Author Topic: 300zx conversion? (Drive and transmission)  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Soulkeeper1357

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • Bluebird
300zx conversion? (Drive and transmission)
« on: Feb 15, 2006, 01:36AM »
Any1 have an idea where can I get a conversion kit for 300zx Right hand drive to Left hand drive, and converting the Automatic to Manual transmission?

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
Re: 300zx conversion? (Drive and transmission)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:53AM »
kinda strange, but anyway.........that sorta sh*t wont come in kits

for auto->manual you'd need gearbox, flywheel, clutch, master + slave cylinders (master has booster which you'll need vacuum box thing for if you wanna use it, or can just have a heavy f*ck off clutch), clutch lines (pipe + hose sections), manual pedal box setup, shifter and any centre console change, clutch fork.....hmm that's all i can think of right now. you'd also need to short the park-neutral switch so the ecu lets the car start.

re switching drive, i can't see the point - they came in both i think (america got them, yeah?), so would be easier to just start with the right car. otherwise you'd need the obvious dash and stuff, the loom would need some playing around with (maybe effectively flip it over in the cabin and it might work), steering would need switching over or something i guess. afaik the holes and stuff in the firewall will be in place but plugged up (like a lot of cars).

that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's more to it than that. auto->man isn't THAT hard on its own though, i've helped a mate do it before.

Offline Soulkeeper1357

• Bluebird
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2006, 03:24AM »
thanks, now the roblem is this, i asked for a z32 and thay gave me a z31. 1987 nissan fairlady oh well, ive converted it alright but im going to sell this and order another one, I like the z32...

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:32AM »
just to clarify, theres no booster for the clutch master cylinder, thats only for the brake

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline DeathPlaza

• Stupid American
    • Ralphsquad
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2006, 11:11AM »
may i ask why you want left hand drive?  you converted it to manual tranny and your gonna sell it right afterwards?  sounds like a waste of time.  most people who do RHD conversions end up buying a front clip and cutting out the LHD firewall, and welding in the RHD one, at least on a civic. 
I have a sunroof!

Offline phreeky

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2006, 11:15AM »
just to clarify, theres no booster for the clutch master cylinder, thats only for the brake

on z32s there is, but not most cars i've seen

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2006, 01:01PM »
interesting, the Z32's ive seen havent had it, sure your looking at the clutch master cylinder?? infact all the sports cars of the era from nissan that i have been under the bonnet of, and thats a damned lot of em, none have had a booster for the clutch, no car needs it.....

edit: also checked it up on FAST and there is absolutely no sign of a booster for the clutch at all!! and there is 3 different types of clutch master cylinder for a Z32!! :P
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2006, 01:05PM by Getting Less Craazy »

Offline phreeky

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:25PM »
i did a quick check and you're correct that FAST doesn't show it (well not where i'm looking), however it's definately there

quick google showed this too: http://www.courtesyparts.com/z32/oe_clutch-boost.html

must have just been some models of it i guess, or only certain years of them maybe, but it was certainly there as i helped a mate do the conversion. we just left the vac pipe open and didn't bother with it, make the clutch f*ckin' heavy though i can assure you of that (well with a heavy a*se clutch). i think it was due to a setup with a very short clutch travel giving less leverage and therefore requiring the booster.

i really can't explain why i can't find it in FAST

(btw parts donor car was a manual TT from factory)

edit: another quick search shows only came standard in the TT, not NA

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2006, 06:14PM »
i did just find it on FAST, in a little section for the brake and clutch servo's, wierd place for it to be but you were right.

i coulda sworn on the TT 300ZX i was looking at it didnt have it, but then again it was a converted 300ZX. and the others 300ZX's i have looked at werent TT's so we learnt something new....

gonna have a looksee as to whether others were like this coz it is a very strange addition

Offline Soulkeeper1357

• Bluebird
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:11PM »
I need a left hand drive here in the Philippines because RHD is illegal here. The fine can go up to a thousand dollars US and imprisonment. Second, I like manual transmission rather than automatic. And my mistake I thought I was getting a 1990 z32 TT but an older version z31 1987.  :(

Offline phreeky

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:23AM »
Well either way with Zs having been released in both the US and Japan/Aus, LHD + RHD versions are available, which means if you have to do the conversion then all the other parts should be available too. It would probably be best to pull the whole dash out (I recommend using a digi-cam to take photos of the process for reference later), grab the wiring loom and flip the whole lot over (if that will work, otherwise might require some slight modifications), sort the steering and pedals out, then go about putting a LHD dash and related parts in.

If you find the pedal bolt holes and holes for the steering for LHD are all present in the RHD then I imagine the only big hurdles will be sourcing the LHD dash etc, and sorting out the steering - maybe it can just be flipped over??!

The Z31 might not look quite as nice but you could still make it go quick and have a lot of fun in it, but naturally it'd want to be quite a bit cheaper than a Z32.