Author Topic: Ka24de  (Read 2231 times)

trxadelaide

Ka24de
« on: Sep 18, 2003, 06:27PM »
Iv just been doing some research and I cant understand why we wouldn't b able to upgrade or engines to the KA24DE out of the sssbluebird U13's. In standard trim they push out 115KW or 155hp whereas our motors r only pushing 96KW or 129hp.

think of the performance potential of these motors as well. Being a DOHC makes it very desirable in my eyes. Also it would b much easier to turbocharge seeing as there r already manifolds available out there..

Even if u didn't stick in the entire engine why not just the head running an aftermarket computer.

Let me know what ya's think.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:Ka24de
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2003, 06:42PM »
its already been talked about a few times..

read here for more info.. http://www.antrx.com/yabb/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=250;start=0#msg2304

basically for the minimal power increase you get, its too expensive. from memory it has less torque, and the turbo kits are american. cheapest ka24de engine i've seen is $2400 2nd hand

also apparently the head doesn fit. i was going to go for the de head until i found out it was a no go. cheapest ka24de head i've seen is $400 2nd hand.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2003, 06:53PM »
Seems a lot of drag KA's swap to the sohc head cos it's lighter and can breathe just as well.

trxadelaide

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2003, 06:53PM »
ohh.. sorry i didn't realise anyone had brought it up b4. i had a quick look and didn't c it in the previous posts....

the de doens't actually have less torque.. it's pushing 208nm but it makes it at 4400 instead of our 2800rpm.

what a pitty though that we cant just bolt the head on and go!!

Offline zac510

• antrx.com junior member
  • Not a llama, thanks!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2003, 11:35PM »
I've looked a little bit into KA24DEs. the timing cover is much different and there is some differences in the timing gear that may or may not be adaptable. until I see inside a DE inside the flesh I won't be sure.
It may very well be possible to just swap over the head and timing cover but in the long run it would be easier to swap the whole engine. as soon as you swap the head you run into possible problem with piston/valve clearance and other like interfacing the U12 distributor to the twin cam head.
The DE has a funny cam drive setup too, where there is a second chain that drives the two cams from the gear in the 'normal' position. I'm not sure why!

The turbo kits that are available are American which rules out most of the benefit to me. Just look into shipping of one of them and you'll see what I mean :)

trxadelaide

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2003, 03:50PM »
cheers 4 the extra info ZAC