Author Topic: Front Speakers (yes I know its been done to death....)  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
But hear me out! I don't want to dredge up old threads and I can't find any decent answers to what I am after. I have no idea when it comes to sound stuff.....

Basically I need new speakers, I have killed the front ones and the back ones sound shithouse anyway.

I don't want an amp or subs, and I want it to be as cheap as possible. Ie running all 4 from my Pioneer head unit.

I have tried to find out if just replacing the stock 4 x 6's with JBL ones will actually improve sound quality. I don't particularly want to go chopping up my interior as that'l reduce resale. Obviously any new speaker will improve over my current cracked speakers, but is it worth $100 getting them?

And can I put 6" speakers in the rear parcel shelf? Or is this a waste of time and should I get 6x9's. I don't particularly want a new parcel shelf.

Cheers fellas and appologies if this has been covered to death.

Chad

First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: Front Speakers (yes I know its been done to death....)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2005, 08:54PM »
Chad, those JBL sound very good, personally im very impressed with them, as for the rear, probably stick with 6's, Kenwood KFCM1625ie, they are shallow enough to fit without loosing sound quality, and they also sound tops, you can get away with a pair of both for under $200

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2005, 02:03PM »
thats what I wanted to hear  ;D

I assume the JBL's will bolt straight in at the front and the 6" will need a spacer.

Cheers SSStick.

Chad

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2005, 12:30PM »
nah the 6" are shallow enough to drop straight in, and yeah, the 4x6s will bolt straight up

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2005, 01:18PM »
beauty, cheers mate.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2005, 12:51PM »
eclipse also make a 6x4 speaker, I was highgly impressed with the sound of thier coaxials. 6x4s are the way if you are not interested in chopping up the door trim. Fitting 6's in the back will mean less chopping and no need for risers.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2005, 02:05PM »
fcuk gettin cheapo shite (imo). get quality stuff that will last - unless ur plannin on sellin then the cheapo stuff will do to satisfy the buyer that the speakers work

I don't want an amp or subs, and I want it to be as cheap as possible. Ie running all 4 from my Pioneer head unit.

i thought i didn't want amps and subs either, but then the bug bites u...... i've ended up gettin a 4 channel amp, but have now lost the fader control from me h/u, as the pioneer one i've got now only has 1 preout for speakers and 1 for sub. thus i 'need' to upgrade me h/u.

anywho, decision is urs, but i rekon if u plan on keepin ur car for a while and don't want hassels of speakers crackling and what not, get some good quality ones
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2005, 06:46PM »
Not everyones into serious systems for there car and as such might only want to spend as little as they need to get them by. This set up may last him as long as he needs if he's sensible and doesnt drive them too hard.

i thought i didn't want amps and subs either, but then the bug bites u...... i've ended up gettin a 4 channel amp, but have now lost the fader control from me h/u, as the pioneer one i've got now only has 1 preout for speakers and 1 for sub. thus i 'need' to upgrade me h/u.

Do they channels have gain control on them? if so you might be able to adjust the gain a little bit on the front and rears to save you buying a head unit if you dont need it. Obviously if your wanting to adjust them a fair bit then using gain control wont help but its always an option.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2005, 08:08PM »
hehe yep, I am the ultimate stooge when it comes to sound control. If a friend tries to turn up the head unit above my self imposed limit, I'll turn it down. I was trying to save my stock speakers so I didn't have to replace em!  ;D

They are well and truly cactus now though, so cheapest (within reson) will suffice. The car will get sold middle of next year anyway.

Chad

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2005, 08:32PM »
What happened to weight reduction for the hillclimbs? :P

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2005, 08:51PM »
cheap speakers..wont have huge magnets...so its a win win solution :P
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2005, 06:03PM »
Not everyones into serious systems for there car and as such might only want to spend as little as they need to get them by. This set up may last him as long as he needs if he's sensible and doesnt drive them too hard.

Do they channels have gain control on them? if so you might be able to adjust the gain a little bit on the front and rears to save you buying a head unit if you dont need it. Obviously if your wanting to adjust them a fair bit then using gain control wont help but its always an option.

yeah fair point! i just like to have good sound when driving around. me mate and i tried muckin about with the 'gain control' and what not when we installed me amp, but i didn't really like the sound of it. i'm a bit picky that way, so i'm probably gonna upgrade me h/u over summer sometime
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2005, 09:19PM »
cheap speakers..wont have huge magnets...so its a win win solution :P

Cheap speakers generally have larger magnets!!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2005, 11:53PM »
Hmm ok...might be the case with car audio...i was going of pa systems as im far more up to date with them. Car speakers may be different as i spose space is an issue.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2005, 12:30AM »
yeah, because they are a shit speaker, they need a larger magnet to create try and make equal power

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2005, 05:41PM »
yeah, because they are a shit speaker, they need a larger magnet to create try and make equal power

Yeah u should see the magnets on my "Funky sound" speakers. Its Fukin massive!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2005, 05:58PM »
funky massive??  :D

Offline Trx

• antrx.com full member
  • 1990 Tr.x white
« Reply #17 on: Nov 3, 2005, 09:23PM »
Lol .. i got a set of old alpines were the tweeters r stuffed but the bottom part is good n they pump out some good beats still lol .. i dun have them connected tho

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #18 on: Nov 3, 2005, 10:43PM »
can u not post crap in my thread please. It was nice and clean before.