Author Topic: fat shifter  (Read 4814 times)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
fat shifter
« on: Oct 23, 2003, 10:28AM »
currently in my trx i have a standard shifter, those really tall skinny things around the thickness of a AA battery. they're in every single pintara i have ever seen, and i've seen quite a few. i've always wanted a nice fat sporty shifter in my trx much like in my old celica, so i bought a celica one to make a hybrid sort of shifter out of, i've just never gotten around to it..

recently one of my bushings in the gear selector bit the dust & i couldnt buy the bushing anywhere, so i had to buy the whole gear shifting assembly from a wrecker in adelaide. now the box with the goodies in it has sat happily unopened for a while.. but last nite i decided to open it up & have a look. and what do i find? a nice fat pintara gear stick. its practically exactly the same as the celica one except its painted black (celica one was billet alluminium) so the width of it until just below the gear knob is about as thick as a C or D size battery, and then just below where the knob comes to it tapers up to the standard width. as you can imagine, i'm over the moon with my new gearstick.. screw the rest of the gear in the box that i need.. i'm set!

anyway, i was wondering if anyone else has a fat shifter? is this something that a lot of people have or have i just been the lucky one to pick up something quite rare?

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline FANC_ME

• Heaven Wont Have Me And Hell Thinks Ill Take Over
  • post whore
Re:fat shifter
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2003, 11:46AM »
I have a fat one.. I mean under the gear knob its really skinny but once thats screwed on all the way the rest of the gear stick is quite thick.. not that you can see it under my shift boot but anyway...

I didnt know they came any thinner??
Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2003, 11:52AM »
standard shifter looks like this..

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2003, 12:58PM »
What does that new one you talk of look like

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2003, 01:33PM »
its actually a dead ringer for the stillen short shifter.. this is the biggest pic i can find..

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2003, 01:48PM »
here you go, bit better picture of a similar shifter.. not the same though, but it gives you the right idea..

SaMmYJ

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2003, 03:49PM »
how much did it cost u noss ?? were did u order it from ?? did u get it brand new ???? cu i had to get one 2nd hand out of a car at the wreckers  n its shit .

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2003, 05:06PM »
nah its 2nd hand from a wreckers sammy.. i rang nissan dealers everywhere & i finally got told that nissan didnt ever intend any of the parts to do with the gear selector setup to be servicable.

i have the invoice at home i'll get you the name of the place.. but i do remember the suburb.. actually.. i think the place was nisswreck and its in wingfield in south oz.. cost me $65 for the entire assembly.. i got everything from the gear knob thru to the selector fork.

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2003, 05:43PM »
I replaces all the bushes in thise secletor rods for about $2.20 from local nissan dealer apaerntly its a common problem and they aways have spares.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2003, 05:48PM »
thats fucked! i cant believe that! you wouldnt believe how many dealers & wreckers i rang before i got that response. either way the fat shifter is a bonus.

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2003, 09:49PM »
I replaces all the bushes in thise secletor rods for about $2.20 from local nissan dealer apaerntly its a common problem and they aways have spares.
yeah, same here about 4 mths ago ;)
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

SaMmYJ

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2003, 01:30AM »
my gearshift selctor now moves all over the place liek 10cm left rigtg up down everywere wats that i rember wen i 1st got the car it didnt wobble at all ?? wats the fix for that /?

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2003, 01:54AM »
year replacing those bushes reduces it alot but i didnt get rid of all min i think i need tha new spring that keeps it in place

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2003, 08:28AM »
i think that might be my prob.
Mine wobbles all over the place. it used to sit upright and straight. but now it flops over to the left . Could be a spring? coz if i move the shifter to the right, it moves itself back into place (Upright, but not for the left, it stays there?? (this sounds dirty.... :-\ oh well)

any ideas on how i could fix it?

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2003, 08:29AM by Nizzan »

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2003, 04:24PM »
same with mine - even my girlfriend complains about it - it nearly feels like neutral in EVERY gear it moves around that much - it wasn't like that until I got my clutch done - any ideas what the f*ckers have done to my selector linkage?
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Westy

• antrx.com junior member
  • '90 TRX
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2003, 06:52PM »
I have ha dthe exact problem ever since i owned the car, and was told the only way to fix it was replacing the gearbox.
How easy is it to fix, caus my gearstick rattles like all shit when i an reving above 2.5K and it drives me fucking insane?

cheers.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2003, 07:45PM »
Oh yeah, count me in as another one with a fat. :cwm13:

shifter that is.   :cwm27: