Author Topic: Ka24e solenoids  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Ka24e solenoids
« on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:19PM »
What are the 3 solenoids next to the battery tray ?

I had found in the book that the middle one is the fuel pressur solenoid, but what are the other 2 ? They to do with the swirl control valve bullshit etc ? Can I delete them ?

I would download the FSM on here but have to access to the interwebs cept via my phone, so just chasing a quick answer from here.

Cheers guys.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: Ka24e solenoids
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:25PM »
You don't need any of the 3 solenoids.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:10PM »
Fuck yeah, they ugly as fuck and in the way.

But, if you don't mind answering, what are they for ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:55AM »
They are described in the Factory Service Manual.

Offline Nomad

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:02AM »
Carbon Canister Purge
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Swirl Control Valve

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:48AM »
Carbon Canister Purge
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Swirl Control Valve

Cheers.

Without the carbon canister purge, can the fuel tank still vent under pressure ?
Also, fuel pressure regulator solenoid, that won't have any effects removing it ?
And I obviously don't need the SCV.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Nomad

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:14PM »
The fuel pressure regulator still needs to have its vacuum source but you definitely don't need the solenoid. This solenoid is used only to increase fuel pressure when starting under hot conditions. My KA24E Navara doesn't have this system and it starts fine in hot weather.

I guess it depends on how legal you want to be and how your engine bay looks regarding the carbon canister.
Leave it connected as stock except run the vac line from the (removed) solenoid to a vacuum source on your throttle bodies as near as possible to the throttle butterfly/plate. That way it will still do its job and you won't end up with an engine bay full of fumes to catch on fire!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2013, 01:30PM »
I removed the carbon canister from my black U12 years ago, just left the vent line open in the engine bay.

Having a functioning carbon canister is the least of your worries if you get pulled over in QLD now with ITB's and an aftermarket ecu.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2013, 01:39PM »
I removed the carbon canister from my black U12 years ago, just left the vent line open in the engine bay.

Having a functioning carbon canister is the least of your worries if you get pulled over in QLD now with ITB's and an aftermarket ecu.

Shhh :p

The Ecu is in the glove box lol, where else can it be mounted out of sight on the passenger side ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:14PM »
stock location. run the cable to connect to to the glovebox maybe? you have plenty of options.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2013, 01:43PM »

I wouldn't say ITBS are illegal, I'm sure it states 1 intake mod, besides obvious turbo and supercharged for p platers, so they couldn't say much. Ecu can be hidden, yes.

I'd say the only reason I'd get pulled over and hood popped would be if I was revving high at WOT making shit loads of noise (ITBS don't help) and I'f they see the 324mm rotors with blue calipers and look for a mod plate.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2013, 02:46PM »
They are illegal, as you have directly interferred with pollution control equipment attached to the std intake manifold, in addition to having an ecu that can have its mapping modified which changes the levels of CO2, NOx and CO that the engine now outputs and most likely exceeds from what it was calibrated to from the factory.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:50PM »
Most cops in QLD don't know as much as they should.

I can argue the point if they say they are illegal, I can point out that I still have my carbon canister (ill leave it in for this purpose) an o2 sensor and a cat converter, than ask them reasoning why it's not legal. I guarantee they will not have a reason.

As for ecu, if a cop does find it and say that it's illegal because I personally can fuck with emissions time maps, fuel etc I can say "no I cannot, it has been locked by the tuner and I cannot access it to make changes" I have heard that one thrown around abit and 9 times out of 10 people have been let go.

However, it is my risk, and I guess we can all find out further down the track.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline MattJohn

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2013, 09:14PM »
Either way, you won't get your car checked if you're not driving like a halfwit..

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2013, 06:51AM »
Most cops in QLD don't know as much as they should.

I can argue the point if they say they are illegal, I can point out that I still have my carbon canister (ill leave it in for this purpose) an o2 sensor and a cat converter, than ask them reasoning why it's not legal. I guarantee they will not have a reason.

As for ecu, if a cop does find it and say that it's illegal because I personally can fuck with emissions time maps, fuel etc I can say "no I cannot, it has been locked by the tuner and I cannot access it to make changes" I have heard that one thrown around abit and 9 times out of 10 people have been let go.

However, it is my risk, and I guess we can all find out further down the track.

Good luck with that.

Offline MattJohn

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2013, 11:42AM »
For the record..

I'm pretty sure [P] law actually states you can't have any engine mods.. Any. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

Nor can you drive a car with a mod plate of any kind.

Don't quote me though, something I read somewhere.. So Nyone coulda written it aha

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2013, 11:49AM »
P platers can have engine swaps and mod plates providing they are still under the p plate kw limit.

And all p players can legally drive
- rb20det skylines
- s13 & auspec s15s
- rb30et vl commodores
Etc etc

Basically anything under the power to weight exemption laws. But has to be factory turbo charged, you cannot bolt one on yourself. Or do turbo charged engine swaps eg: sr20det into a pulsar.

But they do state a p player cannot have any "internal" engine modifications. Just external. But still no re mappable Ecu's etc.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline squizz taylor

« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2013, 03:26PM »
Straight From Queensland transport.

Something very intersting is the moderatly powerd TURBO Vehicles.

High-powered (performance) vehicle restriction
PrintEmail
High-powered (performance) vehicle restrictions apply to P1( http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Getting-a-car-driver-licence/P1-licence.aspx ) and P2( http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Getting-a-car-driver-licence/P2-licence.aspx ) licence holders under the age of 25 years.

These restrictions also apply to probationary licence holders who return from a disqualification( http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Licence-suspensions-and-disqualifications.aspx ) to a P1 or P2 probationary licence, when at the time of the offence they were under 25 years of age. These restrictions apply for the duration of the probationary period regardless of age.

High-powered (performance) vehicles include those with:

eight or more cylinders
a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
an engine that has a power output of more than 210kW as per the manufacturer's specifications
a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications  
a modified engine that must be approved under section 13 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010.
The following vehicles are exempt and can be driven:

Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 657-698cc (1992-1997)
Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible Turbo 4 659cc (2003 or later)
Smart Fortwo Coupe 2D Turbo 3 698cc (2000 or later)
Smart Fortwo Cabriolet Turbo 3 2D 698cc (2000 or later)
Smart Roadster Turbo 3 2D 698cc (2000 or later)
Check if a vehicle is a high-powered (performance) vehicle( http://tmr.redbook.com.au/ )*.

Certificate of exemption for driving a high-powered (performance) vehicle
If you hold a P1 or P2 licence you may be eligible for a certificate of exemption to enable you to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle. Please read the Certificate of Exemption high-powered vehicle Information Sheet (form S4478)( http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/Forms/FS4478 ) for further information.

You are eligible to apply for an exemption to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle if you can prove that one of the following circumstances applies to you.

1.  Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicle
You may apply for a certificate of exemption if the vehicle you wish to drive meets all of the following:

has a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
has a power-to-weight ratio of not more than 125kW/t
does not have any other features of a high-powered vehicle as outlined above.
The power-to-weight ratio means the ratio (expressed in kilowatts per tonne) calculated by dividing the car’s maximum engine power in kilowatts by the kerb weight and multiplying the product of the division by 1000. For example, the power to weight ratio of a vehicle that has a maximum engine power of 195kW and a kerb weight of 1667kg would be calculated as follows: (195÷1667) × 1000 = 117kW/tonne

Check if your vehicle is a moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicle( http://tmr.redbook.com.au/ )*.

2.  Personal circumstances and severe hardship
You may apply for a certificate of exemption if you meet the following three criteria (as outlined in A, B and C) below:

A. You need to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle in at least one of the following circumstances:

to, or from, your place of employment
in the course of your employment
to, or from, the education institution you attend
to get medical treatment for yourself or a family member.
OR

The only car reasonably available for you to drive is a high-powered (performance) vehicle and at least one of the following circumstances applies:

it was owned by you on 30 June 2007 and is still owned by you
it is owned or leased by a member of your immediate family
it is in the possession of an immediate family member provided under an employment or salary package.
AND

B. There is no other transport reasonably available to you.

AND

C. Refusal to issue the certificate of exemption will cause severe hardship.

Your traffic history will also be taken into consideration if you are applying for an exemption on this basis.

For the purposes of a high-powered (performance) vehicle exemption an immediate family member is your spouse (includes a defacto partner), your parent or step parent, your grandparent or spouse of a grandparent, or your approved carer or guardian.

Further details of the definition of an immediate family member can be found in section 71 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Driver Licensing) Regulation 2010.

To apply for an exemption you must:

complete and submit a Certificate of exemption for driving a high-powered vehicle application (form F4467)( http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/qtforms/QF4467/ )
provide appropriate supporting documentation
pay the application fee( http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Getting-a-licence/Licence-fees.aspx ).
Penalties
Failing to comply with the high-powered (performance) restrictions will lead to a fine and demerit points.
Drivers of high-powered (performance) vehicles that hold a certificate of exemption must produce this certificate when asked to by a police officer.

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2013, 03:28PM by squizz taylor »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2013, 11:55AM »
Your traffic history will also be taken into consideration if you are applying for an exemption on this basis.

losing your license within a year of having won't sit too well with trying to get an exemption

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2013, 12:17PM »
losing your license within a year of having won't sit too well with trying to get an exemption

14 months :p lol

Plus say a p plater got a $20k loan, like my brother did, than went car shopping. You can get the exemption before you buy the car, that's what my brother did with an s15. Than he changed his mind and got a DC2 type R instead.

They told him at DOT and QLD traffic branch that driving history doesn't matter too much as a p player can easily go out and buy a car a lot faster than a factory turbo car under the power to weight laws and still be within the p plate laws.

Example factory s15 vs v35 skyline and so forth.

The ones that you WILL be knocked back on for driving history is getting an exemption to drive a supra or 33/34 skyline, v8s etc as they are all over the power to weight category.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2013, 12:20AM »
If the cop knows what his looking at or not, he will more than likely send you for an EPA test if he has any doubts. If the fuel vent line is directly venting to atmosphere, you won't even get passed the initialisation sequence of the test cell before they perform the IM240 test (excess THC's)

I had to go back 3 times to get my car EPA "approved".

You can modify your car with ITB's, etc to comply with EPA requirements, just do it on an older car (pre 97 I think is workable..) so you can fit in with the less strict requirements.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...