Author Topic: New comer needs help to start up car, how can I get the Knock sensor out?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline tommy

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Dear all, I have got a 94 Bluebird automatic. It is a U13 engine and I cannot start the engine.

I had connected computer to the car and the error code was 34.  The car had stalled several times on the road at the middle of my driving for couple weeks.

I had sent the car for repair and the shop changed the distributor for me.  It only ran for two days and I cannot start the car completely.

I don't want to waste any money by sending the car to the shop, so, I try to repair the car by myself.

Would anyone kind enough to give me some advice of where to locate the knock sensor.  I had tried to remove the front wheel from the steeling wheel side and could not find the sensor.       

Offline SRU13

• antrx.com junior member
Cant really see the knock sensor making it not start id be looking more at that distributor u just had fitted was it new?  and if new was it genuine or a china copy one as i have seen these fail in a day  id be checking to see if u have spark etc and check the plugs on the distibutor /leads incase they didnt put them in properly

also where ya at man

Offline tommy

I am in Melbourne.  I will check the spark.  The part looks new to me.  I don't know whether it is genuine.

Offline tommy

I had checked the spark with an external plug and I saw sparks.

I had tried to disconnect the host and fuel comes out.

Still no uck to start.

I am not sure what the components are.  Please tell me.

Offline tommy

Should I look into the fuel injectors?  I could not remove them.

Offline tommy

Any body can help out?  I had changed a new set of Igniter leads and could not start the car.  Next thing I will try is the injectors.  Please comment how I can do that in a safe manner.

Offline tommy

I nearly removed the whole injector mechanism without draining the fuel from the hoist. 

However, I had tried to disconnect one of the plug to the knock sensor and the engine coolant sensor.

I thought I might give it a go before I removed the injector mechanism.  You know what, the car started.

So, I connected the computer to the car and error coded 11 and 34.

I reconnected the plug and the car started this time with the error coded 34.

So, it is the knock sensor giving me all these problem. 

My next task is to remove the knock sensor.  Any one? Please.

Offline tommy

It looked like a joke to me when I was underneath the car and located the knock sensor.  There was a big hoist and clamp directly in front of the screw of the sensor.  I didn't know the size of the screw and could not put any tool to it because a lot of things were on the way.  My hand blocked my view when I tried to access the screw.  There was not enough room for me to disconnect the plug on the sensor.  I think when I figure out a method to remove the sensor, I can disconnect the plug from outside.  I am thinking of a long thin tool to reach the screw and does not block my view. 

Offline tommy

I managed to fit the spanner onto the screw of the knocking sensor and I could not undo the screw. 

I did not have enough strength to turn the screw.

There was not enough space for me to use hammer or other supporting tool to undo the screw.

The more I worked onto the car, the more I appreciate the mechanics.

I still don't know how I can remove the knocking sensor. 

I am not sure what will happen if I drive the car without the sensor being connected. That is open wire.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
If it runs OK without the knock sensor connected just leave the wire off?  Stupid things anyway, my car was knocking bad a while back due to the wrong fuel pressure, still started fine though.  Pretty sure knock sensors are useless and have a short life.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
You can bypass the knock sensor with a resistor, which is what I have done. Will have to double check what resister I used.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline tommy

How many ohms?

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
i used 500k or 1M ....forget which one now. Both should work.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline tommy

Yes, I used 560K and there was no more error code.  The car runs a lot smooth.  Thank you.

Offline Aceius

the only problem with removing the knock sensor is that now the computer wont automatically advance and retard the timing based on fuel quality. because of this, there's the danger that it'll start pinging if it gets a batch of crap fuel. if there is too much pinging, you can burn a valve out, or the slight "knocks" will eventually crack something.

However, on cars of that age, the danger isnt great, as the timing will only advance so far, and fuel quality has improved greatly since then, so it probably wont advance far enough to cause a problem.