a solar cell is only slightly better than using coal-powered electricity plants.

Furthermore, with the advancements in science (read: quantum computer in 20 years. Wooo!) the average lifespan of a human is going to quickly increase. Steven Hawking, in a bit of optimism, hypothesized that the average human can live indefinitely due to advancements made in medicine in the next 50 years. Horrifying stuff!

The only solution is to colonize other planets, or heavily cap the population. Isn't china already doing this? =/

Also LOL - I was wondering how long this thread would last before Zeitgeist was brought up. ;D