Author Topic: Starter Motor - JDM SSS - Hard to find?  (Read 5300 times)

Offline 573LF

• antrx.com junior member
Starter Motor - JDM SSS - Hard to find?
« on: Jun 19, 2012, 08:43PM »
Hi All, Long time.

My mechanic is having a hell of a time trying to locate a new starter motor for the Attesa. He has gone through about six, none of which fit.

He is under the impression that the bluebird sss import shares starters with the GTiR, but I just read a post here that even THAT can be tricky.

I.e. The manual GTiR starter fits a bluey auto whereas the manual bluey starter doesn't! And one has a longer nose cone and one more or less teeth (8 vs 9).

The info my mech gave me was that the alternator should have no snout (it should be flat where the gear comes out) as the ring gear on the flywheel is smaller than the flywheel rather that being typically the other way around.

My current alternator has already been recoed before, hence the hesitation to reco it again. In the process, all labels and numbers have been removed from it, so we have nothing much to go by.

It seems as though a few people on this forum have had no such drama locating one, so I was wondering if I could kindly have a lead or two.

I am happy to source one from interstate (I am in VIC) and if worse comes to worse, I'll settle for a reco'ed one.

Thanks peoples, in anticipation.

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Re: Starter Motor - JDM SSS - Hard to find?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2012, 01:10AM »
Hi All, Long time.

My mechanic is having a hell of a time trying to locate a new starter motor for the Attesa. He has gone through about six, none of which fit.

He is under the impression that the bluebird sss import shares starters with the GTiR, but I just read a post here that even THAT can be tricky.

I.e. The manual GTiR starter fits a bluey auto whereas the manual bluey starter doesn't! And one has a longer nose cone and one more or less teeth (8 vs 9).

The info my mech gave me was that the alternator should have no snout (it should be flat where the gear comes out) as the ring gear on the flywheel is smaller than the flywheel rather that being typically the other way around.

My current alternator has already been recoed before, hence the hesitation to reco it again. In the process, all labels and numbers have been removed from it, so we have nothing much to go by.

It seems as though a few people on this forum have had no such drama locating one, so I was wondering if I could kindly have a lead or two.

I am happy to source one from interstate (I am in VIC) and if worse comes to worse, I'll settle for a reco'ed one.

Thanks peoples, in anticipation.

I recently purchased a Bluebird Attessa and the guy I purchased it from stated he had to get the starter replaced. I think you can still get them or have your starter motor rebuilt? Don't have the car as yet so can't tell you any model numbers. Not sure if I will be able to see it either when I do :?

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2012, 01:45AM »
go to an auto ecec and get it rebuilt...
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline 573LF

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2012, 02:12PM »
Cheers for the responses fellas.

SR20ME - The previous owner didn't happen to mention who he gets to source his parts, did he?

I need my car back soon but I guess we have to go with rebuilding, yet again. Hopefully the guy can make it heavier duty while he's at it.

I still can't believe that none of us can find an Attesa workshop manual. Even if its in Jap, I would pay someone to translate it. I heard there is a Bluebird section in one of the GTiR manuals.

Anyway, if anyone happens to have a stock starter sitting around, pls feel free to gimme the part number etc.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2012, 01:04AM »
i recently did the sr20 starter hunt. from what i could find there are only 2 types apart from the ve. the gtir is 9 teeth others are 8 . i have it in a thread somewhere. the auto elec that did mine had both the others on the shelf ..

skype_shannan801

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2012, 10:42AM »
Pedro AWD starters are different to the FWD variations.

I swapped my flywheel to an AWD version and in doing so needed a starter to suit, I had to get one from a member on here otherwise I would have been stuffed.

I tried ones from RWD S15 with no success as they bolt to the block/bellhousing in a different manner.

Check with Lgee on the forums, he has a u13, may know or be able to tell you part numbers etc...a PM to him may help.

Good Luck!
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2012, 11:48PM »
twas i that supplied young Kranzy with said starter motor, i have a spare but i aint parting with it, really i just bought one from Gerry at autopuls in dandenong from a gtir must be flat faced correct, bolted it in and it was good from the get go, i have had a few parts from the many engines and boxes i have bought, but i have culled it down to 3 engines and 3 gearboxes :-)

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2012, 04:20PM »
When my start motor shat it on my bluebird (its a u12 with a u13 engine in it) i took it to an auto electrician to get a new one fitted and they had no issue on getting a new one to stick on that im awear of. That said it did happen 1-2 years ago but surely not much has changed since then :S?
"Noss is God"

Offline 573LF

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2012, 12:22PM »
Drove all the way to Campellfield and picked up a starter for $175. Long drive to pay a lot of money. One lot were selling starters for $90 but they only had auto ones. Anyway, finally picked up a glove box too, for $50! Talked 'em down to $45 and then whipped out the credit card. Still felt ripped-off, but sometimes who can be bothered doing the wrecking one's self? And who has the room for a $50 AUD U13 wreck?

Anyway, to answer my question, yes, it is hard to find a starter, especially for a manual at the moment.

Oh thanks for reminding me of Autopuls... I live in Dandy too.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2012, 06:33PM »
Which wrecker did you get it from in Campellfield mate?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline 573LF

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2012, 02:05AM »
G'day Budgie, got it from Japart import wreckers on mason street. Not only do they wreck on-site, but they order in containers of parts from cars wrecked in Japan.

The guy I spoke to there also happened to be the nephew of Nick at Jap Heaven in Epping, who owns an Attesa and who, I reckon would have a wealth of knowledge I'm looking forward to tapping into next time I make it past the city.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2012, 10:06PM »
the u13 on the jap heaven site?

skype_shannan801

Offline 573LF

« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2012, 11:21PM »
the u13 on the jap heaven site?

yeah, i'm pretty sure that's his "attesa"...