Author Topic: eoi - Ford Corsair and 2x parts cars (NSW Shoalhaven and wagga area)  (Read 1367 times)

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
Hello all.

For those of you that have been following you'll know i have been replacing the head gasket on my corsair in the hopes of bringing it back form the dead. Im finished now, but im beginning to think i should cut my losses as i have plenty of other cars and am done spending money on this one.

What that means for whomever picks it up, if they do, they get a car that has been fairly well maintained. rather than list everything here i'll just post links to the threads i have put up over the last couple of years.
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,19950.0.html
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,18456.0.html
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,18684.0.html

So you can understand it's with a lot of reluctance that i part with the old Spruce Moose, but im getting old and have way too many broken cars and no where to put them.

The latest work was a cosmetic MLS head gasket and ARP head studs. I suspected the head may have cracked originally causing the water consumption, as a result of my porting, maby i had gotten too close to the water jacket. So when i got the head decked 0.2mm i also had it pressure tested and was told it was good.

Currently it starts, drives and runs well. Only broken thing is the passenger front window switch, But i have 2 spares in the parts cars that are also offered with this running car. (the parts cars are both silver ghias, partially stripped, neither run anymore)

What is wrong with it, I have pressure tested the radiator/cooling system and it held over 10PSI for 3 days so that's fine. It blows smoke that i have, i think, narrowed down to oil getting up past the rings.
If that is the case you can either a, drive it and keep filling it with oil, not sure how long it will last. Or b, engine out, strip down, oversize pistons and rings. Compression test across all 4 cylinders was 135 which is under minimum. i forgot to hold the throttle body open during the test so you can add 5-10 to that reading but it's still a bit low, due for new rings at least anyway

I'll also mention one problem i've always had and never been able to fix, sometimes you can notice the car very slightly surges when below 3000rpm. Looking at AFR's with a wideband sensor shows them wavering  slightly up and down around the 14.7 mark in sync with the power surge. No amount of troubleshooting could pinpoint it so i think it need an ECU swapout, see if that's it. Above 3000RPM it runs fine. Fuel use was about 10-11L per hundred right before it blew the head gasket. Dont know if that will have changed since the headgasket was redone.

Anyway, this is just to gauge interest. If in the next week or two no one wants it and i decide it's gotta go i will regretfully have to strip what i want to keep and take whatever the metal scrappers will give me for them.
I drive like i screw..... illegally =D... wait O.o WHAT?? O.O