Author Topic: brake master cylinder  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
brake master cylinder
« on: Dec 13, 2003, 04:51AM »
has anyone here replaced there master cylinder? the other day i discovered a small leak on mine.. so is it possible to buy a reconditioning kit(new seals and stuff) from nissan or can you buy a non genuine one....

i had a mechanic check it out and he said not to worry about it too much cos the leak is fairly minimal. and if he was to replace it hed want between 200 and 400 bucks :o he also said that its not reconditionable but the gregorys manual seems to say otherwise ???

thanks,
james

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
Re:brake master cylinder
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2003, 11:53PM »
i was quoted $235 here on gold coast & was told that i had to buy a new one as there are no kits for them.
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2003, 09:14AM »
yeah mine went a couple of months ago, got quoted just over $500 for a new non genuine one, but looked around and eventually found one for $230..
I dont know much about the sealers, but i think they would just hold it temporarily and break again..

if u can find one in the 2-300 mark installed, i'd say go for it. its your brakes dude! if they fail, u could die!

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2003, 04:38PM »
yes i know how important brakes are!!

but im a lil confused about whether or not u can buy an overhaul kit   i quote from the gregorys manual::
"NOTE: where possible, when overhauling a master cylinder, use a genuine major repair kit which contains preassembled pistons and seals.
The use of a major repair kit will ensure a thorough overhaul and long service from the unit."

ill start shopping around more on monday