Author Topic: catalytic converters  (Read 2569 times)

Offline stanza91fields

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
catalytic converters
« on: Apr 14, 2009, 11:44AM »
tell me what you think. gut the fiberglass, cat back, or straight pipe?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: catalytic converters
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2009, 12:21PM »
i'm not sure what the legalities are in america, but in australia, there are big fines involved if you gut your cat.

a few years ago i read an article by a performance car magazine that made an attempt to stop people from gutting their cat converters. they took a 200kw @ the wheels skyline with a good high flowing cat converter and they dyno tested it with the cat and then without, the car only dyno'd 2kw extra with the straight pipe. the car mag also mentioned in their article that the 2kw could be due to temperature changes or anything else minor that changed between the dyno runs. problem is though, i think every git that read the article thought that they could get 2kw from their hyundai getz if they put in a straight pipe.

if i were you, i'd go buy one of these:

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Category/Catalytic-Converters_2/Metal-Core-High-Flow-Catalytic-Converter

it'll keep you out of trouble with the police and the epa and you'll also get your extra 1kw over the stock cat ::)

also, i will add that i ran a gutted cat for a little while, the cat needed replacing and i didnt have the money to do it, so i gutted it to keep running my car (it was bogging down etc) the exhaust noise was absolutely ridiculous and the stink was horrendous.. but it did seem to go faster.. probably because of all the noise more than actually going any faster.

it took a total of about 2 months before i was sent a letter from the EPA for noise & to check if the catalytic converter was installed.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2009, 10:35PM »
Might be why my car is so noisy  ::)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline DeathPlaza

• antrx.com senior member
  • Stupid American
    • Ralphsquad
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2009, 09:16AM »
i'm not sure what the legalities are in america, but in australia, there are big fines involved if you gut your cat.
i believe there are certain states where there are absolutely no emissions regulations, florida and ohio or iowa from what i recall.  but the majority of states tampering any emission related component is illegal, not to mention you will never ever pass a smog test, asm or two-idle, without a cat.

In california modified exhaust has been increased from a fix-it ticket to a non correctable violation (bizzare),  my friend got a 900$ fine for "modified exhaust to increase noise" let me tell u his exhaust is nearly silent, its a 2.25 cat into 2.25 inch piping with a 2.5 inch LOOPBACK muffler.  you know the exhaust "modified to decrease noise" anyway long story short after 6 -9 months of court dates and hearings he got it reduced to $150.  apparently cops think when a car is engaging vtec it has no cat :|
I have a sunroof!

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2009, 01:31PM »
Replace the stocko cat with a 2nd hand Commo ones. U prob get 1 for $50. I think it's got 2.25" or 2.5" inlet/outlet, definitely enough to complement your exhaust system, unless yr car is running forced induction. :)

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2009, 10:17AM »
Good idea, but I don't think they have commo's in the US. I'm sure the is some sort of big American barge equivilent though.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2009, 12:45PM »
hahah no cat under vtec, lols
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline DeathPlaza

• Stupid American
    • Ralphsquad
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2009, 06:28AM »
hahah no cat under vtec, lols
try it with open header!  im glad my fillings are still in my teeth... well most of them neways

I have a sunroof!

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2009, 09:12AM »
I did a little lap in my st with open header, I don't have the balls to do a vtec pass because the neighbours would shoot me.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jaytee

• antrx.com junior member
  • [NVDIZ1]
« Reply #9 on: Jun 3, 2009, 11:37PM »
vtecs sound a little tinny without a cat i reckon. saw a nice CRX on the road on the way back from school and it was LOUD as hell. buh it looked like it lost some form of torque  :-\

'Not a member, Just a huge fan of them'

Rides:
'95 Honda XL250 mildly modded
'90 Corsair WIP

Offline DeathPlaza

• Stupid American
    • Ralphsquad
« Reply #10 on: Jun 5, 2009, 07:49AM »
yah the torque felt lower under 5 when i ran my b16 open header which isn't good cuz they're not incredibly torquey to begin with.  but i didn't do it for fun i dont remember what happened... i think my exhaust was broken but for some reason i had to run open header and i couldn't resist the urge to let the motor sing... er in this case scream.  doesn't sound good, probably loses torque, but definately an experience i wont forget haha.
I have a sunroof!