Author Topic: air conditioning kaputt  (Read 2068 times)

Offline TRX_wnb

• antrx.com full member
  • No TV?!? whats all your furniture pointed at???
air conditioning kaputt
« on: Nov 18, 2004, 12:00PM »
well thats basically it, my air con in the pintara is dead to the world.  The light goes on to say that its going but the air seems hotter if anything.  What steps do i take to fix this, is it a matter of being re-gassed or are there other potential issues that i havent considered yet?

cheers

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: air conditioning kaputt
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2004, 12:06PM »
The gas could have leaked out of the hose connections.  If the A/C died all of a sudden I would be blaming a leak (unless the compressor itself is dead).

When my Corsair's A/C was dead you couldn't hear the compressor kicking in when you turned it on.  Then I got it re-gassed and one of the hoses replaced and off it went.  The gas escaped again after a few weeks and they re-gassed it for free... its been fine ever since.

The hoses in my car had been damaged due to the excessive moment of the engine... which was due to stuffed engine mounts.

It cost me $178 to get the system re-gassed and the hose replaced, they didn't charge me for the second re-gas.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

89tipintara

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2004, 12:08PM »
Ok by the sounds of things you should check this:

Firstly the XP valve...or whatever the fuckin thing is called. After an extended period of non-use it can get stuck open so see what the deal is there. But to me it sounds as if your condensor is blocked. How you can tell is the air gets hotter than the outside air cause the condesor is not flowing and being heated by the engine etc. Pull it out and soak it in shellite. While your there, take the compressor off and check the oil hasnt solidified in their as well. Take most of your piping off as well and soak those bad boys in shellite too. Do this and if shit still doesnt work then its your compressor, which may be totally screwed, or just lazy which a cheap rebuild can fix. if it does work, then you have soent 3 hours or so and $5 dollars on fixing your aircon. Good luck.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2004, 12:12PM by Sharms »

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2004, 08:39PM »
if it does work, then you have soent 3 hours or so and $5 dollars on fixing your aircon. Good luck.

Not forgetting that you'll need to get it all regassed yeah?

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2004, 08:52PM »
in the event that your compressor is screwed, i've got a spare from a KA engine...
But hopefulli its something more simple.  Good luck!

Offline TRX_wnb

• antrx.com full member
  • No TV?!? whats all your furniture pointed at???
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2004, 11:19PM »
i'm hoping its simple too! where abouts is this fabled 'XP valve' i guess i will find it if i'm removing most of it to clean it all anyway.  There is definitely no sound to indicate the A/C kicking in, and the car was stationary for a very long period of time.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.keep up the good work!

cheers

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2004, 11:42PM »
i'm hoping its simple too! where abouts is this fabled 'XP valve' i

I'm fairly sure Sharmo is referring to the Expansion valve, which is located on the back of the Cooling unit which is up under the dash on the passenger side (it is bolted onto the side of the heater unit)

To remove the cooling unit to get to the valve you supposedly have to remove the instrument cluster...

I can send you some scans from the Factory Service manual if need be, just PM me the email address you want it sent to.

Offline nightmareCA20E

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #7 on: Dec 9, 2004, 06:44PM »
I've just recently got my A/C regased for a low price of 75buck ;).And it goes like a
ZERTEX

At first the compressor while charging didn't want to kick in so I told him about my bridged (FAN relay) which where I installed a manual (on/off) switch myself and with a littel help from my dad with the electrical wiring.

Because the cooling fan's only switch them self on only for about a 1minute and then off at A certain temperature due to a temperature switch.

(before i had the air/con)And i installed it because I and my right side guard's paint work couldn't take the heat.

So I installed the switch which i switch on  and leave on the whole time on and the temperature is always i guess between a cool 25/35 degrees cool.

Enough of my my switch, So the mechanic told me that the switch should be on the whole time.

And he also bridged the A/C switch rightWhere the battery is it looks like a can/or canister where u can see it when u remove the colant reservoir .Because didn't want to work he bridged it instead chaning the switch.Wich would have cos't me moneey.

And now i feel like i'm in the antartic with the penguins ;D ;D   

sr+20+det=Power

Offline Sheldon

• antrx.com junkie
  • The Beasty Beast
« Reply #8 on: Dec 9, 2004, 07:31PM »
when i got my A/C fixed i needed a new dryer new hoses and the actual compresser needed some work ( i think all this is due to i think a front ender from previous owner which caused such damage i also needed new radiator aswell) it cost me all up including some electrical wiring and things like reverse lights $1000 including parts and stuff. Very pissed at price but what can ya do fricken rip offs lol.
If only the KA24E was KA24ET!!